Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
06 Tropical, Switch, whats it do?

At the entry door there's a 3 position toggle switch labeled "light"that turns on a small light that illuminates the switch panel. It also turns on the stepwell light. My question is that the switch has another position that doesn't seem to do anything. Just curious what its supposed to do?
Also, are there wiring diagrams available for National Motorhomes? I can see it coming in handy when troubleshooting is neccesary.
Don
Don and Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes there are switches that do nothing---I have an auxillary on my dash like that----soon it will power anything I can think of---soem gadget I want.

Pull the switch and see if the third pole has a wire?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the time the switch by the door controls the outside light and many times one inside overhead light. (So you don,t have to come into a dark coach.)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I looked at the back of the switch and it does have a third wire on it that goes into the harness. I suppose it could be an extra and not used, but seems strange that National utilized a 3 position switch and ran wiring to it.
There's a separate switch that turns on the ceiling lights in the front of the coach .
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

There is some wiring info at the Yahoo National RV group. You have to join to get to the 'files' section. NationalRV : National_RV
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
On my 05 Dolphin a similar switch energizes lights in the basement comparrtments.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Kim View Post
At the entry door there's a 3 position toggle switch labeled "light"that turns on a small light that illuminates the switch panel. It also turns on the stepwell light. My question is that the switch has another position that doesn't seem to do anything. Just curious what its supposed to do?
Also, are there wiring diagrams available for National Motorhomes? I can see it coming in handy when troubleshooting is neccesary.
Don

Don,

On our 03 LTC, the up position turns on the same lights only when the door is open. In the down position, the lights are on all the time. It took me a while to figure this out as the magnetic switch in the door frame that controls this function was not working as there was too much distance between the door and the door frame. I ended up attaching a small magnet to the door side with glue which fixed it. Hope this helps.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Ken, I believe your setup is how ours is wired. I was looking in the RH front wheelwell and it appears someone has cut some wires and possibly replaced one the magnetic switches in the door jamb. Ken, could I ask if you know how many magnetic switches are installed in your door jamb? I have 2, the lower one is defective, it always measures a short circuit whether there's a magnet next to it or not. Above it, is another switch of a different style that operates the steps. This is the switch I believe was replaced.
Thanks, Don
Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #9

Don, I have 2 switches and they look different from another. You are correct that one is for the step. The upper switch on mine controls the light. The portion on the door is in a black rectangular plate attached with 2 screws.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Ken for the feedback. Mine sounds similar, except my step switch(which is square and fastened w/2 screws) is mounted above the round switch. Now if I only had the wiring diagrams!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #11

Don, If you don't already belong, there is also a NRV Yahoo group which has a few wiring files for later model Tropicals that might be of help. Free to join. Look on the left side of the page and select the "file" section

Try this link or do a Google search:
NationalRV : National_RV
Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #12

Has anyone replaced the top light that illuminates the panel? Mine is out (just the light illuminating the stepwell is working). Do you have to remove the entire panel to get at the light?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Dave,
I was in the switch panel today and the light snaps into the panel. The 6 screws that hold the panel need to be removed and the panel pulled out. The bulb and holder have 6" wires that have push on terminals. It has a small bulb inside of the holder, but its not designed to be replaced since its crimped into the wire leads and doesn't use a socket. I replaced ours with a white LED so it can be done if you're patient and use a solder iron.
Don
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #14

06 Tropical switch

Don
Thanks for the input. I think I'll leave well enough alone until I have to get into the switch panel for something else. I have lived without it since I bought the coach.