Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #15

With the sudden glut of quality DP motorhomes in bankruptcy, closures, etc, I expect the Alpine to fade away and become part of the longest chapter of the RV history; companies that were. It will be a loss for sure. MHO
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #16

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.</span>
If Monaco did acquire Western RV, I would think it likely that they would continue to build Alpine coaches at the same factory. Similar to what Monaco did when they acquired the entry level Class A manufacturer R-Vision back in 2005, which are still built in the same factory today.

It wouldn't make sense for Monaco to manufacture the Alpine coach on the same line as Monaco's other DP coaches(Monaco, HR, Safari, Beaver), all of which are constructed using the same manufacturing process, built on the Roadmaster Chassis. It wouldn't be an Alpine Coach anymore, just a name.

Realistically, it's unlikely Monaco would buy Western RV. Considering the current declining market for Class A's in general, and what appears to be reports of legal problems facing Western RV. One video news report here " Lawsuit Claims Western RV Failed to Pay Rent". Unfortunately, have to agree with RoadRohrers, in that we may have seen the last of Western RV!
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.</span>
Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Mike,

Please explain to me why the Smartbeds are such a great idea. I hate the fact that I have to stand and wait for the drawer to open so I can get a screwdriver.

With conventional bay doors, I can open the door and get what I need and get back to the job at hand much faster than having to wait for the drawer to open.

Also, when it is raining I can't leave the drawer open or the contents get wet.

Another issue is the second Smartbed on the drivers side, when it is raining, the slide topper awning on the living room slide drains water directly into the Smartbed.

One more thing and I will get off the soapbox. We do not have any full pass through storage where you can put anything long in the bays.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #18

Supposedly a Canadian Company is already renting part of the plant. No one is going to buy this dog. They have lost money for years and had lots of production problems. Why would Monaco want them?? They already have extra capacity. CC has their own problems. Berkshire Hathaway does not buy losers. Why would any other mfr. want to buy a factory when the bottom of this market is yet to come. I think this one is dead and will stay that way. Survival of the fittest.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #19

Jim- I have a bad back, and when it isn't up to par getting into a cutomary basement storage area is much slower and a lot more grief than the waiting for a SmartBed drawer. As to rain, you are right. I try to keep all my regularly accessed stuff on the passenger side, where I can then use the awning in the rain.
As to the full pass thru, I'm working on that. I partially remodeled the propane pass thru w/a partial plywood floor (stole the idea fair & square from Bob Kapp who posts here from time to time; Bob has an Apex). Once the propane is empty (I still have 3/4 tank from its initial fill) I'll pull the tank like Bob did, go to a 10 gallon tank just aft of the FL tire, take out the partial floor & install a full 3/4" plywood floor & close the front center area off, and I'll have a nice roomy 8' compartment in addition to 4 SB's.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #20

Engineer Mike, I agree completely about the Smart Beds. Have 9 fused discs in my back and I would do anything to have those smart beds. I am certain that all other manufacturers are looking at ways to get a hold of them short of buying WRV.

Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #21

Ted- should be some good deals on SmartBeds available soon.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:48 AM   #22

E. Mike, That's all well & good but when will you be available to design and help me modify my 2005 to install them?

Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Let's hope it is not picked up by Monaco, If CC can stay health that might make a good marriage.

Tom and Patty Dietrich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From about 1998, all I wanted was an Alpine Coach. Loved the looks. In 2002 we did the factory tour and was extremely impressed. As a matter of fact we toured Alpine, Country Coach and Monaco. I would rate the chassis on the three as 1) Alpine, 2) Country Coach and 3) Monaco.

As we drew closer to purchasing a coach in 2003/2004 the Alpine prices began to rocket up and the quality began to fall almost as fast. The drive train was still #1 in my book, but the coach fit/finish was horrendous. We looked at them at the Pomona RV Show and couldn't believe they would actually bring a coach that looked that bad to a show. (Just this year at the Pomona Show, one of their coaches had a baseball sized dent right in the front cap that was left by the mold. It had been painted over just like it wasn't there.)

In 2005 we began looking to purchase. There was a satellite dealership in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. that had a new 36' Alpine in stock. I still really loved the look, but was not impressed with the coach.......wires and tape hanging externally, tiny slides, narrow front doors, unfinished items in plain view as you walked in. The dealer wanted over $275,000.00 for that model. I kept going back and looking at that coach and couldn't justify spending that much and getting soooo little. I finally gave up on Alpine.

The moral of this story.....Alpine has a great chassis, but it's not worth $50,000 - $75,000 more than other coaches with better fit/finish and more features. I think Alpine priced themselves right out of the market. They offered a midline coach at high line prices.

Tom and Patty........The best thing that could happen to Alpine is for Monaco to pick them up, retain the chassis and styling, improve the fit/finish, and sell it at a price point that is more in line with what it's worth!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #24

Don- You're such a diplomat.

Ted- The SmartBeds are configured on a different basement structure and layout than your coach has. The pre-SB coaches hang the basement floor off threaded rod and angle iron beneath the basement floor. The new coaches have steel sheet bulkheads, on behind, one in the middle and one ahead of the two opposed pairs of SBs. We will have to plan at least two long weekends for the remodel (this is the contractor's first estimate of schedule BTW ) and I'll have to live at hour house and use your chiropractor while we work
Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Ted,

What kind of coach do you currently own? I might make you a deal on a coach that has Smart Beds.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #26

Here is another update on the happenings at WRV.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-cacdce/case_no-8...0492/case_id-414644/

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #27

Tom,
I tried that link and get a blank page. Is it my 'puter ignorance or a problem with the site?

Thanks,
Lois
rosegramma is offline   Reply With Quote