Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #1

What is the brake controller for

I seen this when I was looking at a alpine coach. Didn't know what it was for
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 11.11.33 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	969.3 KB
ID:	320003
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 11.12.13 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	320004

Its at the left of the gauge cluster mounted to the dash. Seen in the first pic, just inside the steering wheel radius at approx 9 o'clock. In the second at approx 10 o'clock.

Thanks
smp440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 10:49 PM   #2

I have never seen that model of brake controller. If it is an electric brake control, it sends an “adjustable” voltage back to (generally) a 7 pin trailer plug at the rear of your rig. Trailers over 2000 lbs +/- have electric brakes. For example my 10,000 lb car trailer.
The reason I mentioned “adjustable” voltage is because the brake controler will have a thumb wheel or knob to increase or decrease the voltage to fine tune the braking force of the trailer.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
I have never seen that model of brake controller. If it is an electric brake control, it sends an “adjustable” voltage back to (generally) a 7 pin trailer plug at the rear of your rig. Trailers over 2000 lbs +/- have electric brakes. For example my 10,000 lb car trailer.
The reason I mentioned “adjustable” voltage is because the brake controler will have a thumb wheel or knob to increase or decrease the voltage to fine tune the braking force of the trailer.
I'm pretty sure it's not an electric brake control. However I don't know what it is, so its possible. It may not be for brakes at all now that I'm typing this.

I think there were 2 knobs (not for sure) but one definitely said Boost.

I was curious if it was a control for a toad brake system or some type of boost control for the onboard hydraulic brake system. But it could be for something else.

Any other thoughts? Anyone?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:06 AM   #4

What did the current owner/ dealer say it was?
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
What did the current owner/ dealer say it was?
It was at a lot. No one around that was competent to answer that question.

The second pic is from that MH the first is another I found for sale online so its something popular... At least I figured.. lol
Old 03-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #6

Its not OEM so doesn't connect to an Alpine system....could be an "adjustable" control for a towed vehicle aux. brake system but my guess is its for a trailer brake system.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Years ago at RV Rallies some aftermarket suspension manufactures offered a steering stabilizer that was adjustable from the dash board. You might want to look at the front steering to see if that what it is.
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
What is the brake controller for

It is a US Gear auxiliary brake controller for a toad. US Gear doesn’t make that system anymore. The knob on top turns up the brake force and the lever on the side manually applies the toad brakes.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Concur with the US Gear controller, have had 2 of them. Great system, but no longer made.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
It is a US Gear auxiliary brake controller for a toad. US Gear doesn’t make that system anymore. The knob on top turns up the brake force and the lever on the side manually applies the toad brakes.
Thanks for the info!

Tags
brake