Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley do-right View Post
surprised to see this conversation...I just finished changing out 8 NAPA 6V golf cart batts. for 2 RENOGY 4D's AGM ( hybreds) it's a sort of gel/flooded mix, as I understand it. The bank of 6V's was to power the residential fridg. And whatever else we needed. We have an '06 Apex40MDTS, that came from the factory with every imaginable accessory on board, so I guess that's why the humongus house batt. bank. This set of batteries is now over 5 yrs. old, so I decided to change them out. We never dry camp, (unless you call overnighting at a truckstop drycamping) so I felt that we could downsize the house bank. In the process, I weighed the 6V golfcarts, (64lbs. ea.) X 8, and the 4D gels, (130 lbs. ea.) X 2, for a weight savings on my RRaxle of 252 lbs. and a bunch of heavy gauge connecting cables. Plus no more checking water. These two AGM's give me at least 200 usable AH's , and I'm well satisfied even at $410 ea. out the door. Got 'em at Amazon, where else?
Dudley Do-Right, 06Apex40MDTS
Why are you surprised to see this conversation?
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley do-right View Post
Mark, you need to read up on your battery technology.
As a matter of fact, I have.

Quote:
battery manufacturers all caution you not to exceed 50% of discharge
It's not a "caution" but a "serving suggestion". The question to ask and understand that's not specifically offered is why 50%, and just what will happen to service life both above and below that number? Answer, 50% may not be 50% based on the battery and how it's used, and the service life difference as you go below that point is a few percent. So yes, there is a "sweet spot" of optimum service life at a specific DOD point but it's not pronounced, and it's not significant.

Quote:
doing so will dramatically shorten their life.
False. You will not be able to find any technical data from any manufacturer that supports this.

Quote:
what I said is the rule of thumb.
I get it - people don't want to do a deep dive into battery data sheets and crunch numbers in spreadsheets just to go camping. So you adopt a simple "rule" to follow that ensures you don't do anything "wrong" and end up with dead batteries. Of all the potential hazards and failures surrounding lead acid batteries, discharging below 50% is about number 27 on the list. In practice it is very difficult to wear a battery out by cycling. Odds are much greater it will be damaged through improper charging, storage or maintenance. There are logistical reasons to pick an arbitrary depth of discharge point if one chooses, but battery longevity will not be among the advantages of doing so.

Quote:
nobody's trying to cheat battery buyers with misleading info.
The 50% rule is misleading because it's being applied far out of context. If one wants to buy twice as much battery and use half what they paid for then knock yourself out but to tell others only half their battery is "usable" is a bunch of crap. I've bought, used and abused hundreds of lead acid batteries over decades and the element of truth to the 50% rule both shown in manufacturer data and realized in practice is so small as to be disregarded.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:49 PM   #31

I appreciate every ones input. In the past I was 100% dry camping in the desert. Now as life has changed I hope to be retired by the end of the year with a few vacation rentals (1031 exchange) and the rest of the time we will be home or traveling. I do not want to be crippled by batteries but I still do the desert life a few trips a year and with the residential refrig I need to keep it in my head. AGM's have worked well for me and still do in my Yacht. So I appreciate all the comments- Thank you!! Keep them coming
Theturboman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries