Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #1

2002 Dolphin Workhorse W22 Catalytic Converter

I am sad to say they got my catalytic converter from my secured storage facility as well. Does anyone know what would be a replacement for it?
raineeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #2

Mine were stolen off my 2004 W-22 as well. I replaced them with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are not CARB compliant, but unless you live in California, that shouldn't be an issue. I've put over 10,000 miles on them so far with no problems.

Insurance company cut me a check for about $2,300 based on the Workhorse replacement cost, so I made some money on the deal. The thieves made a nice clean cut, so I was able to install the new converters myself without much difficulty at all.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:57 AM   #3

When speaking with the insurance, they asked if there was one or two converters that were stolen. Is there more than one on the Dolphin?
Old 07-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, there are two if you have a Workhorse chassis.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:57 PM   #5

Thanks! I do have the Workhorse W22 Chassis. I spoke with the insurance adjuster today and I asked about installing a deterrent if they would consider paying for it. He asked me to submit what deterrent I was considering. This is the one I sent him. CatStrap w/o Alarm for gas or hybrid vehicles - 7' Long
Hopefully, they will pay for this so that it will be either impossible or very very difficult if someone else decides to steal them again.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:54 PM   #6

I just received a call from the insurance company (Auto-Owners). They have agreed to pay for only 25% of the cost. They say they depreciate based on the age of the vehicle. Did you have anything like this with your insurance carrier? Who are you insured with?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineeo View Post
I just received a call from the insurance company (Auto-Owners). They have agreed to pay for only 25% of the cost. They say they depreciate based on the age of the vehicle. Did you have anything like this with your insurance carrier? Who are you insured with?
The in-house expert wants to know if Auto-Owners coverage was 25% of the cost of a better known company.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
This is strange since this should be covered under your comprehensive. I've never had a catalytic converter stolen but I've had several windshields replaced in both automobiles and now my motorhome under comprehensive coverage (motorhome is insured by Progressive). They've always been covered in full, I fail to see why a catalytic converter should be any different. I think you're getting jerked around unless there's limiting language in the fine print of your insurance policy.

From what I've seen the useful life of a catalytic converter is at least 100k miles:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under...erter-last.htm

If you passed your smog inspection, that should indicate that it was fully functional regardless of its age. In any case, mileage is a better indicator than age.

My prediction is that we're going to see insurance companies excluding catalytic converters from their basic comprehensive coverage in lieu of special riders specific to catalytic converters.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #9

You live in AZ and I don't believe there is an O2 sensor after the cat.
Just go with non California compliant after market cats.
Can't believe your insurance won't cover all but your deductable (comprehensive).
Old 08-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #10

OP must have a 1500 dollar deductible, or similar, with simple math arriving at the 25% stated by the OP.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:30 AM   #11

I have called Auto-Owners because there is nothing in the policy specifying anything regarding betterment or depreciation except for tires, brakes, etc. I have full coverage with a $500 deductible. Based on their betterment claim, they are only going to pay $1000 of the $3800 estimate.

I found this article that should be sent to anyone that might come across the same situation.

https://insuranceclaimhero.com/insur...nuclear-option

I am waiting to hear back from them regarding their decision. I requested that they removed the betterment all together. I am anxious to see what they decide. If they don't remove it, I will follow the instructions in the article and proceed in that manner. Either way, I will be looking for a new insurance carrier.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:48 AM   #12

Quote:
I have called Auto-Owners because there is nothing in the policy specifying anything regarding betterment or depreciation except for tires, brakes, etc. I have full coverage with a $500 deductible. Based on their betterment claim, they are only going to pay $1000 of the $3800 estimate.

I found this article that should be sent to anyone that might come across the same situation.

https://insuranceclaimhero.com/insur...nuclear-option

I am waiting to hear back from them regarding their decision. I requested that they removed the betterment all together. I am anxious to see what they decide. If they don't remove it, I will follow the instructions in the article and proceed in that manner. Either way, I will be looking for a new insurance carrier.
Are there used cats available for $1000 for your vehicle? Of course installation costs need to be factored in. Its one thing for cheap insurance to spec used parts for older vehicles such as fenders and doors. Perhaps your problem is that you just have a lousy policy.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #13

If your carrier is using "like kind" as the basis for their paltry payout on your claim ask them to prove viability for EPA requirements for the used parts they are allowing for.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:32 AM   #14

My insurance company (National General) wrote me a check for the full Workhorse list price of the converters, plus installation labor, another $200-250 as I recall. I went with converters that were WAY cheaper and did the installation myself.

Tags
cat, converter, dolphin, w22, workhorse