Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #1

Exclamation Windshield Center Post

My windshield center post moves slightly under gentle pressure. It seems to be well anchored at the base, but when I press inward at top of the windshield center post, the glass deflects inward about a 3/8".

I had one of my glass panels recently re-bedded. The repairman pointed the problem out to me. The glass panel otherwise is very secure with new sealant.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks
packetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Rob, I would be very concerned about that, do not walk on the roof anywhere near the front. That center post is an integral part of the frame and needs to be anchored at the top. I have a '05 38' FDTSand there are a lot of wires that run through the trough formed by the center post. I suspect you have a water leak that has rotted away the supports, you need to get in there and get it fixed ASAP.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:05 AM   #3

Windshield Center Post

Thank you for your input DrDaveMA. Do you know how accessible the top center post area is or how the center post is attached to the frame? I imagine that I'd have to remove the TV and maybe the cabinets to gain access. The center post is probably welded to the frame which would make this a professional repair.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:46 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Windshield Center Post

Rob, no I have not looked into what is involved in the repair, but certainly removing the TV would be the place to start. You might also take the time to upgrade the TV to LED, it will be considerably lighter much less a better picture. At the top, the center post is attached within the fiberglass front cap that is forward of the TV. There is a lot of insulation that will have to be moved out of the way to get to the attachment point. I would also check the lower end to see if it is OK.

The cover for the center post is held on with 6 or 8 pieces of Velcro attached to the steel "U" channel which is the real support. The Velcro is attached with Western's favorite glue, what they affectionately called "gorilla snot" because that is what, if you have a good imagination, it looked like. The reason I mention this is that the windshield and the center post absorb a lot of heat from the sun over the years and the Velcro tends to migrate or pull off when you remove the cover. When I opened mine to run a new cable I used duct tape to hold the wires in the channel and just used the remaining Velcro pieces to hold the cover, not worrying about the couple of pieces that had come off. You could always get some new Velcro with the adhesive if you feel too many have came off, but at least on mine, the cover has a pretty tight mechanical fit.

I suspect there are welds at the top of the "U " channel that have broken and rewelding them is going to take talent to keep the fiberglass near/attached to it from getting damaged, you will have to determine if that is a professional job or not.

Dave
Old 06-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
packetx and DrDaveMA. Just noticed that ours is the same way and moves a little bit as you push on the windshield at the top. Wonder if any other alpines owners are experiencing this? Wonder if Old Scout has any input on this?
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

Windshield Center Post

I am wondering if this center post movement is part of the design. It might provide a small buffer for the windshield panels from road shock or uneven jacking.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Simple answer: No.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetx View Post
I am wondering if this center post movement is part of the design. It might provide a small buffer for the windshield panels from road shock or uneven jacking.

Rob, unfortunately, while it is wishful thinking to believe it is part of the design, center post movement indicates a major problem. The size of the windshield on a class A makes it a part of the structure of the coach and movement of that center post is indicative of a major issue that should be addressed immediately. I can only imagine road shock and jacking will exacerbate the problem.

One thing I noticed in our coach, during cool months and doing something, like boiling pasta, that puts a lot of moisture in the coach, we would get a large build up of moisture on the cooler windshield. Once we realized what the problem was we started opening the vent over the stove and running the fan at high to suck most of the moisture out. It can't be good to have that concentration of moisture running around inside the coach (although my DW tells me it is good for her skin).
Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Rob Chapman, if you find out anything on the center post problem or if you fix the problem let us know. looks like i have the same problem with the center post as you do.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Rob, did you figure out anything on the center post yet?

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #11

I have been on the road for the past 30 days and haven't had a chance to look at it. I had a blowout of the inner dual tire which blew out my fiberglass panel. I guess I'll be focusing on that when I get back. In any event I don't believe the slight movement of the upper windshield post is any great concern.