Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #1

02 Tradewinds Air Dump

Long time lurker... first post. 02 Tradewinds LE Spartan Chasis, Power Gear manual levelers.

I’ve searched to no avail. Lots of, “This is how it works on mine...” but I really could use an ‘02 Tradewinds LE (M391) to chime in.

Question is around the air dump/fill circuit and function. Mine doesn’t seem to dump as I hold the rocker switch. I’ve validated the rocker switch itself is good. I went and checked the relays under the outside driver’s compartment. One relay actuates on downward rocker press. The other is on all the time, actuating as soon as the ignition switch is turned to run position (rather than only on upward rocker press as I expected).

Theory: If the relay that is always on is the “Fill” relay, then the “Dump” relay has no effect?

Thoughts?

Cheers in advance.
Rolling Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Welcome!

Not much I can do to help, but I'm sure someone will come along soon.
I have a closely related version of yours ( LTC 7391) only it is on a Freightliner chassis.
I had to learn how mine works the hard way. I have no manual and my dump valve stuck open last fall. Luckily it was at my house when it stuck.
My switch works like it is supposed to so I think.
Down is dump and up is fill. I can start the motor and it stays down unless I press it to make it fill the bags.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Not sure on the wire diagram, but mine dumps when you push the down side of rocker and raises when you push the top of the rocker. The key has to be on for the system to operate.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #4

If either of you two are really bored and want to check for me, if you go to the fuse bay outside under driver seat you’ll see 4 relays side by side, top center, each about 1.25 inch cube, black. Two operate air bags, one fill, one dump. The other two operate dash heater, and exhaust brake.

If you place your fingers on them you can feel them actuate. Can you have someone push the rocker each direction while you feel to see if that actuates them OR does only one (down) flip actuate one and the key switch to on position actuate the second one?

I’m trying to determine if my relays/wiring is correct or if the problem is further down the line.

Thanks for the assist!!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

Okay, got it resolved.

After reading other posts about air dump failure I decided to look at the valves themselves. What I discovered is the prior owner had not only disconnected but also plugged the air supply line that goes into the control valve. No idea why.

I reconnected and it works like a charm for both dump and fill. The valve doesn't seem to leak or appear faulty so not sure what the PO was trying to achieve. What I also discovered is the dump works even if the coach is in gear. This really surprised me and I now wonder if it could accidently be activated while rolling down the road at 70mph. That would be ugly.

Because I had the question myself, I'm going to describe the operation of the switch as it works on my unit. Again, a 2002 M391 Tradewinds on a Spartan chassis:

Engine running.
Trans in neutral.
Momentarily depress rocker switch on the bottom half (down). Air immediately dumps and coach settles onto chassis in about 3 seconds.

Momentarily depress rocker on top half and bags begin to fill, taking about 45 seconds to completely raise the coach to ride height.

I read other posts where the switch had to be held in place while filling or dumping. This is not the case with my coach.

Thanks for help.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chi View Post
Okay, got it resolved.

After reading other posts about air dump failure I decided to look at the valves themselves. What I discovered is the prior owner had not only disconnected but also plugged the air supply line that goes into the control valve. No idea why.

I reconnected and it works like a charm for both dump and fill. The valve doesn't seem to leak or appear faulty so not sure what the PO was trying to achieve. What I also discovered is the dump works even if the coach is in gear. This really surprised me and I now wonder if it could accidently be activated while rolling down the road at 70mph. That would be ugly.

Because I had the question myself, I'm going to describe the operation of the switch as it works on my unit. Again, a 2002 M391 Tradewinds on a Spartan chassis:

Engine running.
Trans in neutral.
Momentarily depress rocker switch on the bottom half (down). Air immediately dumps and coach settles onto chassis in about 3 seconds.

Momentarily depress rocker on top half and bags begin to fill, taking about 45 seconds to completely raise the coach to ride height.

I read other posts where the switch had to be held in place while filling or dumping. This is not the case with my coach.

Thanks for help.

Same with mine. I was about 2 days from moving and checking actuators. Glad you found the issue. Really wonder why that was done in the first place.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, wind