Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

While we were in Yakima today getting the coach serviced at Cummins and tires rotated at Les Schwab, we drove by the WRV Service Center and factory and took a peek at what's going on. Thought we would update the group on what we saw.

Some purchasers from the auction are still removing their purchases. There are signs telling these purchasers who to see and where to check in to pick up their stuff -- it's a guy manning a gate on the side of the building.

Many of the fifth wheels are still on site -- haven't been moved. There was a pickup from a Saskatoon, AB, transport company there, and we assumed he must be moving some of these fifth wheels to Canada.

There were people (looked like contractors) on site removing paint booth and and other metal components, like ducting, railings, metal parts stands, etc. Don't know whether the metal removed was all part of the sale or some of it being scrapped and removed because of the high scrap metal prices today.

In any case, it appears the site is being fully dismantled, except for the standing buildings.

Just thought you might be interested in our observations--
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It's my understanding the Doyls (SP) still own the property, and the buildings for the old manfacturing site as well as the new one. He called the rent, and as I also understand it that was the final straw for Monnomoy. After all the things we (us) and many of you have gone through, it most likely a good thing they are gone, only the strong survive, and they could never come back from the Avalanche coach mess. They did however make one great 5th wheel trailer, and I will always miss ours, it was just well built unit, never had a problem with it. And I still see the little 22-26' ones from the 70-80's running down the road, that is a great testiment to the quality WRV had at one time.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I'm curious, why is there not any WRV 5th wheel forum? I am assuming, no one has wanted to start it, or am I off base?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Manufacturer forums are started when there are enough requests by owners for a new forum.

iRV2 is inclusive not exclusive and such requests are seriously considered.

I believe posts by WRV 5th wheel owners have been rare.

We are always interested in accommodating our members.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Ron Doyle does own the property that the plant and service center is on. The bank is who shut down WRV, Ron Doyle called the rent on the bank, after they took over. WRV failed because Monomoy wouldn't put up enough money to keep it going. Bob Wert and his staff had things on the mend and if Monomoy had supported him with the funds needed, I think we would have been happy with the direction the company was going.

I give Ron a lot of credit, If not for him we would not have these coaches. That said, quality in the later year coaches definitely went down hill.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #6

Dale, odd that you say in later years the quality of the coaches went down. I have read on this forum and I believe E Mike was one of them that commented the 2009 coach was way beyond the older coaches in quality. E Mike would be a good example as he had a 2006. It would appear with a little more time Monomoy may have produced the coach that Alpine was supposed to be for all those years. Some expenditures like jet planes and boats probably put a small crimp in the operating capital before Monomoy came aboard. You must admit Monomoy had little time to pull together a very badly failing corporation. It appeared to me in the short period that they had the operation, from at least a service standpoint improved substantially. I was extremely impressed with Monomoy's improvements in the short period they were at the helm. I have to say this as a total outsider as I am on the East coast where there were zero dealers and zero service. The West coast certainly had a much better perspective. You had dealers and servicing organizations. We were never afforded those luxuries.
Many, many sides to every story. As an individual with his own business for 48 years I have seen a lot of sides. Sometimes the obvious is not always the most factual. It takes a real team to put together a successful company in any period of time. In a period like this it is a phenomonal team that can just survive. I would as it is going expect a Chinese motorhome to be here in America, or do we already have them?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
All, don't get me wrong, I wished they had survived. It's just as Ted says, 2009 coach was much better than the 2006. Quality is what will keep people going back for more. Although I don't really mind working on the beast, I do hope my "fixing time" is much less than camping time. And I also hope, everytime I take it out something else does not break. For instance the ABS warning light went out on it's own, after we moved sites at the last campground we stayed in. It was also there I finally figured out the front air bags were not dumping, so I traded issues. I'll get around to it eventually, it's too hot here to work on it now.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #8

Renipladlo, did you ever think your ABS light bulbs just got tired and burnt themselves out? That will give you something else to think about. I like your slogan a lot, we should do something with it:"hope my fixing time is much less than my camping time". *That's pretty tricky and I think we should all think about that.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #9

All:
As luck would have it, and it was luck, i decided to sell our 03 40fdts and because WRV did not have a 43ft tag axle, air brake coach in the pipeline, we bought a used 05 HR Navigator. It is a fine coach. However it is not without it's problems. Recently the Aquahot cost us $750 to replace a defective drain valve. The TV, DVR, Suround sound stuff has been a nightmare, jsut like in our Alpine.
That said the fit and finish are just wnderful.
Of course Monaco has been around for years. So they should have it right by now.

We all knew WRV was a new MFG when we bought. We first had a 2000 40fds. Lots of problems but kind of fun working with a new RV coach company. We got a really good deal on the coach and kind of felt like we were pioneering with WRV. If I had it to do all over I would never buy from a relativly untested new RV coach company. The chassis was always bullet proof. The house sucked.......... Oh well live and learn. The Navigator is our 10th and last. When this one gets old we are too.....

BTW I dont care what anybody says, air disc brakes are the only way to go. I never worry about stopping............Sorry things worked out the way they did
Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

I am sorry that I was not clear. I was talking about the quality when Ron Doyle owned the company. My 2002 was better quality than my 2007, nothing that I can't fix, I just would rather not be required to do it myself.

As I stated Monomoy had started to fix the problems and things were getting much better before they closed.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ted, my silverleaf display shows all system errors that reports to it, so in this case I don't have an idit light. I assumed because we turned the coach different ways and it assumed different angles, the little bugger worked it's way back in. If it comes back, my guess it was on the front wheels, so I will check those little sensors and make sure they are pushed in enough.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #12

Renipladlo, I was just pulling your chain a little bit about the lights
Old 07-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Neat, I was always slow on the uptake.

I'm not sure I like all the warning/errors showing up on the Sl display. I am an old "idiot light" kind of guy.

And in giving it some thought, I believe I'm at 50-50 on worrying or working on the coach versus driving or camping in it. I'm either working on it, reading posts here about what I should be worrying about or worrying about something I know how to do, and it's in storage and I'm at home doing home stuff.

For instance, I still don't fully know how the funky all house "remote control" works, it's supposed to work the TV, satellite, all the AV stuff, have not taken the time, or found it something I need to do, to learn it, everyone raves about it. I don't watch tv when I go to bed, so that is not important anyway.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #14

Renipladlo, When you get around to learning more about it, you will love the remote controls. *The universal remotes are great for instances where you have to change the input on the TV as well as change the input on something else, like the sound system, at the same time. *You can set the universal remote to switch everything with the push of one button. *It is a big help since you don't need to remember all the changes. *Just push one button for the DVD, another for the satellite, etc.In the '04's you needed to change multiple inputs to switch from DVD to VCR to satellite. *The universal remote helped a lot. *The Apex might have a simpler setup than the '04's did, and it might not be as big of a deal for you.The remote for the bedroom TV is not a big deal. *There are no "multiple input" changes to worry about. *Just TV on and off, and channel change. * The existing remote is fine for that. *It only really helps up front.I hope your ratio changes to the camping side!! *I am happy with my ratio, which is tilted way to the camping side. *Hang in there.