Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #1

Xantrex 2000 Invertyer

My inverter started to act up yesterday. The charger is not charging the batteries and the inverter panel lite that shows AC is present doesn't light up when coach is connected to shore power. If I start the coach the batteries will charge, and I have reduced the load on the house batteries. I called Xantrex today but they were closed for the Canadian Holiday. This inverter was replaced 4/16/05 under warranty and has worked very well until yesterday. Do they still make the 2000 and does anyone have any ideas that I should try to check to inverter?

Larry
2004 40' MDTS
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Larry,

I'm going to assume (you know how that works!?) that you're only relying on the monitor panel and NOT actually checking the batteries with a volt meter. The monitor panel is known for suddenly being "dark" which means it quits display anything. If this is the case, you need to remove the monitor panel by removing the 4 - screws and then then temporarily disconnect the RJ-12 type cable (phone cable) for about 15 - 30 seconds and then reconnect it. As soon as you reconnect it you should see status lights. BTW - this procedure was obtained from Xantrex.

If that's not really your problem, then in the words of Rosanna Rosannadanna (SNL) - "Nevermind".
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

I would also try disconnecting from shore power, and turn off the battery disconnect for the coach batteries. Then hit the reset button on the inverter. Then turn on the battery switch and plug into shore power, and see if anything changed.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #4

Problem--inverter is wired directly to the bats, by passing the master house bat switch. Double-check both the rj12 connections then [carefully] disconnect the positive inverter cable from the bats. This is the only way to ensure a total reboot of the inverter...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I have the same model inverter. I recently parked at a friends house and plugged into his house power. My inverter would not charge the batteries and the panel showed no AC current. . I did the resets as instructed above to no avail. I found the culprit was low voltage on my friends outlet, it had enough voltage to activate the transfer switch, but not enough to energize the inverter. He was running a window air conditioner on the same circuit, so I think maybe that may have been the cause for my low voltage. We` arrived at our campsite the next day, plugged into a 50 amp outlet and all has worked fine. So to make a long story short, check the voltage at your source and be sure it is around 120.....Mike.
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #6

I had the same problem, I went on the Xantrex web site and found the closest repair center ( 50 miles away ) I called the shop and setup a time that they could look at it while I waited. I pulled the unit out of the MH and drove in down to them. They found a bad communication card.
Parts and labor $275, having a inver/charger that works Priceless !
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

New Inverter

I talked to the people at Xantrex today and he told me to disconnect and then reboot my unit. I did but the end result didn't change. I then researched the internet about inverters and then spoke with Gary at Magnum Energies about their units. He used to have WRV as a customer for a different company and was very knowledgeable about our coaches. He also said that many of the new motorhomes use Magnum products. I like the fact that they are made in the USA and you can repair these units whereas the Xantrex you cannot It should be here Thursday or Friday and then I will install it.

Larry
2004 40' MDTS
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Whatever you do, be careful!! I recently had a flash fire inside my Xantrex inverter (Freedom 458). Luckily it didn't get outside the case.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Just battled similar problem, but found that the Surge Guard was blocking the shore power, intermittently. I pulled it and found the four year old device had failing plastic everywhere, though otherwise looked new. The failure apparently contributed to it thinking there was an open ground, even though there was no continuity problem (dunno why). No I'm hoping TRC will feel obligated to replace it gratis.