Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Just like opinions, filter styles do vary....the filter on the 350 and 400 has a large donut gasket so unlikely they left old one on. Dave makes a great point--older Cummins with the "slobber" tube near the filter are very temperamental about oil level. Something like 24 qrts for the 350 and 27 qrts for the 400, overfilling will make a big mess. Occasionally, these engines "prefer" a qrt or two less to keep them from spitting it out the slobber tube. However, if your filter was a bit loose--that was likely the cause....
Thanks, Dean......I tend to agree on this one. I have a busy morning but hope to tackle this in the afternoon.

I did notice an old plastic coke bottle attached to the slobber tube when I was tightening the filter yesterday and it didn't feel very full so things seem to be pointing to the loose filter....sure hope this is the culprit after I get a chance to clean everything up.......stay tuned!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
I know all the experts who don't do their own maintenance will chime in after my reply, but the best way I have found, is to use the filter wrench to tighten it a bit after I have done my best by hand. On cars, hand tightening is all that is needed. On these big filters, I nudge mine a little with the wrench.
I used to do this but after a few very difficult removals, I’ve started just getting the filter as tight as I can by hand. My son thinks even this is too tight but Id rather have to struggle a bit to remove an old filter than have the mess described here. So, happy medium.

I only do about 6 or 7 oil changes per year these days, but I’m still always trying to improve the process a bit. I like Bruce’s suggestion about grease vs a little oil on the rubber seal. Maybe “Anti-seize”?

On the topic of the old gasket stuck on, I’ve had a few stay in place over the years, the most recent on my power steering fluid filter in the coach. Glad I checked that, even though it’s submerged in fluid so probably wouldn’t matter too much. But it happens and on an engine oil filter, could be a disaster.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #17

Lots of folks do it but I am not a fan of the "catch bottle" on the slobber tube. Unless you have a crankcase over pressure issue [unlikely] -- installing a bottle tends to treat the symptom and not the cause--a qrt or two less oil tends to solve any slobber tube "leaks."
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
If you sample I would be aware that the anti-seize will show up in your report and send you on an expensive chase.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:35 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybyrd View Post
If you sample I would be aware that the anti-seize will show up in your report and send you on an expensive chase.
Interesting - hadn’t thought of that. I don’t sample but might in the future.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Well I cleaned off as much of the oil/sludge as I could get off this afternoon. I plan to give her a look again in the morning after getting a chance to dry overnight and I'll run her again tomorrow to see if I can see any seepage from the filter.....or anywhere else for that matter.

Thanks for all the feedback guys......... stay tuned!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Paul, I saw a trick on Adept Ape (Cat YouTube poster) and he puts hash marks on the bottom of the filters, we have two big filters. Then at a glance I can look under and see if the filter has moved. Especially since this was just our second oil change in the one year of ownership.
However on the ISC , the oil filter is harder to see, but you could tell if it moved

Like most, I never had the filter on the Alpine loosen. I'll bet it was the filter. Time to do your own
Old 03-19-2021, 09:33 PM   #22

I had a hose fitting come loose at the hydraulic distribution block right under the hydraulic oil reservoir that is mounted right next to the engine. The hoses are under the big canister. Being it the hydraulic, it had a lot of pressure and sprayed everywhere. Made it hard to find. I had to clean everything first then a short test drive and check.
Oil filter leak, possible but not likely unless it was just installed and not tightened properly.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Update...........

Well after much cleaning and other investigation it looks like the oil filter leaking was really not that big an issue and the biggest mess is coming from the front side of the CAPS pump and when I'm getting is a diesel fuel leak.

It looked like oil because there was so much residual oil from 20 years of gunk that the diesel fuel was looking dark more like oil. Well after a thorough cleaning I can see a very, very fine mist that looks like it's coming from one of the 8 connectors on the front of the CAPS pump..... talked to the local mechanic I use and he tells me that those fitting can come loose over time even though the complete CAPS pump in only ~18 months old.

I drove it around 100 miles and got a ton of residual DF.
I tried to get a wrench on those fittings and it's all but impossible without taking the intake pipe off so I have deferred and will probably let the pro's take it on.

I really can't see much blow-by at idle but obviously when the power/pressure builds it leaks. I did get a little turn on one of the fittings, I've cleaned it up again and will take a quick run around town to see if it's still leaking, which it probably is......but maybe now that I know where I'm looking I can see which of the fittings is actually leaking

Anyone else had to deal with anything like this??
Old 03-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Update...........

Well after much cleaning and other investigation it looks like the oil filter leaking was really not that big an issue and the biggest mess is coming from the front side of the CAPS pump and when I'm getting is a diesel fuel leak.

It looked like oil because there was so much residual oil from 20 years of gunk that the diesel fuel was looking dark more like oil. Well after a thorough cleaning I can see a very, very fine mist that looks like it's coming from one of the 8 connectors on the front of the CAPS pump..... talked to the local mechanic I use and he tells me that those fitting can come loose over time even though the complete CAPS pump in only ~18 months old.

I drove it around 100 miles and got a ton of residual DF.
I tried to get a wrench on those fittings and it's all but impossible without taking the intake pipe off so I have deferred and will probably let the pro's take it on.

I really can't see much blow-by at idle but obviously when the power/pressure builds it leaks. I did get a little turn on one of the fittings, I've cleaned it up again and will take a quick run around town to see if it's still leaking, which it probably is......but maybe now that I know where I'm looking I can see which of the fittings is actually leaking

Anyone else had to deal with anything like this??

Thanks for the update Paul, though I'm sorry it wasn't as simple as the oil filter being loose.

Never had the issue myself, but it helps all of us to be aware of this potential problem, as stated by your mechanic. Never would have thought of it. At least you know the cause/effect of the spray you discovered and it sounds like the repair is simple, if not necessarily easily accessed.

Keep us in the loop.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
I had a hose fitting come loose at the hydraulic distribution block right under the hydraulic oil reservoir that is mounted right next to the engine. The hoses are under the big canister. Being it the hydraulic, it had a lot of pressure and sprayed everywhere. Made it hard to find. I had to clean everything first then a short test drive and check.
Oil filter leak, possible but not likely unless it was just installed and not tightened properly.
Yeah I agree....plus hydraulic and diesel is more viscous and spreads more easily.

The oil filter was definitely leaking as well. The filter did turn almost 1.2 turn by hand and there was leakage/buildup down all sides of the filter as well.....sounds like I actually had a "Double"
Old 03-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Well, The issue was definitely one of the injector line fittings was loose. It was OF COURSE the most difficult one to reach which tells me that it probably wasn't torqued properly when the CAPS pump was replaced (By Cummins) about 18 months ago.

Seems to be good now and that fitting was definitely loose......problem was that the tech had to disconnect the air line and stand in the engine bay to get an angle, had to have a special 3/4" wrench (that he made) to actually get it on the fitting while someone else got leverage and pulled from the top......No wonder I couldn't get to it myself

In any case, it seems to be the issue, I once again stayed down the engine compartment and we'll keep our fingers crossed that this was actually the issue.

Cheers!
Old 03-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I had one of those fittings back out and it was a major mess. 2 different mobile techs diagnosed it as busted injector line. I was stuck at repair facility till Monday and found the real culprit. Tried to tighten but just did not have the right tools. Monday pointed it out to the mechanic and took them 2-3 hours to get it tightened up with the correct tools.
I now carry the socket in my toolbox.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bro...ml#post2613559
Old 03-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I had one of those fittings back out and it was a major mess. 2 different mobile techs diagnosed it as busted injector line. I was stuck at repair facility till Monday and found the real culprit. Tried to tighten but just did not have the right tools. Monday pointed it out to the mechanic and took them 2-3 hours to get it tightened up with the correct tools.
I now carry the socket in my toolbox.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bro...ml#post2613559
This guy had an angled 3/4” box wrench with a slot in it to slip past the injector line. I’m going to try a d find one and modify it JIC I need it on the road....hopefully neither of us will ever need one again