Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #1

Question 1998 National Dolphin RV

I'm new to rv's. purchased this one to live in as I had to take a job out of state. Now I cant get any hot water. gas fires..water will not circulate. does anyone know where I can find repair guide or diagrams of plumbing layout and wiring. 2 weeks of cold water is old. thanks
steammaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I'll move this to the National Owners Forum where someone may be able to assist. Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
First thing to check is the Water Heater Bypass Valve. I'll attach a picture of the one in my Tradewinds. It will look a lot like yours. Be sure there is water in the tank before you fire it up. If you run the burner without water you will destroy the heater tank. Do this by hooking up to city water and push the lever on top of the pressure relief valve in the water tank. The valve in the picture is in the Bypass Position and that bypasses the water heater.

Good Luck
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3538.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	40150  
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Does the water pump function? It is located behind the panel in the water management / hook up basement section.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

the cold water works. is this pump for hot only
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Pump functions whole moho... Open water heater cover on exterior flip the relief safety valve. Water should come out. If not then issue is by pass valve not set correctly. Plus maybe dsmaged element. Under sink in the back one can access the electric on off switch that decides if hooked to shore or generator running the element heats up. I added a surface mount switch so I did not burn the element if no water in the tank. .......
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Also, look for a kinked hose coming from your water heater. If your heater is in slide like mine, I found the hoses to be be very badly located and poorly sized so as to be too tight when slide extended.

The back side of my water heater is accessed from under my sink with the WH behind a piece of mahogany plywood.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Welcome to the site; on my Dolphine 1994, the hot water heater is located under the refrigerator. There a cabinet door below the refrigeration, if you look in there you will see the hot water heater with two lines running in to it. Between them is another line (bypass), on each line there are Quarter turn values, they must be in line main lines, not the bypass line.
seabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
First thing to check is the Water Heater Bypass Valve. I'll attach a picture of the one in my Tradewinds. It will look a lot like yours. Be sure there is water in the tank before you fire it up. If you run the burner without water you will destroy the heater tank. Do this by hooking up to city water and push the lever on top of the pressure relief valve in the water tank. The valve in the picture is in the Bypass Position and that bypasses the water heater.

Good Luck
Dick
Thanks for the response. One question. When I put the waterheater in service, water runs out of the drain valve. When I plug it with my finger(which is for a short time because of the pressure) I can get water out of the hotwater side of the outside shower. So I think this is the problem. But I can"t see if there is a valve that would isolate this drain or if something blew off but it is an open valve that if I had a way to close it I think it would work. I tried to put a cork plug in it but it blew out. Can you tell me if this is suppose to be open or if there is a valve to isolate it. Do you have a picture of yours. It is the drain between the 3 position valve and the flush valve. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Also, look for a kinked hose coming from your water heater. If your heater is in slide like mine, I found the hoses to be be very badly located and poorly sized so as to be too tight when slide extended.

The back side of my water heater is accessed from under my sink with the WH behind a piece of mahogany plywood.
Thanks for the response. One question. When I put the waterheater in service, water runs out of the drain valve. When I plug it with my finger(which is for a short time because of the pressure) I can get water out of the hotwater side of the outside shower. So I think this is the problem. But I can"t see if there is a valve that would isolate this drain or if something blew off but it is an open valve that if I had a way to close it I think it would work. I tried to put a cork plug in it but it blew out. Can you tell me if this is suppose to be open or if there is a valve to isolate it. Do you have a picture of yours. It is the drain between the 3 position valve and the flush valve. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabum View Post
Welcome to the site; on my Dolphine 1994, the hot water heater is located under the refrigerator. There a cabinet door below the refrigeration, if you look in there you will see the hot water heater with two lines running in to it. Between them is another line (bypass), on each line there are Quarter turn values, they must be in line main lines, not the bypass line.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
Pump functions whole moho... Open water heater cover on exterior flip the relief safety valve. Water should come out. If not then issue is by pass valve not set correctly. Plus maybe dsmaged element. Under sink in the back one can access the electric on off switch that decides if hooked to shore or generator running the element heats up. I added a surface mount switch so I did not burn the element if no water in the tank. .......
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post

Good Luck
Dick

Tags
dolphin, national