Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #1

What's a good price to shoot for on this

2002 Western Rv ALPINE

https://hr4kf.app.goo.gl/UCt9h

Check out this 2002 Western Rv ALPINE shared from the RVTrader iOS App.

Going to check this out at the dealer, price seems high.
Assuming it needs new tires and batterys what would be a good price to shoot for?

Also, noticed in the picture the rear of engine has some residue on it. Is that typically blow by or a common oil leak area? Assuming it’ll be more evident when I see it in person.
Cheers and thanks for the great support on this website
Bob
Sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
40-60k, depending on condition.
Start low, since it's a dealer you're insulting no one.
The more maintenance history they can provide the better you can determine how well it was taken care of. To me, that has a price as well.
No maintenance history? Lowball em, assuming it checks out good.
Factor in about 5k for tires and fla batteries.
If it's priced right it won't last long.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

From the pictures, that is a nice looking coach.

Keep in mind, 34' Alpines are not often on the market but are typically in demand. That interior is nearly identical to my 36 FDDS.

From what I can see in the engine compartment, the dark area under the pulley looks to be evidence of a coolant leak from the water pump. That should definitely be checked/repaired before any discussion of purchase.

Overall, you need to confirm the age/condition of the tires and batteries. The current asking price would be for a "prefect" coach, IMO, that needs nothing of consequence, is ready to travel, and includes the dealer premium. Add to this, a record of the lift pump service. If there is none, assume it is the OEM pump, plan on replacement and add that to your negotiations.

I would go into this with the listed price as for a "prefect specimen," and negotiate from there. Definitely have the items I listed investigated, with records for proof, and proceed with personal inspection of everything else.

If there are no records and it needs tires/batteries, with the apparent leak of coolant and possible lift pump replacement, an offer in the $50K range would be fair.

What is important, IMO, is that you give the dealer the impression that your are very knowledgeable about Alpine coaches (or DPs in general.) Pointing out potential issues like lift pumps, talking about known issues with Cummins engines of particular years like exhaust manifolds, mentioning the evidence of a coolant leak, all send the message that you know what you are looking at. Ask about the brakes. Ask about the last brake fluid change. Ask if this coach has the hydraulic front generator slide or the electric slide.

I know you have done a lot of research on Alpines. Now is the time to put it to use. No need to be pushy, just ask/discuss pertinent topics as you converse with the dealer.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Well........ Well taken care of 34's do bring a lot of $$ on the resale market. This one looks good in the pics, the pricing doesn't seem that bad really in this market but if it was a year newer it would likely have the ISL 400, a big upgrade.

It looks completely original with no real upgrades (Floors, cabinets, etc) which is not a bad thing just that most people by now have either replaced the carpet or are thinking of doing so.

2 downsides I see (minor) are that this coach has the smaller refrigerator (8-10CF) vs the larger 12-14CF side by side units.... not a big deal at all especially if thinking of upgrading to a residential unit.

The other thing that I would be thinking of is that the booth dinette takes up more space than the same table with chairs.... I'd likely change this out when doing the floors.

If this unit has been well maintained and the records are all there it will probably be worth most of what he is asking.

Things that likely will have been replaced are Lift Pump, cracked manifold, and potentially the radiator for those model years.....check the records.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #5

And this is why this forum is so great, thanks for the quick reply and great info.

Couple of questions-
Lift pump, was there a recall or just mostly replaced by this age? Any signs to look for around it.

Exhaust manifold- where do they usually crack?

Radiator- is 2002 one of the years that had issues?
Again, great info thank you
Bob
Old 10-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
And this is why this forum is so great, thanks for the quick reply and great info.

Couple of questions-
Lift pump, was there a recall or just mostly replaced by this age? Any signs to look for around it.

Exhaust manifold- where do they usually crack?

Radiator- is 2002 one of the years that had issues?
Again, great info thank you
Bob
Lift pump, no recall just deterioration of gasket between pump housing and manifold causing a leak. Leaks fuel only when pump is running for first 30 sec. after ignition is switched ON. After that, it sucks air and can destroy the CAPS pump. Look for fuel or wetness around starter motor and upward toward top of engine (passenger side toward the transmission end of the engine.) If access to top of engine, look down and you'll see it. Most are replaced when symptoms arise like hard start or stumble under load, or signs of fuel leaking. Preemptive replacement is more common now, with replacement with a positive pressure pump like a FASS or AirDog.

Manifold crack is a bit harder if no noticeable noise is present. Look for soot deposits anywhere around manifold and bolts. Not sure of the typical area of cracks, but others will post.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
My coach had zero maintenance records and 96k miles when I bought it. I hired an rv inspector to check out the coach for me. This included all fluid analysis and function tests for all systems.
This in no way guaranteed future performance mind you but it did give me a pretty good idea of the overall condition of the coach. I paid for this inspection and had a contingency in place on the coach. The report then gave me some knowledge to negotiate with a motivated seller.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:38 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I have attached a couple of pictures of the manifold issue noted earlier. The crack starts on the back side of the number three exhaust port. You can see it in the photo as a slight crack that is hardly noticeable. Over time, the crack will go the whole way across the manifold to the outboard side. Mine was not visible from underneath but very evident from the top side view.Click image for larger version

Name:	B3D21A07-81E1-400D-81DB-D64E6A1B9E4C.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	346602

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7606778-1A40-4993-A3EF-B01C72255A40.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	346603

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C20C7ED-0BD5-4863-90A1-6D7C20678251.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	346604
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

Follow up on this Alpine, big picture it looks good in pictures but the more you look the worse it gets. Little to no receipts or paperwork on anything. Engine has several leaks, underside is coated in hydraulic fluid and hyd compartment just behind front door is soaked. Tires, battery are 9 yrs old. Generator slide wouldn’t open and gen ran rough. It’s a consignment and as I pointed out issues the salesmen said he didn’t know anything about it but the owner seemed like he didn’t take care of it.
My search continues, I appreciate the great g
Help from this group
Cheers
Old 10-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
Follow up on this Alpine, big picture it looks good in pictures but the more you look the worse it gets. Little to no receipts or paperwork on anything. Engine has several leaks, underside is coated in hydraulic fluid and hyd compartment just behind front door is soaked. Tires, battery are 9 yrs old. Generator slide wouldn’t open and gen ran rough. It’s a consignment and as I pointed out issues the salesmen said he didn’t know anything about it but the owner seemed like he didn’t take care of it.
My search continues, I appreciate the great g
Help from this group
Cheers
Sorry to hear how poorly that coach showed, but glad you caught those things so readily. This was the "pay-off" for doing your homework.

We will all keep our eyes open for you, as always.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #11

All good, I learn something new every RV I look at. We have a trailer so not in a rush, I’ll wait for the right one.
Thanks again for the help