Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Water gusher

Well, we were at Lake Powell for the last two weeks, as we have been doing every year but two since 1976. Always a great time, but the last day we had a disaster. On my coach there is about a 15 inch section of high pressure, flexible hose from the water pump to the the rest of the water system, which is PEX tubing. Last year I had a little leak develop, due to this hose having a twist in it near the PEX coupling. WRV had used PEX couplings and adapted it for use with the short section of flexible hose. I just replaced the hose. Bad decision. Well, the darn hose sprung a leak about two inches from the pump and emptied the water tank! Luckily? it was only about 20 or so gallons. What a mess! When I got home I emptied out the bay and let it dry for a day or so. Luckily I live in the desert and it is hot right now and no humidy. Anyway, I said why the heck not replace that stupid hose with PEX. Well, it was an easy job and should not have a leak issue. I would recommend doing this if your coach was so built.

To get to to fittings, I had to pull my dump hose container. I then disconnected the PEX fitting closest to the outside and pulled that one section out. I then made up a section of PEX hose at the end which would point to the water pump. You are now dealing with a two piece section, 90 degrees apart. To get a straight shot at the pump, I used my die grinder to remove some metal from the hole in the wall separating the storage area from the water connection area. This hole has power and vent hosing. This should have no stress on any joints and I hope last forever.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I am not familiar (yet) with PEX so my qustion would be did they originally use the 15 inch flexible to hose absorb the pump vibration?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

Std 1/2" faucet hose connections from Home Depots [or Lowes] work pretty well as a replacement/isolation upgrade. Go with the metal braid if you want max pressure protection and a nice look [smile].
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #4

If you now have PEX going directly to the pump you may be unhappy in the long run. Usually a short piece of flexible line is run from the pump to reduce the noise of the pump from being reflected throughout the entire coach plumbing. Our coach originally had hard connections everywhere and we replaced the first section from the pump to the tubing with a braided water hose and added a loop to absorb the noise and vibration. The difference was quite noticeable.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I went from all PEX to a flexible line from Shurflo, designed to cut noise. It was the same thing Home Depot has but cost me about 50% more. Oh well. It works.

It isolates both the incoming and outgoing water lines at the pump. They are 18" lines each and are both looped.