Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
chboone is correct in post #14. Depending on the quality of your short and the connection, you may be dropping as much as 1.5 volts across the short, leaving only 11 volts to run the slide motor, causing the motor to draw excess current when it runs,.... and blowing the fuse. Raising the voltage to 13.8 volts will likely correct the problem. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Did you have the engine running or shore line plugged in when operating the slide? As the battery voltage goes down the amp draw goes up. Next time run the engine or generator or shore line plugged in to keep the battery voltage up. Generator or shore line will only help if your converter/charger is working. RV refrigerators take time to get to full cooling capacity. My side X side takes about 12 hrs to be cold enough to load it with cold food.
Thank you. I had the shore line plugged in, the engine was not running. I'm not sure why the slide is drawing enough power to blow the fuse (Buss 20 amp 32v ceramic).
The generator needs attention, it started and ran for a short period then stalled. She has been sitting for a bit. The slide switch is a key switch located inside the entry door in the same panel as the battery disconnect, ceiling lights, and step switches.
She's a 1999 Tropical 6350 with the Triton V-10 70k miles and runs like new. Very well maintained mechanically just a few bugs to deal with.
The generac gen was replaced at 2100 hours with an onan 5500.

Scott
Florida Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
chboone is correct in post #14. Depending on the quality of your short and the connection, you may be dropping as much as 1.5 volts across the short, leaving only 11 volts to run the slide motor, causing the motor to draw excess current when it runs,.... and blowing the fuse. Raising the voltage to 13.8 volts will likely correct the problem. Rook
Thank you Rook, I was using 12 guage stranded with alligator clips. This lit up the house, allowed the generator to turn, the jacks to function, refer to cool. However when turning the generator the clips got very warm. I shut everything down to run the slide in and the fuse blew. Took me a couple of times to figure out why the slide was stopping The accessory fuse panel for the slide seems autonomous from the 12v distribution panel. It is right beside it with some wiring separate and has a 20amp black box after the buss 20amp fuse. Today I picked up a spool of 10 guage stranded and heavy duty clamps.

Scott
Old 12-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Easy to troubleshoot. The fact thet you were plugged into shore power, does not mean that you were delivering 13.8 VDC to JP3. The Inverter may not be working properly, charging the house batteries to 13.8VDC. Check it by measuring from JP3 to ground, should be at least 13.8VDC if inverter is working properly. If ok, then measure JP2 to ground with the short in place and with slide motor running.....should be at least 11 VDC or higher. If not, then your house batteries are likely bad or need charging. ROOK

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Fun View Post
She's a 1999 Tropical 6350 with the Triton V-10 70k miles and runs like new.

Scott
Your Tropical is similar if not the same layout as my 99 Dolphin 5350.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #20

I have this link I got from someone not sure who but it is pretty decent.
http://www.nationalrv.org/

OR

My Files