Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
What is this called and where can I find it?

My husband and I are renovating the step area and want to replace the ugly plastic piece that covers the rail the step cover rests on. What is this called and where can I find it? We’ve tried everything.

———————————————-
Dwayne and Kristi
2006 Western Alpine 34FDDS
2012 Mini Cooper Convertible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D305234C-4A2A-44F2-9B6B-D99BD4FEC081.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	341906  
kbenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

I might call it a ledger. Are you going to replace it with a piece of wood to match the look on the side of the stairwell? If you’re handy with a router you could fashion one yourself, or possibly find a piece of molding that would work.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

I did a brief search and came up empty, but I did find pictures at Premiere Motor Coach that shows a remodeled stairwell, but those rails are still in place. Here is the link. https://www.premiermotorcoach.com/rv...tions-unveiled

I'm thinking they are NLA and will be necessary to retain a functioning stairwell cover. The vertical face of the cover is also the same material. I've never taken the system apart, but it seems that cover is needed for the aligning/movement of the cover. Maybe one can be removed and it will be clear if they are functional or cosmetic, or both. If they prove to be needed, I see no simple way to replace them, though they could be painted a different color with plastic adhering paint.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I might call it a ledger. Are you going to replace it with a piece of wood to match the look on the side of the stairwell? If you’re handy with a router you could fashion one yourself, or possibly find a piece of molding that would work.

I’ll run your idea by the hubby. Not sure he’s comfortable with that!
Old 09-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I did a brief search and came up empty, but I did find pictures at Premiere Motor Coach that shows a remodeled stairwell, but those rails are still in place. Here is the link. https://www.premiermotorcoach.com/rv...tions-unveiled

I'm thinking they are NLA and will be necessary to retain a functioning stairwell cover. The vertical face of the cover is also the same material. I've never taken the system apart, but it seems that cover is needed for the aligning/movement of the cover. Maybe one can be removed and it will be clear if they are functional or cosmetic, or both. If they prove to be needed, I see no simple way to replace them, though they could be painted a different color with plastic adhering paint.

We’ve thought about painting too. They got cut up while trying to get the carpet out so they’re pretty ugly. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenfield View Post
I’ll run your idea by the hubby. Not sure he’s comfortable with that!
A moulding shop could make a set quite easily out of any type of wood. We have a mid-door so no such equipment. It most likely is just a plastic cover that snaps over a metal bracket that is screwed to the wall. Two strips of cherry, walnut or mahogany would look quite nice there.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #7

Been there

Those guide the extended step cover, then support it. They're a rather thin, molded plastic, as you know.

Paint would have to be tough, to allow unmarred slidings. Adhesion to the plastic will narrow choices.

Those parts are thin, so redone in wood likely demands thicker to prevent cracking and splitting. The step cover has a notch that fits over plywood subfloor extensions, covered by those 'guides', as above. The clearances are not generous.

Unless you wish to remove the step cover, by extension rendering those ugly parts moot, perhaps re-engineering recessed guides from drawer slides or stronger. Finding substantial wood to recess and anchor such guides will be interesting.

Out new entry doesn't highlight (negatively) those guides as much as your gorgeous wood, but I'd probably not miss the step cover either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EntryStepsNew.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	341928  
Old 09-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #8

If there is plywood under those covers, I’d cover the plywood with a veneer. Wood if possible. Heck, you could experiment with wood grain contact paper to see how it would look. Maybe even just sand and stain the plywood and put a veneer on the edge. If necessary, enlarge the notches.

Tags
led