RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
06 Tradewinds Steering Wheel Vibration

Greeting All,

Hope all are well during these uncertain times!!

I have an 06 Tradewinds 40F on a Freightliner chassis. I purchased it 3 years ago, and upon the initial test drive, I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel 58-62 mph or so. Above that, 65 or faster, it pretty much goes away as it does below that. The tires at that time were one year old, and had <1,000 miles on them. I have tried a number of tire shops in the quest to get them balanced, but mine are a larger center hole and no shops here (Sacramento and surrounding area) have the adapter for these. They do have balancing beads in them, and I have had the tires broken down, had the beads checked and recentered, no change. Since most of our trips have only been under 5 hours, I have just put up with it. Until now.

I tried again another tire shop in the area, they again broke the tires down, reinflated flat as supposed to be done with beads, and tired the Centramatic balancing rings. That made the problem worse! I returned again today, and since the tires were on the less expensive side, I opted to put on Michelins; no balancing beads but did install the Centramatic rings. The problem persists, although not as bad.

Front shocks are new in the past year, that made no change. Front end alignment has been done and all joints checked, all good. Coach has 46K miles on her and always maintained. No accidents to my knowledge.

The vibration is clearly in the steering wheel, not in seat, so I don't believe its a drivetrain issue. Next step will be to remove the Centramatic rings and just try it with nothing just to see. I hope one day to be able to figure this out, so reaching out here to others, maybe someone has had a similar issue! Thanks all for reading, glad to give further info if needed.

William
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WildonesinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

If they are the same, Swap the front wheels for two from the rear.

If not the same, beg borrow or steal a pair, for a test to see the problem goes away.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

I have had a similar story as yours. I had a very noticeable vibration around the same speeds that you described. I have replaced all 6 tires with new Michelin's put new shocks on all 4 corners and put the centramatic's on rear and installed beads in the front. This has resulted in a drastic improvement but occasionally still have a slight vibration. I am thinking it maybe in the power steering pump/hydraulic system and have accepted it at this point.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew143 View Post
I have had a similar story as yours. I had a very noticeable vibration around the same speeds that you described. I have replaced all 6 tires with new Michelin's put new shocks on all 4 corners and put the centramatic's on rear and installed beads in the front. This has resulted in a drastic improvement but occasionally still have a slight vibration. I am thinking it maybe in the power steering pump/hydraulic system and have accepted it at this point.
Thanks Jake. I didn't want to go to the expense of replacing the rear tires too, but maybe. It is better, but still annoying. I am looking at some sort of steering stabilizer maybe, not sure what will work with the XC IFS but searching now. I will keep after it for a while!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-10-2020, 12:41 AM   #5

What do the tires look like when you spin them by hand? Any vertical or horizontal runout? I have a bent wheel on my Dolphin right now and am awaiting a replacement.

I can raise my front wheels off the ground with the leveling jacks and spin them by hand.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
What do the tires look like when you spin them by hand? Any vertical or horizontal runout? I have a bent wheel on my Dolphin right now and am awaiting a replacement.

I can raise my front wheels off the ground with the leveling jacks and spin them by hand.
I haven't checked that, but when I pick I up from storage later this week I will check it and see. Updates to come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
steering, vibration, wind