Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #1

Wanted, Vansco 2820, JCA is out of stock

Please Help! I am hoping to buy someones spare Parker Vansco VMM 2820. JCA is out of stock till July.
Thanks GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

I may have missed something but have you posted about the VMM issues you are having? Also have you swapped the front and rear VMMs to make sure the problem follows? Like I said I may have missed a post or two if so please bare with me.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

He did post at the end of "Got our spare Vanscos today" that he is currently stranded.
No details on whereabouts or troubleshooting methods.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #4

Yes I have swapped front and rear VMM, and I'm still having failure on one of the units. ie the lights are not flashing the same. I have no Cruise control, wipers, high beams, and the big one, the engine shuts off when you are slowing down to make a stop. Making the coach undrivable. I have reached out to JCA and they will be out of stock till July. I was planning on purchasing 2 VMM to carry a spare like several members have suggested. I will be getting a spare in july, but until then, I'm hoping someone will sell me there's so I can get on the road again.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #5

Coupla more questions,

Iím trying to understand your problem, when my front unit failed the unit would reboot every 15 minutes which shut off my headlights, cab fans and a few other items but other than that it functioned well enough for me to complete a vacation and troubleshoot when I got home.

When I got home and started checking I swapped the front and rear to see if the problem followed, it did. The rear worked fine in the front, everything functioned normally, but, the front one when moved to the rear would cause the engine to shut down every 15 minutes, not a good situation. I swapped them back to their original positions and ordered a new unit. What Iím getting at is the partially working one was good enough for a few weeks on vacation because the only night driving I did was the one morning that I discovered the problem.

I think we could use a little clearer explanation of your issues if you donít mind.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #6

TGP- the cruise doesn't run thru the VMMs. I'm wondering if you have correctly diagnosed the issue.
Cruise control (CC) goes from the SmartWheel (SW) to the SW Module to the Actia Speedometer on 05-09 rigs, and then by J1939 protocol digital signal to the engine's computer (ECU). Wiper signals go from SW to SW Module to the wiper motor (that's a quick read of the wire schematic, so don't consider it dispositive of VMM problems entirely). And finally, the headlight high beam function runs from switch to the front VMM upper left connector Pin#6, but to actuate the function it has to have access to Ground which comes off a one-pin connector to the column that has a single black #18 wire labelled 4435T. If that 4435T wasn't making ground to the column to allow the high beam switch to ground the VMM J2 plug Pin#6, then all these functions are explained w/out a bad VMM.

That leaves the engine quitting which may or may not be a VMM issues also. I can unplug the rear VMM and hot wire the engine start relay to run the engine, so truly, I'm questioning if you have a bad VMM or some other problem(s).
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Wanted, Vansco 2820, JCA is out of stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks GP View Post
Yes I have swapped front and rear VMM, and I'm still having failure on one of the units. ie the lights are not flashing the same. I have no Cruise control, wipers, high beams, and the big one, the engine shuts off when you are slowing down to make a stop. Making the coach undrivable. I have reached out to JCA and they will be out of stock till July. I was planning on purchasing 2 VMM to carry a spare like several members have suggested. I will be getting a spare in july, but until then, I'm hoping someone will sell me there's so I can get on the road again.

If you let us know what lights are flashing when you have the VMMís in both normal and swapped positions we can assist you in confirming your diagnosis. As EM stated, something in you post does not sound right. There is a lot of information about the VMMís in the Alpine Tech Library
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

here is a file showing 2004 m.y. normal light status for PDM & VMM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004m.y. VMM LED Status.pdf (2.78 MB, 93 views)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

Finally got my VMM from JCA. coach is up and running again. Now my fridge and other 120 V plugs are not working, both on shore power or inverter.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #10

….your 120v issues sound like the by-pass circuit on the inverter, did you check breakers and fuses [fuses--depend on brand/model of inverter]….could also be one or both legs of the auto transfer switch, but would look at breakers and inverter first....don't think any of these new 120v AC issues are related to Vansco swap-out.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
When on shore power are you plugged into a 50 amp plug, or are you using one or more adaptors?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #12

Thanks for the input.
Yes I understand that the inverter is not related to the VMM, Coach is running and driving again.
Yes I have a 50 amp shore power. I have checked all of the breakers and small fuses in the coach. I have also done a reboot of the inverter and reset it to the factory defaults. I'm using a xantrex inverter 2000 watt prosign 2.0. the inverter is saying Input voltage to high 16 volts. I have 6 new 6 volts batteries putting out 12.25.volts at the battery terminals. I can only find one GFCI breaker outlet on the coach, however there is no power getting to any of the outlets. also since i purchased the coach last summer the residential factory installed fridge has never worked off of just the inventor.