RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Xantrex SW3012 Fan question

After suffering with an old Xantrex RS2000 for 11 years, I found a used SW3012 and just installed it. Upon power up the fans ramp up to full speed, then shut off. 3-Stage charging began at about 120 amps, but rapidly decreased as my batteries were not discharged very far. The fans never came on. Is this normal for the SW inverter/chargers?

I'm used to the RS2000 fans running constantly.

I haven't tried the inverter yet, so maybe the fans run only in inverter mode. Anyway, if some SW2012/3012 users can let me know their experiences with when, if ever, the fans run, I'd appreciate it. I did open the case and cleaned checked everything before installing. The fans spin easily, and remember, they do spin up momentarily upon power-up or reset of the inverter.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Interestingly, I complained that the fans in my 2012 ran all the time even when cold. I had it tested at about 2 years old but didn’t find a problem. Last year We had one or more batteries fail causing the charger to make some horrible noises. I took in for testing and they replaced the main board because the fans didn’t turn off. Supposedly, the fans should not come on below 110 degrees or so. But that”s an INTERNAL temperature.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I have the 3012 also and from what you describe yours is working right. Fans run on startup as part of internal diagnostics and after that they only run based on internal temperature. Whenever you plug into shore power the charger section starts bulk charging no matter the current state of battery discharge. The 3012 can produce 150amp maximum so if you are bulk charging at 120amp then I suspect your charging parameters in the control panel have been set lower to match the battery bank type and capacity. For example mine is set at 78% to get me a bulk charge rate of 117amp for my lead acid batteries.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, xantrex