Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
06 Dolphin Electric Trumpet Horn

The trumpet horns do not work when I press the horn pad in the steering wheel. Does anyone know how the trumpet horn is wired? Who is the manufacturer of the horn?
RWDMLD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

Mine were not working either. The trumpets were full of road stuff and the diaphrams were rusty. Took them apart, cleaned them up and they worked great. Use a tester to see if the power to the horns (easy to check, just take back off horns). Not sure of the manufacturer but I believe they are marine horns.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I will take apart and clean. Is in my plan to check for power at the horn connections.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #4

Used sos pads on the diaphrams and they cleaned up real nice. Good luck on the project.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The back is loose one on of the horns. Do the snap off or do you remove the screws on the front of the horn? I plan to get ontop of th RV tis weekend to take a closer look and check out the electical wires.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #6

You have to take the screws out on the front. If I can remember there are about 8, They are only about a quarter inch long and removed with a phillips screw driver.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My under hood horns were FIAMMS so maybe the trumpet horn is as well. If you have electrical to horn then repair the horn as prescribed.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I removed the trumpet horns yesterday evening. The electrical connectors defective. When I took the horns apart I found two gaskets. One black rubber and one very deteriorated orange gasket. Will the horn work with this orange gasket? Is it time to buy new ones?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure ,what you mean about the orange gasket but first I would try to repair your horns. Perhaps there are repair kits I see them advertised when viewing information about horns. If you know the manufacturer visit the website and see if they have these kits
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #10

When I took mine apart the orange gasket was basicly disolved. Didn't worry about it because the black gasket seemed to seal up the unit around the screws so after cleaning up and fixing up the connections, I re-installed without the orange gasket.(if you feel the need to replace the orange gasket just pick up some of that gasket in the tube at any automotive store). I think the orange gasket just provided a buffer between the diaphram and the back cone of the horn. Mine worked fine once back together. My diaphrams were solid rust but with the sos pad I was able to get about 90% of it off (there was some staining from the rust on the diaphram but it dedn't seem to matter in the end). I'm not sure why but probably due to the state of the diaphrams once cleaned (maybe the cleaning changed the pitch) the horns sounded very diesel trainish (best way to describe it. Very nice load sound. As to new horns. 2 years after all this work had my awning let go and my now sail, took out the roof horns so they had to be replaced. The dealer that did the work could only find marine horns to replace them with. They look and sound great but very costly (good thing for insurance). Looking forward to how your project turns out.

Tags
dolphin