Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Water Filter

Every place I look, I see a remark about the wonderful water filter on my 2005 Alpine 38ft. I even have a service printout on how to clean the filter. It says it is a Filtercold Microlene water filtration System, but I can not find it. Asked some service people with no luck. I was told the filter in our Amana refridgerator must be it, but that does not make sense to me. Anybody know where it is ?? Thanks
Dave Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #2

It is attached to the hose that feeds your drinking water spigot at the kitchen sink. It is about 6" long & about 2" in diameter. It is an in-line filter for that drinking faucet only. It has what are commonly used on air hose fittings which you pull back & pull the filter out on both ends. You can get a picture of it on Microlene's site. The number is on the filter. I can't remember it off the top of my head.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Dave and Ted,

I was just looking this up on the SFES website (Microlene site). The part number is GC1V and you can use this link for more info.

http://www.sfes.com/microlene.pdf

SFES is Southeast Filtration Equipment, in Georgia, at 770-720-2800. We've got the same filter in our 2004 Alpine and I try to remember to replace it annually. I'll be phoning them tomorrow for a price. Ours has the quick-disconnect fittings.

So ... how do you clean this filter Dave? It's one solid piece with no access points.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

Below is where I get my under kitchen sink drinking water filter.
BTF
05 40FDQS

RV Water Filter Store: Cartridges for Omnipure Q-series
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #5

Mike, I never bothered to clean it, The only way you could do that is put it on backwards and run it forever. Buy a new one much safer. You don't have to buy the filter w/ those air fittings as you can use the old ones and it should be less expensive. I may be telling you something you already know.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I used to buy my filter from the WRV recommended online seller, but their website is gone. The rest of the info from this earlier post is still pertinent:

I just bought a new filter by calling the 800 number on the filter. They said I could save money on both the filter and the shipping by logging onto www.thehotdeal.com (http://www.thehotdeal.com/index.php) and ordering there. Click on the Watershed Filtration icon. Apparently this website represents several companies including Manufacturer's Warehouse Supply, Inc. that actually sells the filters for Alpine Coaches. I ordered two and both arrived three days later. Fit perfect and include the brass connectors that make the switchout a breeze. (I was very happily surprised!)

The mention of reversing the filter is to clean it. Simply install it reversed, run it awhile to flush out the debris into the sink and then reinstall correctly. This will clean out the particles that accumulate on the first screen.

To further confuse you... By design, reversing it will first flush out any debris collected on the previously first screen, but since the design is the same in reverse, by leaving it installed backwards, it now uses the screen originally at the end of the run. The center section is carbon and not dependent on direction.

However, they recommend replacing every six months. I replace mine annually.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you all so much !!! Next time I get ours out of storage I"ll find that sucker. I'll also order a new filter. It is so great to have you all out there to help us newbies, Love our 2005, having a ball, life is good.

The cleaning instructions were exactly what you thought, several minutes of back wash.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
I just bought a new filter by calling the 800 number on the filter. They said I could save money on both the filter and the shipping by logging onto www.thehotdeal.com (http://www.thehotdeal.com/index.php) and ordering there. Click on the Watershed Filtration icon. Apparently this website represents several companies including Manufacturer's Warehouse Supply, Inc. that actually sells the filters for Alpine Coaches.

Beware, I went to that website and got an ominous message: "this website has been temporarily suspended." Then it says to logon to another website to update your payment information. Sounds like some kind of phishing scam to me so I would beware. Maybe someone hijacked their website.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
J&D:

Yes, that is why I prefaced the quote from my 2007 post mentioning that the website is gone. I used to have the telephone number for them, but I think that was two laptops ago.

IIRC I received the website info directly from the manufacturer as being easier and cheaper to buy from. I believe it was because they had to await your check before shipping (no credit cards) and were a few bucks more than the website.

I'm hoping I can check the label on the filter for more info, as soon as I get my coach back from Cummins.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
O. K. I found out where the water filter should have been, but apparently the previous owner removed the filter and replaced it with a short flexible hose to connect the two ends. It is also behind a fixed wall in the lower half of my under-sink cabinet. Don't know if the coach was built that way or not, [ doubt it ] but it sure makes it impossible to swap out the filter. Truly appreciate all your help guys. Guess I'll continue to use the outside blue filter for the whole water system. Thanks again.....
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #11

The short flex pipe was WRV standard issue to replace the filter--like during freezing weather. Not sure where your filter is located [under the sink] but it is probably not easy to reach. I often remove the sink drain pipe just to get at the filter.

A replacement filter is also available at Camping World [you'll need to swap out the quick-connect fittings] think its Hydro-Life [#6 model]. Anyway, dont know how price and filtering capabilities compare but Camping Worlds are handy.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Old:

I was thinking those CW filters looked the same (but without the fittings). I couldn't see any structural difference and the description of the insides was the same. Seems easier to just get them there. Thanks for confirming.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
We bought a Watts water filter at Home Depot. It was about 1/2" longer but it works. Just remove to quick disconnects from the old filter and install on the new filter using Teflon tape.
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote