Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #1

Which Alpine Coach to buy ???

Hello Everyone,
I would like to go back to a Class A diesel MH (43' 5TH wheel now). Looking for a solid foundation to remodel (if needed) and drive coast to coast. I've been in a friends Alpine before and really liked it. Is there a year, vin numbers, model "edition" that stands out over the others ? Or, any years to stay away from ?
I average 25k miles per year with my trailer now.
TIA
Tim
Champ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

There is plenty of reading on the subject here on the forum. There were issues with nearly every model year. A few from major to minor might go like this:
1) Cummins wrist pin recall circa 2005. I don’t know of an Alpine that had the problem, and like most I’ll list they would have surfaced and been corrected.
2) Radiator, also circa 2005. Most failed within 30K miles.
3) Vansco Modules. These were introduced in 2004 (one known in a 2003)
4) Steering bracket upgrade, began with 2004 MY. Many coaches have the mod.
5) Brake caliper issues, circa 1998-99
6) Kitchen sink drain on kitchen slide models may break
7) GVWR increased over the years. I believe in 2000 and 2004.
8) Engine options changed as well.

Old Scout maintains that 2003 is the most stable and he has about 180,000 miles on his.

Many have had the necessary mechanical upgrades completed along with some elective upgrades, both mechanical and cosmetic.

2006 saw the introduction of more features and amenities. These added to both the cost and weight of the vehicle. The 40’ quad slide is the heaviest model.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
There is plenty of reading on the subject here on the forum. There were issues with nearly every model year. A few from major to minor might go like this:
1) Cummins wrist pin recall circa 2005. I don’t know of an Alpine that had the problem, and like most I’ll list they would have surfaced and been corrected.
3) Vansco Modules. These were introduced in 2004 (one known in a 2003)
4) Steering bracket upgrade, began with 2004 MY. Many coaches have the mod.
5) Brake caliper issues, circa 1998-99
6) Kitchen sink drain on kitchen slide models may break
7) GVWR increased over the years. I believe in 2000 and 2004.
8) Engine options changed as well.

Old Scout maintains that 2003 is the most stable and he has about 180,000 miles on his.

Many have had the necessary mechanical upgrades completed along with some elective upgrades, both mechanical and cosmetic.

2006 saw the introduction of more features and amenities. These added to both the cost and weight of the vehicle. The 40’ quad slide is the heaviest model.
I echo everything said here.

We purchased a 2001 36FDDS and have remodeled it extensively. It has been modernized and like you, we're hoping to get years of service out of it.

I searched for quite some time and was targeting a 2003 model which had many of the evolutionary upgrades but was the last year before the Vansco introduction. While many will tell you they have had no issues it is still a potential issue and would be more of an issue IMO as you are looking to do electrical upgrades that were not even available at the time as we have done.

I really would have preferred a 2002-2003 MY as this was the year that they upgraded from the ISC 350 Cummins to the ISL 400....quite a nice upgrade if you ask me.

In the end, it will all come down to the care and maintenance the coach received from the previous owner(s). In our case I bought from a 17-year owner/retired engineer and had a wealth of info about the maintenance the coach had received, this and the fact that buying a little older coach gave us the budget to do a pretty extensive remodel, add solar and upgrade to lithium batteries and still come in at about what we would have paid for a 2-3 year newer coach.

Good luck in your search and DON"T BE IN A HURRY!!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

+1 to everything posted, so far.

Knowing what you want to eventually do to the coach should drive your decision, IMO. The quality of the build in all years is outstanding, and the shortcomings, mentioned in the list, are simply things to be aware of in your hunt. I honestly believe there is no better driving coach built, by design, not by computer enhanced systems. Certainly in the vintage you are seeking, there will be no comparisons in drivability.

Like any coach, find the floor plan you like and length you prefer, and be aware of the engine options for whatever year you considering--having the 400 hp ISL is very nice! The Cummins wrist pin issue affected all RVs with Cummins engines but, as mentioned, has been "addressed." A much more likely issue is with the exhaust manifold on ISC and ISL engines of the 2003-2004 era as well as the lift pump in pre-2004 CAPS engines. If the coach has the CAPS fuel injection, be sure the lift pump has either been replaced or the gasket has been upgraded.

I prefer the "old school" wiring of the pre-2004 Vansco units, though mine does, indeed, have the Vansco system. 2005 Vansco units had some production/manufacturing issues that led to early failures which, again, have likely been addressed by now. Still, if considering a 2005 built coach, ask about the Vansco and check this site for specific information on failures.

You may also find paint checking on certain model years. Again, this was an industry wide problem caused by production methods by the fiberglass panel supplier. You will find the same issue in other brands as well. My coach has it, but it is only cosmetic and I knew of it going into the search.

Everything else will be your own personal preference. Nothing really to "stay away from," IMO. These are very well built coaches, period.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
This is an issue I have not heard yet.
My coach is a 2005 that hit 30k on the drive from Spokane to Mesa.
I'll go poke around and look for threads describing the issue, but if all is well, do I need to worry? It was just inspected by a Cummins Care shop in November.

To OP, we love our 2005. While I'm new to RVing, I love this chassis with the ISL400 engine. It's a pretty amazing powerplant.

We haven't bought one yet (only had coach 5 months), but we plan to purchase a backup Vansco module. Yes they are $1500 each, and there are 2, but it's unlikely both will fail at the same time, and there are LOTs of $1500 parts on an RV. I was initially concerned about having a multiplexed coach, but it's really not that big of a deal so far.

If you are looking for a "platform" to do a remodel on, I think you're making a good choice looking at an Alpine. When I bought mine, I had some reservations about driving a 40' box around, but now it's my favorite vehicle to drive. The Peak Chassis is awesome. With the exception of a some sports cars, it's my favorite vehicle to drive ever.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Champ16,
You really can't beat the quality WRV put into their products.
Our first WRV was an old 1977 Western Wilderness 8.5' truck bed camper.
That thing was built like a tank and served us well for many years of trouble free service.
In its later years we retired her to CleElum Wa where it went to our snowmobile camp. Another 10 years it sat on our lot with several feet of snow on it every winter. No leaks, sags or dry rot ever. Sold it to a kid at work about 10 years ago and it's still in service as a hunting rig.
Several folks we know bought Alpenlite 5'ers in the 90s and were very happy with them. Again, top notch products.
Fast forward to our retirement years, the wife and I bought a small class c Minnie. Great for local short jaunts, but not so comfy after about 200 miles, plus towing a toad was out. Spent a small fortune on suspension upgrades just to keep it on the road when the wind blew, or God forbid an 18 wheeler passed by.
So off we go looking for a DP. One word of advice, don't believe 90% of what's advertised. And if a salesmens lips are moving, well you know.
Test drove a few various later model HRs, Monaco, Beaver, Allegro 36-40' and always made a point to hit the interstate as part of the process.
None of them handled remarkable. Most had been lived in and it showed.
Never even considered an Alpine in our search until one popped up locally.
Brand new tires and low mileage got my attention, a test drive sealed the deal. "That" handling was what I was looking for. (class A CDL holder with plenty of miles exp.) I absolutely love driving this coach for hours at a time.
Plus priced at about half of what we had budgeted.
BTW, ours is an ISC 330hp. Wouldn't have been my 1st choice but gotta say it's performed well beyond my expectations. Tows 3,800 lb toad just fine. Fuel mileage is actually better than that old Winnie, but I won't mention that to my neighbor who now owns it!
Good luck in your search, I don't think you can go wrong with any well loved Alpine that suits your needs.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for the great information.
How can I find available options for a particular year ?
Will a VIN Check list options ?
I've seen 2 2003 Alpine coaches with different floor plans. One is a 38FDDS with the kitchen on the non-slide side (I like) and the other a 36FDDS with the kitchen on the slide side. So today, I'm trying to understand model variations and options.
Champ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ16 View Post
Thank you everyone for the great information.
How can I find available options for a particular year ?
Will a VIN Check list options ?
I've seen 2 2003 Alpine coaches with different floor plans. One is a 38FDDS with the kitchen on the non-slide side (I like) and the other a 36FDDS with the kitchen on the slide side. So today, I'm trying to understand model variations and options.
I downloaded the various year sales brochures and you'll get most of the data there. Most Alpines went out the door pretty well loaded so many of the options were on most of the coaches....therefor the brochures are a great tool!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #9

I believe the brochures are hidden in the Members Only section of the ACA website.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club

You will find in almost all cases except maybe a few of the 2009’s built the kitchen is on the drivers side EXCEPT for the 38’. 38’s kitchen is on the passenger side. I would not be concerned about the kitchen on the slide. Sure the drain pipe might leak but it is an easy fix.
We own a 2000 36’ with the Cummins ISC with 330 hp and 950 ft/lbs of torque. We pull a 5000 lb Ford Flex and it has plenty of power.
An ISL will out pull us on hills.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I believe the brochures are hidden in the Members Only section of the ACA website.
Not hidden at all....I can see them just fine
Old 01-08-2020, 05:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Not hidden at all....I can see them just fine
You may find this news to be shocking, but most prospective Alpine buyers are not ACA members. I wasn’t, 4 years ago, before I bought mine. At that time the ACA Tech Library was available to anyone who visited the site. That is not the case today.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:32 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
You may find this news to be shocking, but most prospective Alpine buyers are not ACA members. I wasn’t, 4 years ago, before I bought mine. At that time the ACA Tech Library was available to anyone who visited the site. That is not the case today.
No, what I was getting at is that I found all those brochures with a simple google search....they were not ONLY available on the tech website

Thanks for the correction, however, God knows I need it, kinda like having a second wife
Old 01-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #14

I agree with Tom and Patty. We've had our 2000 36FDS Limited Edition for 2 years now. It has the Cummins ISC 330HP and pulls my 24ft enclosed trailer with 2 mico cars in it at a total of 5k lbs easily from Ca to Az which has some big hills as far as I'm concerned. 1st outing kitchen drain at floor broke but I didn't care because previous owner had taken xlnt care and had records; and We Loved it!
I had never even heard of Alpine before. I was looking at ads for a month or so and once I saw the Ad and picture I knew this was it, looked at it within a few days and bought it within 2 weeks of seeing Ad. FYI 2000 Alpine Coach LE 36FDS 65k miles for $43k private party and former Alpine forum subscriber. Also my previous RV for l6 years was a 1990 Ford F350 dually crewcab with a huge Lance camper. Best of luck!
Mitimet is offline   Reply With Quote