Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

VMSpc Error Codes

When on the last leg of our journey to southern Texas for the winter I saw the Engine Maint light and the Stop Engine light come on. The Maint light stayed on but the Engine Stop light would go on and off. I pulled over and looked at the engine but saw no noticeable problems. Since we were out in the middle of nowhere I elected to keep on going until we reached our destination, about 60 miles. The only adverse effect I noticed was a lack of power when pressing the throttle to the floor. We were able to do 60mph since it was on level ground but on any slight incline we lost mph and when I pressed the accelerator to the floor I would initiate the Stop Engine light. I did change the fuel filter on the side of the road but that did not help.

Below are the codes I copied from the VMSpc Recent Diagnostic Events log. This is a 330hp ISC engine with 91k

ENG SID 233 12 Controller #2 Bad Program 10/20/11 8:13
ENG SID 233 12 Controller #2 Bad Program 10/25/11 10:40
ENG SID 233 12 Controller #2 Bad Program 10/27/11 8:11
ENG PID 94 2 Fuel Delivery Pressure Invalid Data 10/27/11 9:15
ENG SID 152 7 UNKNOWN COMPONENT Not Responding 10/27/11 9:15

I have several months to fix this but am wondering where to start?
gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
When I had an error message on the VMSpc in my '01 coach, Cummins could not use that info. I took the coach in and they used their computer to read the error codes in the engine computer to find the problem. The VMSpc codes did not match any of the Cummins codes.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
How old is the air cleaner? Check all the turbo hoses all over the engine compartment. Their color should be orange, if you have any blue ones, they might have holes in them, and are causing a loss of power which would cause the system to throw codes. I agree with Dals's post, have cummings hook up to it, and they immediately can tell you what is wrong. Internal problems won't show up readily, so they need to diagnose it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Check turbo pressure output, could be the boot connecting tubo output to CAC inlet has some damage.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #5

Dale,

Seems odd that the codes from the VMSpc would not match the Cummins ones? What is the point of displaying them if they don't mean anything?

Air cleaner is new, so will check all the turbo hoses next.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

Greg-
1) your engine is either "derating" (going into some level of limp mode), or suffering a fuel delivery problem that precludes full power, IF the Fuel Delivery Pressure error has any truth behind it.
2) Also possible you have a turbo problem, but you would probably hear a difference if its the rubber elbow blown out. Probably wouldn't if the Charge Air Cooler (CAC or Intercooler) is ruptured, but that usually doesn't present suddenly.

IIWMI'd give at least a modicum of creedence to the fuel issue. Could be the Injector Pump (IP) is deteriorating inside (hope not) or that your Lift Pump (LP) has quit or isn't pushing fuel to the IP. Could be air introduced into the line (rare but it doesn't matter when something rare happens, its still happening) at a filter gasket.
Start w/the easy audio-test for lift pump- have a friendly helper turn the key ON but not to START while you listen at the motor. LP is on PS forward, and you should be able to put your hand on it from below; it looks like a fuel pump. It should kick on for 20-30 seconds with a sort of whine. If no whine, the pump is dead. If it does whine, next step is fuel pressure check (splice into fuel line between LP and IP w/gauge, should get 6-9psi IIRC). A shop would be equipped for this if you are not.

This thread carries a lot of useful info for administrative (owner) consideration for your symptoms. Click on the Cummins Forum (top of page) when you have read that thread, do a search on "lift pump" and "power loss" and you should have all the tools needed to move forward.

Word of caution- IP rebuild is expensive. LP not working will starve IP of fuel which is its only lubricant. IIWMIWouldn't drive the rig much before getting it fixed. Cheaper that way. Let us know how it shakes out.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #7

Greg- fyi: VMS and Cummins don't communicate. VMS takes certain Cummins info, processes it & reports, but Cummins doesn't take anything from VMS. So the difference in "error codes" is VMS's processing, & for whatever reason they don't necessarily report Cummins codes. Might be a proprietary issue like copyright. Also, there can be communication issues where Cummins boot-up & VMS boot up don't match & VMS will report an error due to the mis-match, for which there is no error in the Cummins ECU.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #8

Thanks e-mike great post! When I changed the fuel filter I did turn the key on several times without starting and heard the pump prime up so suppose that means that the LP is OK?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #9

Sound means its running, doesn't mean its producing 6-9psi; could be spinning.
You could do a quickie cheat & crack the fuel line at the remote fuel filter to see if you get healthy fuel squirt out during that cycling. Not real neat, or definitive as to actual pressure, but a seat of the pants check any wrench can do (requiring some serious cleanup, I hope).

Do you have two filters, one on the block? Not sure why some have one and others two. Those who believed the remote was the only one sometimes go a decade or more never changing the block filter, then SURPRISE!!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #10

Upon further inspection I have found that the lift pump has a leak. Seems to be leaking toward the front (of the MH) and above the LP motor, I assume, that suspends below the pump and has power going to it.

Are there any serviceable parts for this or just a replacement? Anyone done a replacement, seems doable?

e-mike, I don't believe I have a secondary filter, at least not one I have noticed yet.

Thanks,
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #11

Per Cummins that's a replacement item. Your performance issue could be its sucking air at the leak if its that noticeable.
Sounds like new LP is the first step, cleanup is second. Hopefully carefree driving is third.