Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2002 Tradewinds headlights

Just bought a 2002 national Tradewinds. I have noticed the headlights are a little weak. So upon checking them out I noticed this: with the ignition switch off, and I pull on the headlights the two outermost ones comes on. Pull the dimmer switch and nothing happens just clicks. Turn on the ignition switch, the outer ones on, pull the dimmer switch, and it switches to the inter ones, and the high beam indicator on the dash lights up, but the outer ones go completely off, don't sound right. Shouldn't the outer ones go to high beams as well? Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing the headlight circuit? John
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blazeman:

It's the same on my 1999 Tradewinds, the low beam lamps go off when the high beam lamps come on. Works that way with the ignition on or off. If you've got a Freightliner chassis it's probably wired the same.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Yes, it a Freightliner chassis, just seems strange that the high beams on the outside set are not used at all. And actually the lamp actually goes dark on high beams. And the high beam filament is never used, even though it wired. I also noticed that all 4 bulbs are duel filament, and the wiring supports that. ( 3 wires to each ). Thanks for responding to my question, John
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
My 99 was the same. I added wires at the headlights and now all four come on in High Beam. I had to readjust the aim after the mod. I didn't have to change the fuse, it's plenty heavy enough to protect the higher load without blowing.

Here are the details.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=AE67FF...67FFF392766057

Dick
Old 04-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
My 99 was the same. I added wires at the headlights and now all four come on in High Beam. I had to readjust the aim after the mod. I didn't have to change the fuse, it's plenty heavy enough to protect the higher load without blowing.

Here are the details.

Dick
Thanks, it certainly good to know its a factory design. Thanks, again for the detail of the fix. As I stated earlier the lights aren't that bright, I'm sure this will resolve the issue. I'm wondering, since both outside lights have a wire already connected to the high beams if a jumper at the relays in the power compartment could be possible. Do you have a factory wiring schematic showing this detail? Or know where to find one. John
Old 04-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Hi
Here is a link to all the documents for my Tradewinds. Look in the "Freightliner Chassis Doc's" folder for schematic's.

If I remember right the pigtails at the headlamps socket are capped an stowed about 6 inches back from the socket. I chose to do it as close as possible to the lamp to make sure the rather large current draw was over a short piece of 10 AWG wire.
Take a look at the schematics to see if your idea is better, I suspect you'll need to complete the circuit at the sockets.
I did it because the lights were really weak as well. This isn't a perfect fix but after the adjustments they were a lot better.

Good Luck
Dick
Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Hi
Here is a link to all the documents for my Tradewinds. Look in the "Freightliner Chassis Doc's" folder for schematic's.

If I remember right the pigtails at the headlamps socket are capped an stowed about 6 inches back from the socket. I chose to do it as close as possible to the lamp to make sure the rather large current draw was over a short piece of 10 AWG wire.
Take a look at the schematics to see if your idea is better, I suspect you'll need to complete the circuit at the sockets.
I did it because the lights were really weak as well. This isn't a perfect fix but after the adjustments they were a lot better.

Good Luck
Dick

Actually, looking at the Freightliner schematic, the way you wired your vehicle is exactly what was supposed to be done at the factory. So I'm going with your way. Thanks, John
Old 05-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
OK, changed wiring, and now the head lights work like they should. However, after about 5 minutes on high beam they start to flash erratically,(no given sequence ). go to low beam everything's ok. Seems something may be heating up? bad connection?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
It could be you used too light gauge wire. I used AWG 10 and soldered the connections.

Check your light switch for heat. You have to reach up and behind the dash to touch it. But if it's really hot you may be able to feel it on the shaft.

Dick
Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #10

Lights are flashing because you are drawing more current than the circuit breaker is designed for. The breaker is tripping and then auto resetting.

After the circuit breaker opens the circuit, the lights go out, current drops to zero, the circuit breaker cools off and automatically resets, starts current flow to lights again until the high current trips the circuit breaker again and again.

Mike
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxw1 View Post
Lights are flashing because you are drawing more current than the circuit breaker is designed for. The breaker is tripping and then auto resetting.

After the circuit breaker opens the circuit, the lights go out, current drops to zero, the circuit breaker cools off and automatically resets, starts current flow to lights again until the high current trips the circuit breaker again and again.

Mike
I've looked for this circuit breaker to replace it. But at this time I have not located it. Any suggestions. I have decided to leave it wired for the outside brights, as it takes a few minutes to act up on the high beams. Low beams are no problem. Thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeman View Post
I've looked for this circuit breaker to replace it. But at this time I have not located it. Any suggestions. I have decided to leave it wired for the outside brights, as it takes a few minutes to act up on the high beams. Low beams are no problem. Thanks
The circuit breaker is part of the headlight switch. I had to replace mine because my headlights would do the same on low beams. The new switch is not wired the same, so I had to build an interface cable. Be glad you can at least have some headlights....
2017 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:09 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind98 View Post
The circuit breaker is part of the headlight switch. I had to replace mine because my headlights would do the same on low beams. The new switch is not wired the same, so I had to build an interface cable. Be glad you can at least have some headlights....
I replaced the headlight switch, the rheostat for the dash lights was bad, so it has a new switch. I have good low beams now that I rewired the outer beams. I just cannot leave the hi beams on for more than say around 5 minutes. or they will start to flash erratically. If I switch back to the lows its ok again, so I feel relatively safe that I wont be in the dark. I guess I should be happy as you stated. Thanks for the input, John
Old 07-10-2016, 03:55 AM   #14

This problem came up a while back. There seems to be a 15 and a 20 amp rated headlight switch made.

If I recall, Summit racing may have had the higher rated switch.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights