Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #1

Wind Sensor for awning. 2006FDDS

Does my 2006 34FDDS have an awning wind sensor, and if so where is it.

I just recently had my chassis batteries die (I will save that for another thread) and when this happened I heard a beeping noise in the front bay. I assumed it was related to the dead chassis batteries. When I got the chassis batteries charged back up the beeping persisted to I dug deeper and found that there is a control box for the electric awning under the front passenger bay. I then tried to open my awning and it would close but not open. Upon further investigation I found a switch on this box that I could switch the "Wind Sensor" on or off. I switched if off and the beeping stopped. The awning now opens again. I have had the coach for about two months and find it hard to believe that this wind sensor switch was accidentally turned on, therefor I have got to think that I must have a wind sensor that is bad and that this is why the box was beeping in the first place.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.
Parkereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkereng View Post
Does my 2006 34FDDS have an awning wind sensor, and if so where is it.

I just recently had my chassis batteries die (I will save that for another thread) and when this happened I heard a beeping noise in the front bay. I assumed it was related to the dead chassis batteries. When I got the chassis batteries charged back up the beeping persisted to I dug deeper and found that there is a control box for the electric awning under the front passenger bay. I then tried to open my awning and it would close but not open. Upon further investigation I found a switch on this box that I could switch the "Wind Sensor" on or off. I switched if off and the beeping stopped. The awning now opens again. I have had the coach for about two months and find it hard to believe that this wind sensor switch was accidentally turned on, therefor I have got to think that I must have a wind sensor that is bad and that this is why the box was beeping in the first place.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.

I would suspect the chassis batteries dying is not related to this problem, but coincidental, the awning should be running off the house batteries. Please look at the thread directly above (or below now), "2002 A&E power awning" by a johnson, post #4. In it I have given a fairly extensive description of the way the power awning works, good news you shouldn't have to search very far, the posting is close at hand. Yes, your coach has the wind sensor (earlier years did not), it is a small white device slightly larger than a silver dollar, about 1 1/2" tall located on the roof near the door. There is a cable with a "modular phone jack" that runs from the sensor to the controller. The beeping you heard was the sensor detecting "wind" that will cause the awning to close. As you discovered you can turn it off and operate the awning manually, this also means your motor is operating properly. This could be a problem with the sensor, the cabling or the controller. Contact A&E (info in post referenced) to determine what parts are available, I think the controller will be their first choice, replacing the cable would be a royal PITA as it runs through the wall, the sensor itself would be just slightly easier, it is attached to the roof with screws under a lot of Dicor, I have never looked to see how the cable is attached to the sensor, but suspect it is hard wired, I think the sensor is fairly well built and the A&E folks will tell you it doesn't fail very often.

The good news is your awning operates without the sensor so you are not stranded, just can't used the auto retract function. I do not leave the coach with the awning extended trusting the sensor to work, IMHO the awning assembly is too expensive to assume the sensor will work properly if you are gone.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning