Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

120 volt plug-in

I am replacing older model front TV with a LED tv. now there is 2 problems

1) cannot get tv to get a picture or sound--says not connected to antenna
only connected to over the air with a bat wing antenna older tv worked
fine with this hookup

2) National & maybe other manufactures have this special plug for front TV's
it is made by POWER TEK model RL1007 and has 2 plug-ins one
marked
TV and one marked VCR I suppose they need to be that way so that front
TV goes off if you try to drive with TV on. anyway here is the confusing
part----I tested both outlets for 120 volts and they were ok but when I
plug-in TV or VCR the voltage reads totally different saying I have a
short & neither plug is operative. unplug TV & VCR and plug reads
correct voltage again

anyone ever experienced this problem?? voltage changing when
something is plugged in
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #2

Questions.
What brand and model of TV are you installing ?
Was the original TV supplied antenna signal over coax , through a input control box ( BOMB ; Box Of Many Buttons) ?
On the Power Tek box are there 12 volt connections that would control an internal shut down from the ignition lock out ?
Was the original TV operating properly though this 120 volt power box ?

If your reading 120 volts on a meter and the TV drops the voltage , it could be bad internal contacts on the shut down relay .
Have you tried plugging in a lamp ?
Have you tried the TV somewhere else?
Could be the box will pass enough power to show on the meter but when amps are required the contacts are poor enough that enough juice to operate the TV won't go through .
Remember a meter only needs mili-amps for a reading , when there's a real demand for power , poor connections show up.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you programed the tv to the antenna?
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
Have you programed the tv to the antenna?
Think this might be the Issue - when we get a new TV i Have one of the kids make it work - ........

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Think this might be the Issue - when we get a new TV i Have one of the kids make it work - ........

When one replaces an older TV with a modern TV, two things come to mind:
clean power source and proper connections.
As mentioned above, the new set's antenna feed may be set to 'cable' or some auxiliary input. Make sure it's set to 'antenna'.
Since the new TV is actually giving you a message that the antenna isn't connected, I'd say that the TV is on and working. The power issue may actually be a problem with your test meter, particularly if you are using an inverter to power the outlet. If so, you'll need a test meter that reads 'true RMS'.
My guess is that, once the TV is set to receive over the air broadcasts, your problem with everything else will be cured. Like Busskipper said, Get the kids or grandkids to help!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

haven't had a chance to work onto problem till other day. the TV is now in & working however see if anyone with more experience with wiring/electrical can explain this. plugged TV in same plug as previous TV & gets a short reading. I now have it plugged into a strip that you can purchase at any hardware store (everyone has these in their home) I think they are called surge protectors-----however this has a plug with a separate ground (3) prongs. why would the TV work correctly on a 3 prong plug and not when when only using the TV with 2 prongs directly plugged into socket?????

this has become a mistery to me
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
haven't had a chance to work onto problem till other day. the TV is now in & working however see if anyone with more experience with wiring/electrical can explain this. plugged TV in same plug as previous TV & gets a short reading. I now have it plugged into a strip that you can purchase at any hardware store (everyone has these in their home) I think they are called surge protectors-----however this has a plug with a separate ground (3) prongs. why would the TV work correctly on a 3 prong plug and not when when only using the TV with 2 prongs directly plugged into socket?????

this has become a mistery to me
A mystery, indeed! How does the TV give you a reading that identifies a 'short'?

I suspect that your motorhome always powers the TV/VCR outlet by the inverter. Have you run an extension cord to a shore-powered 120 V outlet to see whether the TV works okay from a shore power? (I'd try this test without using the power strip.) Then try the test with the power strip in the circuit. Any difference?

You might want to try a different power strip/surge protector, too. I've heard that they sometimes go bad following a surge, but then, why would the TV work if the power strip was bad?

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.