Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #1

We have a 2004 Alpine with the above mentioned charging unit. We are having trouble with batteries (chassis) being overcharged and boiling out. Has anyone else had this problem with their unit and have they come up with a solution? We have replaced so many batteries, I've lost count.
greg & peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #2

We have a 2004 Alpine with the above mentioned charging unit. We are having trouble with batteries (chassis) being overcharged and boiling out. Has anyone else had this problem with their unit and have they come up with a solution? We have replaced so many batteries, I've lost count.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Have you checked the settings on the control panel?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Greg & Peggy:

Do you have Solar Panels? I had the same problem and found that WRV had not put a regulator on the Solar Panels which caused the batteries too constantly over charge. Once the regulator was installed it solved my problems.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #5

Yes, we have solar panels, but we understood that they were only for the house batteries and were not connected to the chassis batteries. Are we incorrect in this assumption?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #6

Dale,

Can you help us out with what the settings should be? From what I've been able to determine it's set at 650 ah, and that's the maximum setting, correct?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Greg,

What size are you solar panels?

Have you looked at the configure battery menu portion of owners manual?

PROsine 2.0 manual

Check, battery type, battery size, charger type (want 3-step).
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #8

Greg and Peggy,
We have a 2006 with a factory installed Xantrex RS 2000 inverter/monitor along with 5 solar panels connected to a Xantrex regulator and monitor. I also had the battery overcharge/boiling condition which was caused by the inverter not regulating the third stage of the charge, the "float period,"¯ it would remain at 14.3 to 14.4 instead of backing off after the "absorption"¯ period. I would suggest checking the charge cycle if your inverter is the three stage type: bulk, absorption, and float. No adjustments would help my problem so the inverter was changed out under warranty. Incidentally, Xantrex will exchange the inverter, but will not pay for installation. I could have saved myself $120 at Cummins Cal Pacific by doing it myself; it's a very simple swap.

Regarding whether the solar is connected to the house batteries and not the starting batteries, mine are connected to both – well sort of. As explained by my solar installer, there is a solenoid that closes at around 12.9v and connects the starting batteries so they will also charge. When I check my solar charge monitor at around 12.9v I can hear the solenoid shift closed and then opens somewhat randomly until the voltage steadies out above 13.0v; then I know the starting batteries are now connected. Obviously this feature is so that below 12.9v you won't be operating off the starting batteries while you're watching your favorite television program.

I only mentioned the solar system because during the inverter overcharging, the solar system was just the opposite; no matter what was done to the charge potentiometers they would not bring the three stage charge up past 13.7v during the absorption period. With the two problems I was faced with an overcharge when plugged in and not enough charge when operating on solar. The solar regulator had to be replaced. This almost sounds like Xantrex products have their problems. Actually, once all the components were changed-out everything has operated beautifully for the last year and I am extremely happy with the entire system. On a nice sunny summer day with a high sun angle I'm looking at well over a 35 amp charge with the panels and a full charge completed by around 11:00 am. This is after around three or four hours of the surround system and/or television and lots of lights the night before. To say I'm a fan of solar systems is an understatement; this is my third and by far the best yet.

Dick
2006 FDTS
San Diego, CA
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
On the other hand, WRV sometimes installed two solar panels. A 10W and a 100W panel. The 10w panel was laid against the roof, and glued down, and then wired into the circuit with the 100w panel. The constant heat directed at the white roof by the sun over time causes the panel to burn up part way. This is because of the installation method I think, but other theories exist as well.

I have just cut the wires on the 10w panel, because the manufacturer won't stand behind them, and never return the phone calls or e-mails about the poor manufactured panel. Just cut the wires, tape them up real good on the 10W panel and the overcharge condition should disappear. If this does not fix it, then the other suggestions on this thread should have the answer. Alpines need a lot of tender loving care. I figure my repair to camping ratio is about 85 camping to 15 on the repair maintenance side. Early on it was the other way, but slowly I have taken care of most of the bugs or know what the solution is.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote