Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

2002 Sea Breeze shower drain leak

New to me rig that I've noticed has a slight leak in the shower. I have verified no cracks in the pan, the faucet area is sealed so looks like it's the drain/drain pipe. Most of the shower water goes into the holding tank but a bit leaks into the basement compartments below the pan. I've checked the pipes I can see from the basement compartments and water appears to be coming from above the rig's plywood floor. Questions I have are:
1. Is the drain fitting screwed or glued into the drain pipe?
2. If i unscrew the drain fitting is it 'easy' to reattach it to the drain pipe?
3. Is it possible I simply need to replace the plumbers putty/caulk around the drain fitting?
Any comments or past repair stories are really appreciated.
Michael
curlyguy966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I had a similar problem on my 2001 Dolphin. It was just the fittings on the trap that had come loose. I was able to tighten them and it fixed my problem. I accessed the trap fittings from an access panel on the opposite side of the wall the shower is mounted to. The access panel was behind the bedroom sliding door and I just had to take 4 screws out to get access.

Good luck
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beside the access panel in the wall my 99 Dolphin has a cover for the trap that can be removed. It is in the rear wheel well, look up and you should see it.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. No access panel inside the rig BUT sure enough there IS one on the driver side rear wheel well. Even has a 'bulge' to it accommodating the "p" trap. Going to delve into it tomorrow. will post result as they occur.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you look behind the sliding door for the bedroom?
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also had a leak that was hard to find. Had the same thing u had. Found that I had a leak at the back of the valves that control the incoming water. Check that.
It looked like it was coming from the drain but it was leaking behind the faucet and running down the side of the shower. As I remember, I had to replace the faucet. Hope that helps
Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #7

Revised shower leak update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyguy966 View Post
New to me rig that I've noticed has a slight leak in the shower. I have verified no cracks in the pan, the faucet area is sealed so looks like it's the drain/drain pipe. Most of the shower water goes into the holding tank but a bit leaks into the basement compartments below the pan. I've checked the pipes I can see from the basement compartments and water appears to be coming from above the rig's plywood floor. Questions I have are:
1. Is the drain fitting screwed or glued into the drain pipe?
2. If i unscrew the drain fitting is it 'easy' to reattach it to the drain pipe?
3. Is it possible I simply need to replace the plumbers putty/caulk around the drain fitting?
Any comments or past repair stories are really appreciated.
Michael
Appreciate all the suggestions regarding my shower leak. I did eliminate the areas that y'all had suggested might be the culprit. Finally I filled the shower pan with about 1" of water, let it drain and noticed dripping water into the basement compartment under the kitchen area. Cleared the compartment, crawled INTO the compartment (I'm 6'4" 225lbs) looked up through a small hole in the floor where the drain pipe angles down to make it's way to the grey tank and VIOLA !!! Busted 'Y' fitting. Turns out the broken fitting is sitting at floor level where the shower drain and vent pipe converge into the drain pipe to the grey tank. Looks like I'm going to have to seriously enlarge that hole, figure out a way to cut off the vent, shower drain and grey tank pipes from the broken 'Y', install couplers, add new pipe sections and reinstall the new 'Y'. Sounds like a LOT of fun doesn't it. No idea how the fitting broke but it is severed right in the middle of the 'Y'. Things that make ya go Hmmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	224653  
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9999 View Post
I had a similar problem on my 2001 Dolphin. It was just the fittings on the trap that had come loose. I was able to tighten them and it fixed my problem. I accessed the trap fittings from an access panel on the opposite side of the wall the shower is mounted to. The access panel was behind the bedroom sliding door and I just had to take 4 screws out to get access.

Good luck
No access panels ANYWHERE in the coach for the shower pan. See my update for further developments.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I also had a leak that was hard to find. Had the same thing u had. Found that I had a leak at the back of the valves that control the incoming water. Check that.
It looked like it was coming from the drain but it was leaking behind the faucet and running down the side of the shower. As I remember, I had to replace the faucet. Hope that helps
Checked that because i DID upgrade the faucet there recently but alas 'no aqua'. Updated my post for new developments.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Beside the access panel in the wall my 99 Dolphin has a cover for the trap that can be removed. It is in the rear wheel well, look up and you should see it.
Good tip ! But alas tested the area for leaks and 'no aqua'. Updated my post with my latest developments.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9999 View Post

Good luck
Thanks for the idea but unfortunately my problem is much more difficult. Found the problem and updated my post with the info.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't know if you can get to it and use this tape, but I carry it with me all the time. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-R...cue+tape&psc=1
Old 01-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #13

Finally done !!!

OK, so it's been a while but Holiday time took priority.
Finally got the leak fixed. Bathroom is right next to the kitchen/living room slideout SO had to remove the inner and outer kitchen sink cabinet skin to expose the bathroom wall. CAREFULLY rotozipped a hole in the wall to expose the broken fitting. Rotozipped and used a special mini saw blade for cutting ABS pipe from the inside to remove the fitting. Bought new 1 1/4" pipe/fittings which I found are ONLY available at RV parts store (at least here in PHOENIX), glued everything back together. No leaks !!! So put a small access panel over the hole in the wall reattached the cabinet skins and all is good.
Thanks again to everyone who offered their insight and repair ideas !!!
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181216_163108.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	231174   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_123855.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	231175