Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
After starting the cold engine I get a heavy voltage draw for about 1 second, three or four times about 30 seconds apart. I can hear the engine noise change as it puts a load on the alternator. Any ideas what or why??
Brad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
After starting the cold engine I get a heavy voltage draw for about 1 second, three or four times about 30 seconds apart. I can hear the engine noise change as it puts a load on the alternator. Any ideas what or why??
Brad
Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If you have a Cummins, it's the air intake grid heater cycling to warm the incoming air for a starting aid when it's cold.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by two sailors:
Brad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dirk has it right - I'd just add you may be able to hear the heater cycling even before you start engine as you wait on WAIT dash light to extingish for same reason i.e. the heater is cycling on and off to preheat air in intake.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
That's a relief!! Thank you very much. It is sure nice to have access to so much experience.

Brad
Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #6

Observed the same thing afew days ago for the first time when I was starting up the coach in preparation to takeing it out for a winter run.

Thanks for the information as to why the voltage varies during start-up.
heavyequiptmentmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #7

My prior coach w/ Cummins ISB did the same thing. Would cycle 2-4X after starting. You could watch the voltmeter moving during this process.

Dirk has it nailed (as usual).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dirk has it nailed (as usual). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only because it happened to me last year, and I had to ask.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Dirk, I have a related question. I have a internal 120 volt engine block heater to use in cold weather. Would that prevent the heater grids from cycling if I preheated with the 120 volt system first?

Oh, and does the light go off in the refridgerator when I close the door?

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #10

Sarge, no it does not. My old 1996 Dodge CTD would cycle the intake heater just the same. Reason? The incoming air must be warm enough to support, then sustain, auto-ignition.
FWIW- never use starting fluid with a grid heater equipped engine!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never been anywhere cold enough to use the block heater, and don't intend to!

However, I agree with Ray's post.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:07 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, me too. I have had the rig almost 2 years and haven't turned on the heater switch yet....

I have had something diesel for about 10 years so I was well aware of the no starting fluid rule. I had a 97 Dodge diesel that could wake the neighborhood on a cold morning.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
I've never been anywhere cold enough to use the block heater, and don't intend to!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It an urban legend that a block heater doesn't need to be used in warmer climates. The use of the block heater to prevent "cold" start and subsequent possible piston scuffing is desirable. In fact, emergency standby generators often are setup to have block heater on 100% of time and it's non-operation ranks around #6 on top 10 reasons for failures of emergency gensets. #10 is run out of fuel.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't know about an urban legend, but if that's the case, Cummins doesn't make it very well known.