RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 571
Water in the coach - eek

I was flushing the black tank on my 2001 38' coach when I started getting water coming out all around the wet bay. A couple of hours of taking things apart found a bad anti- siphon valve.



This valve is located behind the pull out panty shelf, about 3' off the floor. Water was coming out of it like a showerhead. I searched the valve manf and model number and found trouble reported on a lot of different RVs. I believe I can replace the valve with a elbow. I used a borrowed shop vac to suck up the water and ran fans in the space all afternoon. Sometimes life on the road is tuff.
__________________

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,187
I would not recommend altering the original design of the system by replacing a vacuum breaker with an elbow. Look for a higher quality component if you have concerns about using the original as a replacement.
__________________

__________________
2005 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel
RVPioneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
I would not recommend altering the original design of the system by replacing a vacuum breaker with an elbow. Look for a higher quality component if you have concerns about using the original as a replacement.

X 2!


The purpose of the valve is to prevent any fluid, think contents of a full black tank, from being siphoned back out through the flush tube. Replacing with just an elbow defeats the purpose of that safety requirement.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
X 2!


The purpose of the valve is to prevent any fluid, think contents of a full black tank, from being siphoned back out through the flush tube. Replacing with just an elbow defeats the purpose of that safety requirement.
I appreciate your response. I think the potential for poop problems is lower than potential for filling the coach with water again.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I appreciate your response. I think the potential for poop problems is lower than potential for filling the coach with water again.
Certainly this is your choice and I agree, the potential is greater for another leak than a siphoning. I would only suggest that you make note of the change, in writing, and make sure any future owner of your MH is aware of the change if you don't change it back before selling. As stated, there is a reason for vacuum breakers on certain plumbing fittings and these are required for the RVIA certification.


The failed fitting was 18+ years old. Replacing with a like or better quality fitting would seem to be a long-lasting fix.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
DrDaveMA's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 2,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Certainly this is your choice and I agree, the potential is greater for another leak than a siphoning. I would only suggest that you make note of the change, in writing, and make sure any future owner of your MH is aware of the change if you don't change it back before selling. As stated, there is a reason for vacuum breakers on certain plumbing fittings and these are required for RVIA certification


Not to mention local health codes, you are connecting a black water tank to the local water system!
__________________

__________________
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Lake Wales, FL
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leak....eek! wmpbauer Entegra Owner's Forum 22 05-27-2015 10:23 AM
:eek: Help. I'm stuck inside a frozen camper ken90004 Travel Trailer Discussion 49 02-03-2014 09:54 PM
eek leak rllwilson Travel Trailer Discussion 3 09-06-2012 10:42 AM
Our water heater quit working & there's plenty of propane! Eek doodlebug52 RV Systems & Appliances 6 01-04-2010 05:35 PM
Water damage........eek! Man in Blue Newmar Owner's Forum 6 09-17-2008 09:59 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×