Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

Winshield Repair

I am in Banning CA, my drivers side windshield has pulled loose in the upper left corner. I am looking for a windshield repair shop to remove and reinstall it in the area. I have a call into Universal Auto in Anaheim, CA recommended by one of our members. Any other recommendations in the area?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
You might contact your insurance company to see if they will cover the repair and/or for a recommendation
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

1Ciderdog thanks, I would prefer not to file an insurance claim. This should be able to be repaired for less than $500. As a last resort I will call Duncan.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

How far did it pull apart? Can you discern what moved, glass or fiberglass?
You could use that Eternabond tape (he, hee, he, hee)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
If it is just the glue that holds the windshield to the frame, you can go to any auto parts store and buy windshield glue. I think 3m makes it, but just go to the auto parts store and ask for windshield glue, they will know what you are talking about.

Hope this helps.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #6

Emike, it will pull away about .1 for about a 6 inch area. It has not moved just let loose in the corner so far. In a strong side wind it sounds like what we did as kids with a playing cards in our bicycle spokes. I used a vacuum handle and rope to pull it in to stop the noise and secure that conner for now. Eternabond would work but as you indicated would look like ****. My coach isn't quite ready for duct tape and bailing wire yet.

I am looking to have my windshield removed cleaned, etched and reinstalled. I am waiting to hear back from Universal Auto.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne:

I hope you've heard back from him.

I have his numbers as:

(714) 449-0449 office
(714) 345-8345 cell

Sorry I didn't see your post before now...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

He was reluctant to come out this far and would not return my calls. I was going to offer to drive to Anaheim. I am heading east tomorrow so I will just find someone in the mid-west. TP, thanks for replying.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosedale View Post
If it is just the glue that holds the windshield to the frame, you can go to any auto parts store and buy windshield glue. I think 3m makes it, but just go to the auto parts store and ask for windshield glue, they will know what you are talking about.

Hope this helps.

there's a lot of auto parts store online that you can look to... and has a pretty good price and quality....
jdaniels1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #10

Wayne- if you can live w/the visual, you could patch the air gap w/ Dow-Corning 999A which comes in fashionable black. Don't know if it comes in less than a caulk tube, but I'm told its ~$10 for a standard small size. Was told by fellow Alpiner Ed Meadows that's what they used to set windshields in his body shop for years.
Amazon's got it for $8.5.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Wayne- if you can live w/the visual, you could patch the air gap w/ Dow-Corning 999A which comes in fashionable black. Don't know if it comes in less than a caulk tube, but I'm told its ~$10 for a standard small size. Was told by fellow Alpiner Ed Meadows that's what they used to set windshields in his body shop for years.
Amazon's got it for $8.5.

I posted to this problem 3 years ago.
E Mike's solution would be my first choice. Windshields are touchy to handle when you have to cut them out and then use pressure to bed new adhesive with less than perfect piece of glass (rock chips).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/wind...out-47099.html

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #12

you should replace your windshield seal could be bad. here in auto repair you can look HOW To and DIY instruction on how to replace them.
jdaniels1477 is offline   Reply With Quote