Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

Wrong Ride Height

Hello,
After reading how the airbag pressure can influence the corner weight I got motivated to check the ride hight.
To my surprise I am 40mm higher in the front than the specified 262mm.
I tried to lower the front by using the adjustability in the arm but that was not enough especially because the front left arm was already at the limit.
The linkage rod is not adjustable so I think that the tabs that got welded on must have been off by that much.
Looking at adjustable rods I find these online.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	263537

I can make and enjoy making things so I took the arms off cut 20mm out of the center and machined a steel sleeve that will provide full adjustability. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1708.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	263538
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

Here the sleeve I am cutting M3 Threads in to fasten the linkage rod in place. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1709.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	263545
Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

This is the finished left (short) and right linkage rod.
I set the initial length 2 mm shorter than the original to start with.
All still need to be painted.

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	263553
Old 10-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Here is what I installed-- they come in two lengths with a LOT of easy adjustment within each length:

https://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/shopexd.asp?id=109
Old 10-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

Yes your post gave me actually the idea to simply put a sleeve in-between.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

... I also noticed that the right valve has quite a bit of hysteresis as I am not able to hit the mark. I have it now to about 3mm on the right side and I will leave it sit for a moment and see how it comes to rest.
You think there is no adjustment anymore from the valve but an easy check is to put you finger on the exhaust tube for a few seconds ... several times I caught it still exhausting even though I thought it was in its final position.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #7

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	263595
Old 10-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #8

I just finished the adjustments.
The best way I found to take out the possibility that one valve starts to shut off from lets say the top while another one was just adjusted from the bottom (or if you look at the valve one would be clock wise the other counter clock wise) I used the following method:
1. Adjust control rod as necessary longer / shorter
2. Turn on ACC
2. Turn HWH leveling system ON (only one press)
3. Push the dump valve for one sec to lower all air bags
4. The coach will raise again
5. Let it settle for 3-5 min this is important as it takes this amount of time for a valve to fully close.

Using this method I was able to adjust all the valves coming from the bottom up to the correct height. This eliminated the hysteresis of the valve and hopefully makes for a more accurate setting.

The rear driver side was off by 1/2" and that arm had enough adjustment in it to get it to 7.5"
Honestly I thought this project would take me a couple of hours but it took all day. I hope the corner weight shakes out within a couple of hundred pounds.
Joerg
Old 10-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #9

….just my opinion here but think I would focus on 4-corner weight distribution and overall level of the coach [eg side to side and front to back] while on suspension vs worrying about the last millimeter of height adjustment on the air bags.....the height spec is just a guide to ensure the air bags are adjusted within their normal range or motion....my experience is that a lot of weight can be shifted from corner to corner and across the axles with little or no change in the actual ride height.....accordingly, you can be "spot on" with regard to height spec and be way off on weight distribution....right now, my 2003 is within 250lbs of balance on the front axle and 500lbs on the rear axle....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….just my opinion here but think I would focus on 4-corner weight distribution and overall level of the coach [eg side to side and front to back] while on suspension vs worrying about the last millimeter of height adjustment on the air bags.....the height spec is just a guide to ensure the air bags are adjusted within their normal range or motion....my experience is that a lot of weight can be shifted from corner to corner and across the axles with little or no change in the actual ride height.....accordingly, you can be "spot on" with regard to height spec and be way off on weight distribution....right now, my 2003 is within 250lbs of balance on the front axle and 500lbs on the rear axle....
My hope is that I do not have to do several re-weights at the scale.
Seeing how the valves act I can see how this can get everything out of whack.
If weather plays and there is enough room to the side of the scale I will have the weight results tomorrow.
My coach looked always low on the rear driver side now it is good. And I consider 40mm difference out of spec. it also makes the ride stiffer.
Joerg

Tags
ride height