Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #1

Wall Issue with a 36 Ft. Apline Coach 2006 Model Year

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Father's Day.
Well, I've seem to have come across a new issue with my Coach and this one is a one I hope no one else has.
It's along the right wall of the coach, just between the lower edge of the windows and the wood paneling. Seems something is growing between the wall and the wall paper (or wall covering). It feels a little soft, I can push in on it with my fingers. Never seen it before, but it looks like it's getting worst and I have no idea what it could be.
Please look at the attached pictures and give me your thoughts as to what it could be and how one might try to fix it.
Thanks again Everyone.
Roger

p.s. It's the first time uploading a picture, sure hope it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2010003_(4)[1].JPG
Views:	151
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	4398  
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #2

Water damage with result mold?
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #3

I have some of that under the driver's side window. Came w/the coach but I didn't spot it during PDI, but it hasn't changed since new. Feels like hard rubber (has some elastic give to it but not a lot). I think it is bonding compound for the vacu-bonded wall panel that decided to migrate. Now that you have photos you can monitor it closely.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Possible leaks thru windows

I had the same thing on our 06 under the window on a 06 34. Removed wall paper and plywood. Cleaned with a chorlox solution twice and painted. Then replaced wall board and painted and watch to see if there was any leaks.We thought the windows above leaked so we sealed all around the windows on the whole coach. That seems to have stopped any more evidence of leaks. Farmer Brown
Farmer Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
All - Think I have posted this before.

In RVTC Training, it was recommended that all exterior windows be removed, re-butyl vinyl tape replaced, and then re-installed. Then I would put a very tiny bead of Silicone Clear outdoor caulk on the edge of the frame all the way around. Then kneed this seam a tiny bit with a wet finger to break the surface tension. The cleaning method I would use to remove the old stuff after removing the window would be rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner. However be very careful with the Lacquer thinner as it will remove paint. This is to prevent separating of the materials in the sidewall and prevent any mold growing. You will need help with the big windows. I would highly recommend this to all of us, because WRV did not seem to clean any surfaces prior to installing the front windows, so why should I assume they cleaned the sidewalls before installing the outside windows. My bathroom window leaked into the coach, but I just sealed the outside while on the road. It needs to come out and the procedure above applied and reinstalled.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I have some of that under the driver's side window. Came w/the coach but I didn't spot it during PDI, but it hasn't changed since new. Feels like hard rubber (has some elastic give to it but not a lot). I think it is bonding compound for the vacu-bonded wall panel that decided to migrate. Now that you have photos you can monitor it closely.
I think you're right on this one Mike, That's the same thing I was telling the wife. It feels like that when I push on it. Any ideas on how to fix it? Seem to be getting bigger and spreading.
Roger
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #7

Monty - looks like I have the same issue - from floor level to about a foot up directly underneath the bathroom window. Nothing bubbling up yet, just a lot of crinkly wall and rough texture compared to that above about a foot from the floor. Will add it to my list. Does it ever end??
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #8

It'll involve a piece of new wallpaper. I'm thinking either a sharp putty knife or a very light touch sanding job w/an orbital type sander. An old, well used 4" taping knife probably has a nice edge on it and a good feel to take the stuff down even.

Since mine is where I keep the tool bag that EngineerAnnie lovingly refers to as the Man Purse, the pimples are not visible. There I believe I could do a dab sort of paint job that would be unnoticed (but then since I never notice, this is way down the list). In the bathroom, maybe the better half would like a new motif when the papering gets done? Maybe a nice M.C.Escher pattern?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
You know in retrospect, I'll bet its urethane sealant which squeezed out around the window when it was installed. First it's sort of hard, and sort of soft, so that might be what it is. If no wall separation is occurring that is my guess. WRV did not clean anything before working on a system, so it's also possible that other types of sealant are under the vinyl paper. When we vacuumed the space under the kitchen slide, we got out all kinds of junk, pieces of wire, pipe, dirt and stuff. I have rough installs of the vinyl paper in the drivers side window as well, like its crinkled a litle from being pulled when not set correctly. I don't worry about it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same issue in a Fourwinds Hurricane and posted a message with photos last night. The substance is dry and feels like popcorn, it is not wet. See http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/stran...tml#post657702 for photos.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #11

Here is a great theory that won't help anyone:
In layup of the vacu-bonded wall panels, they squirted in glue and/or sealant, and/or multi-part foam compounds, and/or other goop. Then applied monster pressure w/the vacuum bonding process. Within the assembly there were areas w/excess fluid like substances, and because of the cured assembly the fluid like substances remained flowable for some time. Eventually, like the eruption of a zit, here comes the pimple as the fluid like substance finds a teeny hole thru which to escape. Once escaped, the fluid like substance ceases fluidity and hardens.
Now, whether any of that is even remotely resembling reality, I still need to clean the zits off the wall some day, & patch the finish.
The good thing is this stuff doesn't appear to be flowing. Mine appears to have reached a sort of stalemate and hasn't grown in at least 18 months. Perhaps its a condition that will be covered under my new Obamacare.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
We had a similar issue which turned out to be mold resulting from a water leak in the big bedroom window. The repair was to strip off the wallpaper and paint the area with klitz paint. I believe this inhibits the mold from recurring. The problem is replacing the wallpaper. We ended up having Davis Cabinets put a wood panel over the affected area.
Good luck. Doug
Doug & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Based on the photo and the ones on the other forum, it looks like everyday dry-rot. It starts with water intrusion, but once started, needs no moisture. It continues to consume the wood.

In homes, the piece is cut out, usually for an additional foot or two and replaced. In this situation, it is being somewhat retarded by the vinyl cover. There are chemicals to treat infected wood and would probably be fine in such a small area. Just stop the leak from above first.

After stopping the spread, you'll need to treat and cover or replace the area. Fancy a lovely wainscot treatment?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #14

This is from Post#9 of this thread covering an essentially identical issue:
Here is the answer I received from Fourwinds. "The bumps is caused by water intrusion from a window or exterior molding leaking due to the sealer having gaps. The first thing that needs to be done is to have the wall paper removed then sand down the bumps and apply Kilz's primer let dry for 24 hrs, then reapply new wall paper."