Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2002 National 6355

Our 2002 National Dolphin 6355 has a window leak on both front driver and passenger side windows. I guess I need to take them out and see what the problem is but I dont see how they come out. On the inside there is a 1 1/4" rubber trim strip. I dont see screws holding the window in. Do I need to remove this rubber strip and if so, Im concerned I wont be able to replace it with a new rubber strip.. Where can I order these rubber window strips before I take out the window? I believe the leak is between the two metal inside and outside pieces where they join together.
Home Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

There should be screws running around the perimeter of the window frame that clamps the inner and outer frame of the window together. You'll need some butyl tape to reseal them.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
National used a different style of windows back in the earlier 2000's there are no screws. They are pressure fit to the opening with an interior rubber flange. You have to take the rubber partially out of the track and push the window out. Then after your repair and new butyl on the frame, use a wheeled tool for redoing the rubber seal on screen doors to re seat the rubber flange into the window frame, then you have to use a string wrapped around inside the rubber and pull the string around the flange to seat it against the inside wall while someone pushes from the outside.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I made a similar repair to yours on my last 2000 Tropi-cal . I was able to rebuild the interior wall with new luan board leaving the windows in place and sliding the new board in behind the rubber flange, only drawback is you may need to have a transition in the middle of the wall below the window, then I re-sealed the outer window frame with white pro-flex, and that took care of my issues...it wasn't 100% the proper method but it worked just fine and looked good on the inside.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:32 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for your response. It appears that the frame is one piece. The leak I see is coming in from the sliding window at the bottom. I removed the rubber/felt seal and there are only two small holes for rain water to leak back outside. If they get plugged up or excessive water loads up the track, then it comes in over the track and comes down the interior wall. I plan on drilling out these holes and adding a few more. They are kind of hard to see or get to but it can be done. Rest assured I will come up with something. Thanks everyone, have a great summer. Here in Bryson City, NC, gas is $2.99.9 for regular.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #6

Removing Window with no screws

We have the same problem with our 2000 Caribbean...the wall is rotted underneath the window. We pulled the window out and the rubber strip came out in 2 pieces. Any suggestions on where to buy a new one?
Oopsydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ive tried many times trying to find a video or information on how to remove the window with no results. Yes, the rubber strip inside the window seems to hold the window in place, of course the sealant helps. I cant find any where to purchase the rubber strip. I didnt remove my windows because of this. I removed the paneling and install a product from Home Depot, an insulation board with a pattern on one side. This worked great until it leaked again and now I have to replace it again. But first I drilling more holes for water to run out. then I will replace the wall covering.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Builder View Post
Ive tried many times trying to find a video or information on how to remove the window with no results. Yes, the rubber strip inside the window seems to hold the window in place, of course the sealant helps. I cant find any where to purchase the rubber strip. I didnt remove my windows because of this. I removed the paneling and install a product from Home Depot, an insulation board with a pattern on one side. This worked great until it leaked again and now I have to replace it again. But first I drilling more holes for water to run out. then I will replace the wall covering.
The Rubber strip can be re used if it not damaged too badly, it can be forced back into its track using a tool that you would use to press the piping into a screen door track.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I cleaned the old sealant from the outside window to fiberglass joint, taped it all off, and used Sika 1A caulk across the top and down the sides. I didn't caulk across the bottom. It has been 4 years with no leaks and the caulk looks like I did it yesterday.
I always make sure the weep holes on the bottom of the frame are clear also.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #10

Removing Window with no screws

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately we are finding much more damage than we anticipated. Discouraging how the previous owner was able to hide the damage. I will continue to use this forum for information regarding our 2000 Caribbean. For example...can't seem to locate the dipstick to check the oil. In the manual it says it should be located above the radiator. We see the transmission fluid dipstick and where to add the oil, but not the oil dipstick. Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oopsydaisy View Post
Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately we are finding much more damage than we anticipated. Discouraging how the previous owner was able to hide the damage. I will continue to use this forum for information regarding our 2000 Caribbean. For example...can't seem to locate the dipstick to check the oil. In the manual it says it should be located above the radiator. We see the transmission fluid dipstick and where to add the oil, but not the oil dipstick. Any suggestions?
It should be right above the oil fill on the far right passenger side looking at it from the rear. Right below the surge tank.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #12

2000 Caribbean

Thewellz, yep...we agree that's where it should be. If I can figure out how to upload a picture, I can show you there is nothing there...nothing
Old 06-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #13

My 1998 Trop-I-Cal had a severed window leak and I actually had mushrooms growing in the carpet under the window. Mine has screws all around the windows so I had a trailer repairman resell the windows and put marine grade plywood as a a new floor. He used a a lot of caulk as he reinstalled the windows. Has held up for the last 4 years. He also ordered some kind of seal kit to assist in sealing the windows. Take your unit to a Chevy dealer for an oil change and watch where the mechanics find the dipstick.
SwiftBoat Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oopsydaisy View Post
Thewellz, yep...we agree that's where it should be. If I can figure out how to upload a picture, I can show you there is nothing there...nothing
You'll probably have to lift up the bed or floor access to find it, sure seems odd though, it could be possible the tube has been removed or broken or possibly is pushed behind the dust sheild that surrounds the radiator. That's all the help I can offer...hope you find it!

Tags
national