Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

We bought it, now I need answers

We picked up an '05 40fdts yesterday, spent the better part of the day moving in and getting it livable(?), stuff everywhere. Went from a 37' to a 40' and we had no idea how much stuff we have.

Now for the fun part, isn't that why they call Alpine the DIYers motorhome? I got quite a few manuals and books, but not the official owners manual for the whole coach. I've never had hydro hot so we had chilly first night and morning and very cold water. Got that reset and working.

I have been having issues with the charging and checked the batts for water, they were low. I filled the batts and found two to be leaking, split case, probably froze?? I don't know, I live in So Cal, things evaporate there, rivers, lakes ponds. I will replace all 6.

I guess my question is, if all 6 batts were to fail at the same time am I dead in the water? Will everything run off of shore power or the generator? If so, what do I have to do, if anything, to get things to work?

We met several of you at the gathering in Valencia before the Pomona get together and I'm sure we"ll love this as much as you love yours. That said, my revenge for you extolling the virtues of owning an Alpine, will be my incessant question asking and all around brain picking.

We already love the cabinetry and the space in the bedroom, I dig the hydro hot now that it's working. I have had limited time behind the wheel, but I have found that I need to tie a helium balloon to my lead foot. I believe this will be exactly what we want as soon as I get the bugs worked out. We look forward to many happy hours and miles.

All I have to worry about is the moderator blocking me for asking too many questions!!!!

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

You took us seriously about buying one??? Geez....

Welcome to the Alpine Coach family.

The inverter is also a charger that provides 12V power to charge the house batteries. Assuming your charger is working, that will provide the 12 volts to the circuits that run on 12 volts even if the batteries fail, such as the water pump, when on shore power or running the generator. So if your house batteries die, you should be OK on shore power or the generator.

If the house batteries die, no inverter power to the 120 volt circuits, of course. But those will run on shore power or the inverter.

If you are in Southern California please consider joining Alpine SoCal.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
You took us seriously about buying one??? Geez....

Welcome to the Alpine Coach family.

The inverter is also a charger that provides 12V power to charge the house batteries. Assuming your charger is working, that will provide the 12 volts to the circuits that run on 12 volts even if the batteries fail, such as the water pump, when on shore power or running the generator. So if your house batteries die, you should be OK on shore power or the generator.

If the house batteries die, no inverter power to the 120 volt circuits, of course. But those will run on shore power or the inverter.

If you are in Southern California please consider joining Alpine SoCal.
I did take you seriously, but I'm very gullible. I will join the Alpine Association, hell I'll join any group that will take me. I'll sign up as soon as you guys get me home

I did find out my Alpine is originally from Rialto, CA. I had to go to Idaho to get it, go figure!! So far, very much worth the trip, the effort and the issues.

Did I mention that I'm on my way to loving this thing!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #4

Alpine owners can confirm or deny this: Most generators use the chassis batteries to start.

That means that low house batteries can be recharged with the genny. If your chassis batteries go too low to start the genny, but the house batteries are decently charged you may be able to use the emergency start switch if your MH has one.

If both banks of batteries are low, you will need shore power or a jump with heavy duty cables from another vehicle.

Good info here:The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We bought it, now I need answers

Terry, Alpines do use the chassis battery's to start the generator. There is a switch on the dash, left of the steering wheel that is meant to momentary/emergency connect the chassis and the house batteries, in case you need that.

You should always replace all the batteries in a battery bank, do not mix old and new.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Terry
Please go to our web site and you will find all the info needed to join our chapter.
We look forward to having you as a member!
Contact me at anytime.
Joe Darling
President
Alpine SoCal
jdarling10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #7

We made it home yesterday afternoon. The 900+ mile trip went OK considering the check engine light and and the batteries that were on their last legs.

The batteries gave up the ghost about 20 miles from home and we got home with the generator running.

Aside from the two issues it was a pretty good drive, especially broken up into 3 legs.

I reported the other evening that I really like the feel and the performance of the hydraulic brakes, I adjusted to them almost immediately, very natural feeling. I also had the oportunity(?) to test them in Las Vegas surface street traffic due to a navigational misunderstanding. Nothing like a newer, longer MH with a toad in city traffic. It worked out!

Today I start in with our 3 page honey do and honey buy ($$$$) list. Funny, I thought we already bought this stuff. Oh, that's right, wrong color, how can I not see that??

Rear tires are brand new and fronts are from 2010. Thats a major item out of the way. Gonna start with 8 new batts and go from there.

Joining the ACA is one of the top items on my list as is printing the owners manual.

Thanks again for everything so far, I'll be in touch!

Terry

PS We are both very pleased so far, the ride, handling and performance are great not to mention the "house" creature comforts. Glad we did it!!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Terry,
Welcome to the club. We love our Alpine's!! Hope you get many miles and many years of enjoyment from yours.
Have had ours for 10+ years now and still find it a pleasure.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Your front tires are 5 years old? Check them for minute cracks etc. Many of us won't drive with steering tires over 4 years old and get good ones. I just changed mine on our 40 ft. They need to have 6600lb capacity...16 ply. Don't shirk here, your live depends on them.
Trainstop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

Well we made it home and started in on our honey do li$t$. I replaced all 6 house and the 2 chassis batts, also replaced the batt in my Jeep toad as it decided to die a week later. Dang, 9 batts took a chunk out of the gin and tonic budget, hard to stay hydrated. I'm glad it's been cool!!

I have my basement squared away, things should be perfect until the first trip, at which time I'll find that everything is in the wrong spot.

Got my Trav'lr installed and working. I will use the original tvs until they die.

My rear tires are brand new Yokohamas and the front are Toyos from 47/10. They're not 5 years old yet, not a mark, crack, check or any sign of age on them. I can't even see any signs of wear. I think I'm good for at least a couple years. They are H rated, 6610 lbs.

I plan on addressing a couple of maintenance issues after our first little trip. Oil change, trans and fuel filters, I will also look into the brake fluid change and a steering box bracket.

We are planning a couple days at the beach next week, after Memorial Day and before school gets out. Maiden voyage so to speak. It's only 20 miles from home, but we really like it there. We can thoroughly check out the systems.

I'd like to thank all of you once again for the help, advice, suggestions and
all around support. We look forward to many years and miles with our "NEW ALPINE"!!

One last thing, you can blame the people we met in Valencia, before the FMCA Pomona rally, for encouraging us to buy an Alpine and creating the monster we've become. Please keep in mind that, there are no dumb questions, as we will have many more!!

Terry and Becky