Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:07 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
I guess it's just too much to ask that RV manufacturers take the time and trouble to label stuff or to include something about it in the operator's manual.
I've seen dozens (really a lot more) National RV motor homes (especially 1999 Tradewinds) and have never seen them use this kind of switch. Others here have suggested things (generator, stereo, etc.) that are all on that dash and clearly labeled. Like the similar light on my dash, I'm certain that your switch and light were added by a previous owner and not National.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, there is a rocker switch to switch the radio to shore power. No, it isn't the kill switch for the generator.

The red light above the switch doesn't light up when the switch is moved either up or down. The white wires attached to the switch appear to go right into the main wiring loom which indicates to me that it is a factory installed switch, not an after market installation. I have not yet tried the load tests suggested by BFlinn181. I will keep searching and testing and see if I can find its purpose.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a '99 T'winds and it didn't have that switch or light. The light looks like one used by Roadmaster on one of their brake systems to signal when the brake was activated after so many seconds. There was also a buzzer that sounds.

Go to the rear of the coach and see if there is a single wire back there somewhere. That wire went to the toad for the brake system
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #18

Mistery switch on dash

I have a 99 Tradewinds and it has a similar switch that used to work a security system. The security system has never worked since I got the coach second hand. Getting in to the wiring, it was hooked up to a board under the driver left consol below the engine brake switch. I think the device gave to many false alarms and the previous owner had it disconnected. Never did find any documents about the Security system with the coach.
rlgjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgjlg View Post
I have a 99 Tradewinds and it has a similar switch that used to work a security system. The security system has never worked since I got the coach second hand. Getting in to the wiring, it was hooked up to a board under the driver left consol below the engine brake switch. I think the device gave to many false alarms and the previous owner had it disconnected. Never did find any documents about the Security system with the coach.
But was it factory installed? The OP said his switch wires go into the wiring loom. On my RV the white wires are all labeled with their function, printed by the Gulf Stream.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #20

I have light similar on my Dolphin. It is brake indicator for toad.
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #21

My security system was not installed by National. It was an add on that a PO had installed.
rlgjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ahhhh yes. The security system. I do have a security system in the coach but it doesn't seem to be operational. I received two remote key fobs when I purchased the coach that I was told were for the security system. And, there is a motion sensor in the middle of the cockpit ceiling. But, nothing happens when I try to activate the alarm from the fobs. So, that may very well be what the switch is for. That will give me a new direction to search. Thanks rlg for the new idea.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Ahhhh yes. The security system. I do have a security system in the coach but it doesn't seem to be operational. I received two remote key fobs when I purchased the coach that I was told were for the security system. And, there is a motion sensor in the middle of the cockpit ceiling. But, nothing happens when I try to activate the alarm from the fobs. So, that may very well be what the switch is for. That will give me a new direction to search. Thanks rlg for the new idea.
That might explain the unlabeled switch.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #24

The tiny toggle switch, similar to my previously owned 03 tradewinds, may be an electric brake for TOAD. If you have a tow vehicle plug at the back, try holding the toggle on while multi meter the plug.
Sea Can
Old 10-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From this statement Iíd say it has to be OEM.

Quote:
Here is a photo of the mystery switch. The wires to it just seem to disappear into the main wiring loom.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Nope, it's not anything to do with wiring for a TOAD. Even though the wires go into the main wiring harness I'm now convinced that it is the switch for the alarm system that is not functioning. The wires that go to that switch appear to be the same type as the wires that go to the overhead motion detector which are visible in the cavity behind the TV in the overhead console. It may have been an OEM add-on special order item which would account for the wiring routing through the harness.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. It is much appreciated.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #27

My guess was mirror heat
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #28

I have the same little red light and it goes to a brake system for the road. It lights up when road is hooked up and you apply the brakes.
JimmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, dash, switch