RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
1996 Dolphin 30 vs 50 amp question

I'm confused. I just bought this 96 Dolphin 535 with 5500 watt generac. It has a 50 amp plg but plugs into a 30 amp plug in the water/sewer bay. Does this mean I can only plug into a 30 amp shore power. If this is the case will I be able to run both air conditioning units? What would happen if I plug in to a 50 amp shorepower?

lbaker5644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
I am not sure what you mean about the 30 amp in the water/sewer bay...

I have a square receptacle on the side of the coach, not in a bay, where the 50 amp plug connectes to.

I also have a conversion coard that hooks up to the end of my 50 amd coard if I need to use 30 amp service.

Even though when hooked up to a 30 amp service, I generally don't have an issue running my equipment, but obviously you will have less amps and may through a breaker easier than when hooked up to the 50 amp service.

Maybe you could attach a picture of what you are asking about.

I hope that helps.

Ted.

PS: Wellcome to the site. Enjoy your N2U RV.

tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 30 amp is in the sewer bay and I can only run one air conditioner on it. I am not sure about the 50 amp.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Toadog, do you have a dolphin as well? Have you ever plugged in to 50 amp shore power?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #5

Just bought a 1997 Dolphin. My understanding is 30 amp service. Plug is 30 amp. Brochure says can run two A/C because of the intellitec or what ever it is on board for managing load. We had both A/C on when checking it out but haven't really set in campground and used it. The genny will be adequate but have to manage the load.

Ibaker, are you suggesting one get some sort of adapter so you can adapt your plug to 50 amp circuit. Wouldn't that feed two 120 volt lines to your one? How does that work? Do they offer a single 120 volt line with a 50amp capacity at campgrounds? Than I guess your load would be limited by the breaker for you system. Interesting. Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Just bought a 1997 Dolphin. My understanding is 30 amp service. Plug is 30 amp. Brochure says can run two A/C because of the intellitec or what ever it is on board for managing load. We had both A/C on when checking it out but haven't really set in campground and used it. The genny will be adequate but have to manage the load.

Ibaker, are you suggesting one get some sort of adapter so you can adapt your plug to 50 amp circuit. Wouldn't that feed two 120 volt lines to your one? How does that work? Do they offer a single 120 volt line with a 50amp capacity at campgrounds? Than I guess your load would be limited by the breaker for you system. Interesting. Thanks
Here's a previous thread that explains it.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/using...ice-70298.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Your '96 Dolphin is a 30amp coach. The plug/cord is 30 amp and plugs into 30amp receptical at a CG or home.

Your Generac is 5500w or about 50amp capable. If you look at the Generac, you will see a 30a breaker and a 20a breaker on the front of it.

That 30a circuit powers the cord which must be plugged in the bay to power the coach with 30a.

The 20a circuit is hardwired to the coach to power the rear AC via a transfer switch. So, if you are under generator power, you have a full 30a for the coach and 20a to power the rear AC.

When you are only on shore power (30a only), that's all you have for the entire coach, including the rear AC. On my 99, I have an Intellitec EMS (energy mgt system). With that, I can run both ACs at once if I don't run much else. Not sure if your 96 has this, but I suspect it does. If you have a display center in the hall that shows amps, has Intellitec on it and 4 lights, that's it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaker5644 View Post
Toadog, do you have a dolphin as well? Have you ever plugged in to 50 amp shore power?
You cannot plug your Dolphin into a 50a outlet. A 50a outlet has two 50a circuits totaling 100amp, or you can look at it as a 240v receptical. The 50a outlet has 4 connections, a neutral,ground and two 50a hots. Your 30a only has 3 connections, neutral, ground and one 30a hot. So to begin with, your cord won't even fit into a 50a outlet, and that's for a VERY GOOD reason.

I'll go one step further as you will encounter this. They make a 50a to 30a adapter. This is so you can plug your 30a coach into a 50a outlet if a 30a is not available. However, you still only get 30a as the adapter only allows one of those 50a circuits to reach the coach. Yes you then have 50a available at the main panel in the coach. However, the main 30a breakers in the coach will trip if the coach trys to use more than 30a. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the info! If I understand correctly it won't hurt anything in the coach if I plug in to 50 amp but I will still only have 30 amp service and only be able to run one air? If need be could I also run my generator while plugged in to shore power and be able to run both air conditioners? Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all the info! If I understand correctly it won't hurt anything in the coach if I plug in to 50 amp but I will still only have 30 amp service and only be able to run one air? If need be could I also run my generator while plugged in to shore power and be able to run both air conditioners? Thanks again!
Yes you can plug into 50a with an adapter. In your case there is no difference between the two. You should be able to run both ACs on 30a with your National.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If need be could I also run my generator while plugged in to shore power and be able to run both air conditioners? Thanks again!
I guess I didn't address this question enough. As I sad, with the EMS you have (have you checked yet?) You can run both ACs on 30a. If you don't have the EMS, then you would need to run the genny to get that extra 20a for the rear AC. What is not clear to me is, is the system smart enough to allow 30a from shore and still allow the 20a from the genny....since it goes through a tranfer switch. This is something I'll need to run a test on. On those rare occasions I need both ACs on shore, because the wife wanted to run the convection oven, I just ran the genny for everything until the wife was done.