Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

VMM 2820 Shutting Down

I have been having an issue with my headlights, driving lights, turn signals and over head fans shutting down at 15-20 intervals and stay off for about 1-2 seconds. It acts like a reset for lack of a better description.

I am connected to shore power at the moment, the problem occurs plugged in or not. Key in the on position or acc position.

The Power Distribution Module in front of the pass seat is all lit, every light. When the problem occurs the VMM goes black for 1-2 seconds and then comes right back on like it was before the occurrence. The PDM doesn't flicker. Just like a reset! The VMM has inputs 1, 3, 5, 14 and 18 lit and outputs 7, 9, 15, 16 and 17 lit.

Along with this issue I have no jack down alarm, no audible turn signal flasher click and also no tone, other than a buzz, when the dash runs through the bulb gauge test sequence.

I have been chasing this off and on for a couple of weeks and I'm narrowing it down a little. Dr Dave has offered up a few suggestions but so far no luck.

With the ignition sw off all of the lights on the VMM blink, is this normal?

Any idea what could be causing this??

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #2

I looked through your other posts responses. Another suggestion is to exchange your VMM's from front to rear and see if it makes any difference.

Also you said all your grounds are tight,but did you take them apart and clean them. WRV did a good job of painting the frame, but when they connected the ground wires, they did not scrape the paint off the frame. The reason, I know about clean tight connections, even though I bought my rv new, it sat on the coast probably for a couple years. I did have corrosion on connections. I went through, cleaned every connection both hot and ground.

Also I recently talked to Cummins Coach service manager. He also told me because of WRV's painted frames, he has seen more ground problems recently.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #3

Kraig,

Thanks for the response.

I checked the grounds and hot connections all are clean and tight. Had them apart. I also put a wrench on every connection to make sure things are tight.

I am thinking that my next move will be to swap the front and rear VMMs and see what happens. I will do that today.

In one of the earlier posts Engineer Mike asked about my dash start up sequence and jack alarms etc. I have no jack down alarm, no turn signal audible click and no tones(?) on the gauge start up sequence. I don't know if this is related because for the year and a half I've had my Alpine there haven't been any alarms etc.

Watching the front VMM I would say that it is re booting, it is happening pretty consistently, 15- 20 minutes. It goes dead, all lights come on and then it settles into it's normal state. Everything up front works until the re boot and things are off for 1-2 seconds.

I have read through the Vansco stuff on the ACA site and I think I have a handle on swapping them. A little tentative, these things ain't exactly cheap!

Thanks, Terry
Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Getting ready to swap the Vanscos front to rear. They appear to be the same as far as connectors etc but their physical appearance is different, Just wondering if in fact they are both the same or if maybe one is newer than the other??

Terry
Old 07-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, there are two different types of module in the coach. Both the Vansco in front of the passenger seat and the one in the battery compartment should be identical. The Power Distribution Module is different. You can swap the Vansco modules, if either one does not have the program they will automatically reload it from the good one.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #6

Kraig and Dave,

Thanks for the guidance. I was a little concerned about the labeling on the two units. Turns out the front one was built 12/2010 and the rear was built 8/2004.

I swapped them out and watched the rear VMM, now in the front. for over an hour, no issues. I went out and watched the front, now in the rear, and after about 15 minutes it re booted. I did this twice and then I started the engine and let if run and at the end of 15 minutes it shut the engine off.

Looks to me like I've proved that the VMM is bad. I will do some looking on line and maybe get with TJShively, I believe he was the last person to replace one, and find out how to order a new one.

I find it curious that this new one will be the third one to go in the front while the rear, out in the elements, is still the original. I am wondering if there is something going on that is damaging the units???

Anyway, looks like I've found my problem. I will keep the old one as a spare that I can use in the front in the event of another failure. It's useable as long as you drive during the day and you don't care if the fan goes off every 15 minutes

Once again I appreciate all of the help and I'll break out my wallet,
Terry
Old 07-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #7

There is only one distributor for Vansco.
JCA Electronics
Winnipeg Manitoba
204 489 5104
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, I would call JCA and ask them about what has been replaced in the past and what could be causing the recurring issue.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #9

Dave and Kraig,

I will call JCA Monday morning and see if I can talk to tech support. It might be just coincidence that this has been replaced once before, who knows? The rear VMM has apparently been in there for 11+ years without an issue.

The VMM seems to perform all functions correctly, it just keeps re booting, it is at fifteen minutes now, you can almost set your watch by it. It acts like it was built that way.

Like I said before I'll keep the old one as a spare and if I ever need to I can swap the new one to the rear and stick this one in the front so as not to be stuck somewhere.

I appreciate al of your help and I will post the outcome when all is said and done.

I think I'll start another thread about the jack alarm, no tone on the gauge check sequence and no turn signal flasher click. Engineer Mike asked about those items and except for the jack alarm I figured they were working normally. Mike talked like there should be an audible click from the turn signals and a tone from the dash gauge sequence. I figured that the jack alarm was probably just unplugged and really didn't think much more about it. Do you guys have any thoughts on these items??

Thanks again, Terry
Old 07-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Dave and Kraig,

I will call JCA Monday morning and see if I can talk to tech support. It might be just coincidence that this has been replaced once before, who knows? The rear VMM has apparently been in there for 11+ years without an issue.

The VMM seems to perform all functions correctly, it just keeps re booting, it is at fifteen minutes now, you can almost set your watch by it. It acts like it was built that way.

Like I said before I'll keep the old one as a spare and if I ever need to I can swap the new one to the rear and stick this one in the front so as not to be stuck somewhere.

I appreciate al of your help and I will post the outcome when all is said and done.

I think I'll start another thread about the jack alarm, no tone on the gauge check sequence and no turn signal flasher click. Engineer Mike asked about those items and except for the jack alarm I figured they were working normally. Mike talked like there should be an audible click from the turn signals and a tone from the dash gauge sequence. I figured that the jack alarm was probably just unplugged and really didn't think much more about it. Do you guys have any thoughts on these items??

Thanks again, Terry

It sounds like you are on the right track with the Vansco, maybe JCA knows what is triggering the problem. When you told us the dates of the units it was obvious the front one had been replaced.

There should be a click from the turn signal, but frankly I had dash problems in 2007 and during that time I had the shop that was doing warranty repair disable it. I never asked how they did it, and never had it changed back. I am not sure if they disabled it, or just put tape over the speaker/clicker, however since nothing else is silenced, I am thinking the turn signal clicking was disabled.

When you turn on the ignition the gauges should go through a boot sequence that moves the dials to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full, during this time there are tones from the dash, it may be the same speaker as the turn signals, but I doubt it, that is working on my coach.

I would think the jack alarm is triggered by the HWH, but "Jacks Down" appears on the Actia display and probably sounds from there also. These may all be the same issue, sound from the Actia panel.