Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #1

1998 SeaBreeze Gas problem

I have a 1998 National SeaBreeze 31ft with the P30 Chevy chassis. Fuel leaks out of it during refueling. I looked under there and discovered the fuel & vent hoses are going to need to be replaced due to cracking. My question is, does anyone know the part number to those parts or how would you go about repairing the problem?
Thomas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the part numbers are not visable. I would just remove both hoses for a closer inspection. Failing that, take them to your local auto parts store with all your info. VIN# may be useful.

Worse case senario, you by some generic hoses and cut them to fit.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
My 1999 Tradewinds had the same problem and when I went to Freightliner to buy replacement hoses they said they don't sell them. They gave me the name of a specialty hose shop that was local and I took a section of the hoses down to them. They had them in stock and sold me a length of each. The large hose was about $50 for a five ft. length and the vent hose was about $30. The only problems I had installing them was access to the hose clamp on the tank. It was a bear to get at. Then I cut the large hose a little too long and developed a trap in the routing. This caused the pump to shut off too soon, so I had to remove the end at the fill tube end and cut some off to get a straight downward run to the tank.
Dick
Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My fuel filler hose was leaking whenever I filled up the tank. When I inspected the hose I found the manufacturer used a 2" flex hose with a 90 degree bend. The hose had developed a leak right at that bend.

I went to an auto parts store for the fuel filler hose, then went to a muffler shop and had them fabricate an 18" length of 2" exhaust pipe with a 90 degree bend. This is the way it should have been designed in the first place.

Now when I fill my tank I have no leaks and for the first time it holds fuel vapor pressure.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas problem

First, you should tell the Forum where you live. It would help getting access to whatever part/service you may need.

Second, you do not need to replace with OEM parts. Find a dealer that carries fuel filler hose and have your local RV service repair fix it for you. I had a fuel fill problem, and that is what my RV service center did.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Under the OP's Profile he lives in Waynesboro GA.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

I checked the hoses and it appears that just the vent hose that is leaking. I would like to replace both of them because the gas hose is dry rotted as well. I looked (to the best I could) but could not find a part number on either hose. I looked in my owners manual and was not able to find anything their either.
The reason why I asked bout the part number is because I was orginally just going to go buy a generic fuel hose and cut it to length. But was informed that they had no idea what type of hose and would need at least a part number for replacement.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #8

Wanabee, So how did you incorporate pipe in the repair?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas41 View Post
Wanabee, So how did you incorporate pipe in the repair?
The 2" exhaust pipe was a perfect snug fit into the 2" fuel filler hose. Looking at the routing path for the hose I measured and determined what angle would be best for the exhaust pipe. I then secured everything with new 2-1/4" worm gear clamps. It was much easier to do then I thought it would be.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
The 2" exhaust pipe was a perfect snug fit into the 2" fuel filler hose. Looking at the routing path for the hose I measured and determined what angle would be best for the exhaust pipe. I then secured everything with new 2-1/4" worm gear clamps. It was much easier to do then I thought it would be.

You have me curious, is there anyway you can take a picture? This sounds like something I may want to do.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #11

When I put the Chevy stepside bed on my 94 Dodge Ram, I bent a coat hanger into the shape I needed for a filler hose, went to an auto parts store and bought a radiator hose to fit. It has worked fine since 94 without any deterioration or leaks. If a radiator hose stands up to high heat, pressure, antifreeze and other chemicals, it can surely stand up to the short period of time gasoline is in contact with it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas41 View Post
You have me curious, is there anyway you can take a picture? This sounds like something I may want to do.
This is an insane angle to try and use 2" fuel flex hose for. I went to Walt's muffler and had them bend a 2" exhaust tube to my specifications. He made it out of scrap in about 5 minutes while I waited. When I asked how much do I owe you, he said "awe don't worry about it, it was nothing"

I even tried to hand him 20 bucks, but he refused. I then told him thank you very much and whenever I have a real job I'll be back. Great little shop in Spanaway WA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuelfiller3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	24843  

Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for your help and advise on this. Hopefully I can get this taken care of really quick...

Tags
gas