Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

2001 Islander shower upgrade

I finally found out that American Shower in L.A. was the oem for the curved shower door and the 2 associated panels that make up the shower.

My DW wants to upgrade our interior to brushed nickle instead of the gold tone look.

I drew up some shop drawings so that I could submit to them for a quote to provide a knock down enclosure that I would install myself. I was shocked that my quote from American for around 3000.00!!

I found companies close to where I live that would re-frame my existing temp glass for 280.00 per panel.
They won't help with the curved shower door.
So I'm looking at 2500.00 just for the curved door!! Yikes I need other ideas, can the existing frames be re- anodized?

Any help appreciated!!
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This comment is not offered as "help". But maybe a cautionary vote for "wisdom" and reason. Perhaps it's time to gently "share" the difficulties you describe for purging the "gold" color with your DW.....along with your pleadings for reason! You could paint it with enamel paint.....any color! Rook (single)

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #3

@Rock, Thanks for the wisdom, I have been married for 28 great years and I really just try to give her what she wants, God knows she never says anything when I'm doing my thing lol, lol.

On a good note, I did JUST get off the phone with a company that says they can re-anodize all of aluminum frames, I just have to now disassemble it all and go in for a quote.

Looks like I may be able get it done for under 1k. Just don't want to break that curved glass.

Happier in Elk Grove!!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck with this project. Breaking or chipping that curved glass will not go down well. And, there is that risk, as you well know......Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #5

We recently changed all of the gold/brass fixtures and trim in our 99 Tradewinds.
The shower trim replacement trim looked to be expensive, so we painted the exterior trim and the upper piece around the back inside the shower with Rustoleum satin black spray paint. It looks great today after 2 years and the paint has held up well. Painted the ends of the towel rod holders and replaced the rods with chrome/silver. Note: Did not paint the inside trim as we did not want to trust the durability of the paint -- The gold is only visible with the shower door open or when using the shower.
This inside of the shower is the only gold visible in the rig -- maybe someday I might tackle it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some other decor ideas: If you have brass towel rods on door, these can be removed and painted. Gray plastic trim around the fridge can be painted- we went with satin black and it really looks sharp--it has held up reasonably well, however will require some touch-up on handle due to small amount of wear. Chrome auto trim with 3M self- adhering tape to cover gold trim on window boxes and a few other places. Reading lights can be spray painted along with other fixtures that are not replaced. Replace cabinet hinges, handles and pulls and the gold is gone.

Hope this helps.
Tradewinds JB
'99 Tradewinds 7372
TradewindsJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradewindsJB View Post
We recently changed all of the gold/brass fixtures and trim in our 99 Tradewinds.
The shower trim replacement trim looked to be expensive, so we painted the exterior trim and the upper piece around the back inside the shower with Rustoleum satin black spray paint. It looks great today after 2 years and the paint has held up well. Painted the ends of the towel rod holders and replaced the rods with chrome/silver. Note: Did not paint the inside trim as we did not want to trust the durability of the paint -- The gold is only visible with the shower door open or when using the shower.
This inside of the shower is the only gold visible in the rig -- maybe someday I might tackle it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some other decor ideas: If you have brass towel rods on door, these can be removed and painted. Gray plastic trim around the fridge can be painted- we went with satin black and it really looks sharp--it has held up reasonably well, however will require some touch-up on handle due to small amount of wear. Chrome auto trim with 3M self- adhering tape to cover gold trim on window boxes and a few other places. Reading lights can be spray painted along with other fixtures that are not replaced. Replace cabinet hinges, handles and pulls and the gold is gone.

Hope this helps.
Tradewinds JB
'99 Tradewinds 7372
Tradewinds JB

Does your unit have the curved shower door? We actually swapped out all of our lighting fixtures and cabinet hardware. We like the change as well I am also replacing all faucets, soap disp etc.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #7

Shower door in '99 Tradewinds is flat.

One thought: Try the paint option and determine if you both are satisfied, as Rook mentioned. It will look more up to date than the gold trim and the cost is minimal for materials.

TradewindsJB
'99 Tradewinds 7372
TradewindsJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Why not take a good look at Powder coating the existing frame pieces and anything else in the room you want to match.
I have powder coated a bunch of stuff with great results.
I have used three different shops with the same results from all of them. They have lots of colors available so I am sure they have the look you want.
It's worth a look before you write any checks!
Mike
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #9

Mike, that's not a bad idea, I'd find a anodizer local to me, Noelle I just need to find the time and gonads to take this curved door apart without it cracking.

Tags
shower, upgrade