Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If those are your batteries (first pictures were of interstate batteries) they appear to be connected together correctly. However, I see two cables not connected. One looks like the end of a interconnect cable, can't see the other end. The second cable that is not connected leads to the coach? or chassis? In you original posts you said you had 6 cables, I count 7. Without knowing where all the cables go, it's hard to determine which battery/batteries they connect to. Have you or previous owner added an inverter?
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshproducts View Post
This is new updated pics of batteries. These are NEW.
And that set up works correctly, yes?
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to joshproducts
Quote:
This is new updated pics of batteries. These are NEW.
There is a battery cable not hooked up between the two batteries that is a spare. The cable i wonder about is the on that is coming through the center hole. it is not connected. Where do I hook that one to. it was connected to the neg on the center battery is this where it should go?if you look at the batteries they are turned around from each other. so neg to neg and pos to pos. nothing going to starter battery.
joshproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #46

You don't typically have additional grounds coming in through the walls of a coach to a battery box. ( except in diesel coaches )..... That being said an additional cable coming in should be red if attached to positive just for confusion sake. That doesn't mean the previous owner didn't use a black wire for power to an inverter, house battery to starter battery solenoid relay or some other draw. Most ground requirements out side the battery compartment can be picked up on the frame or any thing that is bolted to the frame, therefore illiminating the need for a long wire going back to the battery ground. The most common additional wire coming in to the battery box would be for a main cb or solenoid power distribution panel. Can you trace it? I would suggest you chase any cable to its destination if it was connected to your previous battery series set up of 24 vdc . It only takes a brief instant of that 24 vdc to burn something up. Usually its fused because it's a common ocurance. Your battery connections are correct now, you should have dc power to everything now. With shore power applied you should also be reading a charge at the batteries of about 13.6 volts from your converter. If your shore power doesn't charge your engine battery normally then when you depress your battery assist switch on the dash to connect the coach and engine batteries you should get the 13.6 converter charge voltage at the engine battery. This is a good way to check and see if your solenoid for coupling the coach and engine batteries is working. So what are your current power problems? Check all known fuses and cb's. There are some in line and not in boxes. Buy a cheap volt meter and check for power at the points where it's missing and chase it back to where it's there. Good luck
2000 Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
There is a battery cable not hooked up between the two batteries that is a spare. The cable i wonder about is the on that is coming through the center hole. it is not connected. Where do I hook that one to. it was connected to the neg on the center battery is this where it should go?if you look at the batteries they are turned around from each other. so neg to neg and pos to pos. nothing going to starter battery.
1. Was the cable that's not connected to the negative of the middle before the battery change or after?

2. If the cable that is not connected actually is for the coach/house ground it gets connected to the negative of the left battery. However, be very careful you already have a cable connected to the negative of the left battery. As 2000 Damon said you should normally only have one cable connected there unless an inverter has been added. But then you would have a second cable connected to the positive of the middle battery. That's what I have because I added a 2000 watt inverter.

3. The cable that is connected to the positive on the middle battery is worthless because the copper wires have been destroyed and will not conduct electrical as it needs to. Either replace it or if it is long enough cut it back to good clean copper and crimp a new lug on it.

4. As I said earlier the only way anyone can tell you which battery and terminals they connect to is by tracing them to where the other end connect.

5. I would say by the way the positive terminal on the middle battery looks you had a dead short when the cable was connected. Or the batteries were connected in series and you put 24V into you BCC, that is what I think happened. If that is the case you have more problems then this forum can help you with. Since you said earlier that your not going to crawl under the MH and trace thd cables, you need to find a good mobile mechanic to trace the cables and check the BCC. You can contact RV Custom Products to get a schematic and troubleshooting guide for the BCC.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA. 90670
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Ok everyone! I want to thank everyone for the input on this battery problem i had.

I have it hooked up and seems to be working fine. But I do want people to still have input on this if anyone has any idea of better ways of hooking batteries up. The problem is that motorhomes don't come with a Diagram of how to do this safely. For most that work on cars and such they my think that this is an easy thing. But when you pay this much for a motorhome you don't want to damage it or have to spend more money then you have to.

Thanks again to you all.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #49

Where did you connect the final unknown wire to ? Was it a positive cable ?
2000 Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Or how about a pic of your final wiring hookup? A picture of your batteries hookup may be helpful to others in the future. I'm also curious to know where the final unknown wire was fastened to.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
well there will be no more pics. The last picture is the way they are connected now. I did conect the last wire to the middle battery neg post and it seems to be ok.

Tags
battery