Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
WRV Alpine Steering Bracket Upgrade Kit

Redlands Truck & RV Performance is announcing that a WRV Alpine Steering Bracket Upgrade Kit is now available for 2004 to 2009 Alpine Coaches.

For more information ....
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #2

We stopped at Redlands' shop on the way to the Chula Vista pre-rally. Keith Shomaker sent 3 of the technicians over to check out my steering and discuss the bracket upgrade. All three showed impressive knowledge and interest in Alpines, quoting from info here on iRV2 about our coaches. There are several businesses where the head person checks on things customer's post here, but I was surprised to find the guys who do the actual repairs so familiar with this forum and the Alpine.

Completely unrelated- Redlands swapped out a pair of driver/passenger chairs and couch in ultraleather, in the yellow-brown color, and then "inherited" the chairs and couch when the factory closed. If anyone is thinking of getting matching chairs & couch (IIRC the chairs have the "Alpine" embroidery), Keith told me he could make you a good deal on the set including installation.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
There are several businesses where the head person checks on things customer's post here, but I was surprised to find the guys who do the actual repairs so familiar with this forum and the Alpine..
iRV2.com has been continuously sponsored by RTS for the past 3 years I believe and I don't expect that relationship will change.

The many iRV2 members that have passed by Redlands, CA, to the last person, have raved about the personal service that they have received from RTS. If you are considering RTS as a service destination I fully expect that your service experience will be the same, not better, because that would imply that the previous persons experience might be lacking. RTS treats all their customers similarly with the utmost professionalism.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We agree...Redlands Truck & RV really went out of their way to take care of us when we needed a new Alternator! First, they called all over the LA area to find the right part for us, and then one of their guys drove all the way to Long Beach to get it. With all of that, they had us out of there the same day! We highly recommend them!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #5

Here is a photo of the first Redlands Steering Bracket Upgrade installation:
Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Now that's a good looking steering bracket!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
But you left out the part about how much it costs to install? As I have the bracket coming for the company who makes them. How level does the coach have to be, at my house the rear end is up in the driveway, and the front end is in the street right at the approach break. I can put the front end up on 4" thick boards to raise it so I have working room but still the coach is not level at that point, still down by 3-5 inches. I am going to assume it would be better if I had a fully level area, since I don't. I need the labor price please.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #8

You can call Redlands Truck and RV @ 888.249.0124 for more information on installation cost.

IMO it is unsafe to do this type of work under a coach parked on a slope for two reasons:
1) gravity working on the coach (there is a very low probability of a problem, but the relative cost of a problem is too dog gone high to invite the question)
2) kneeling on the slope to work on drilling holes in thick steel is uncomfortable, which may lead to unsafe operator behavior

I recommend if working under your coach, to have it on level ground so that if the parking brake failed the coach would start a verrry slow roll, if that. And then- block the rear axle tire so it won't roll no matter what. Again, price of a mistake is not worth it. If there is any question of safety, have this type of work done by a professional installer.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I can tell you if my 1/2" Milwaukie Drill gets a little bit out of the streight and narrow, it can break my arm if I am not fast enough on the trigger switch.

On one set of pictures which Redland did, all the bolt heads are out. One the one where you assisted an owner, some are out, and some seem to be in. I am going to assume it make little difference?
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #10

As long as the threaded end inside the steering bracket clears the swing of the Pitman arm, no sweat which way the bolts face.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
But you left out the part about how much it costs to install? .
We had the bracket installed at Redlands Truck Service two days ago. Had excellent service. Several other problems were discovered and resolved including a "broken" rear shock. Ride has definitely improved!!

Install for bracket was billed at $532.00. It is not something that I felt comfortable trying to do myself.
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
FMCA/ACA/SoCAL/NoWACA
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #12

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langord View Post
We had the bracket installed at Redlands Truck.
Install for bracket was billed at $532.00.
Did that price include the parts?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Unfortunately not. Kit was $363.
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
FMCA/ACA/SoCAL/NoWACA
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
We have approximately 58k miles on our coach currently. We are in the East and don't feel comfortable driving the coach another 2k miles or more to Redlands for the purchase and install. Has anyone purchased the kit and had someone in the east install it and been satisfied?

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote