RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2003 Dolphin Lx w/electrical problems (Help)

Here we are at a campsite and we are having major electrical issues. I'm plugged into 50A, but all my electrical outlets and microwave are not working. Last night, we lost our a/c units! Not sure where to start looking? I've read that once you plug into ac, it by passes the inverter/charger? Any help on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hedoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
First thing is check all 110V breakers. Both at the post where you plugged in and in the box inside the MH. Since everything is out sounds like the breaker on the post. Also check the GFI outlets in Bath, kitchen, etc. That wouldn't affect the AC but would affect other outlets.

mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with mike, check all those things and report back.

As far as inverter/charger, generally speaking and not knowing your system, when you plug into AC, that allows the charger portion to begin charging batteries. With no AC, the inverter will invert 12v to 120v and the batteries will not be charged.

Your inverter is only powering a limited number of AC outlets and most likely those are always powered with inverted power. No problem with AC present as the batteries are being charged. When there is no AC, you will soon run out of battery power, depending on use and size of the battery bank.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
What happens when you operate the generator?
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
First, Thanks for your help. Here is the list- Breakers are good. GFI's good (3). lighting works. HWH works. Pump works. Fridge works on ac. I have a battery disconnect at the entrance. If the light is on, the above items work. If off, nothing works. Even though i'm plugged to shore? Nothing changes with generator running?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Update. I went out and looked at the inverter/charger (Freedom). All lights were off. I held the invert button in, and everything works? But i'm still plugged into shore? How do I know what i'm running off of?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're disconnecting the house batteries, it turns off the power to the thermostat which controls the A/C. Leave the 'salesman switch' (battery disconnect) on when hooked to shore power or actually anytime unless in storage.

Check the level of charge in your house batteries, sounds like they are flat. With a multimeter you can see if charger is working. On batteries alone, there should be about 12.6 volts. When converter/charger is working, voltage should be over 13.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoyle View Post
First, Thanks for your help. Here is the list- Breakers are good. GFI's good (3). lighting works. HWH works. Pump works. Fridge works on ac. I have a battery disconnect at the entrance. If the light is on, the above items work. If off, nothing works. Even though i'm plugged to shore? Nothing changes with generator running?
When the battery disconnect is OFF (no light), that means ALL 12v power is taken away from the coach. This means all lights, pumps and the 12v operating systems. You need 12v to run the fridge on gas and to operate the thermostat for heat and AC. As recommended, leave the battery disconnect ON unless you are NOT using the coach.

If the battery disconnect is OFF and you are plugged into shore, this is all you're going to have working.... Microwave, Fridge if set to AC and the outlets powered by shore.

The generator is just a direct substitute for shore power.

Quote:
Update. I went out and looked at the inverter/charger (Freedom). All lights were off. I held the invert button in, and everything works? But i'm still plugged into shore? How do I know what i'm running off of?
With the inverter and battery disconnect ON (no shore), the 120v outlets powered by the inverter will work, if the batteries are charged. These would be the ones up front for the entertainment center and perhaps a few others. To find out which ones those are, just test them without shore, or genny running.

Under shore power, you would want the inverter/charger ON to charge the batteries. What happens now is, all 120v outlets and appliances will work in the coach. As long as the inverter is ON, all those 120v outlets it powers will also work.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ok, I think I know a little bit more. My inverter switch will not stay on? Not sure why. So this system is draining my batteries, which is why my outlets dont work. Correct?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Ok, I think I know a little bit more. My inverter switch will not stay on? Not sure why. So this system is draining my batteries, which is why my outlets dont work. Correct?
Perhaps, it's according to how the outlets are wired. Inverter shouldn't drain batteries if it won't stay on, unless the inverter is fried. Google the model of Freedom inverter charger you have to find out more about how it operates and troubleshooting guide (perhaps)
UNPLUG SHORE POWER. You're going to need a multitester and a piece long wire to test, or you could plug an extension cord in and string it out to the inverter to test. With a wire inserted in the smaller rectangular opening in the outlet, (The HOT side) connect multitester between wire and the hot terminal of the inverter. If that outlet is wired to the inverter, their should be continuity. This will verify that the inoperable outlet is on the inverter circuit.

Also test charge level of house batteries. If they are low, (below 10 v) many things they control might not work. If you don't have a portable battery charger to bring them up, (assuming inverter charger is not working) you can start the main engine and see if voltage comes up on batteries, showing charging.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
This same situation occured for me.

First, none of the inside main breakers or non of the pin breakers were off. I found that one (or more) outside on the inverter pannel were flipped off. I reset them and the power came back on. You said that you pushed the reset button on the inverter, but did not indicate if there were other breakers on the inverter pannel, which there are on mine. Maybe one of those are flipped and you need to reset them before resetting the inverter.

Also, I have had this happen when I was using the generator. Again, none of the breakers on the inside of the coach were flipped, but one inside the generator was. On my generator, you have to remove the generator pannel to see the breaker switches there, some generators have the breaker switches on the side, which makes it hard to see unless you look for them. I only mention this as a FYI for future note.

Regardless, I hope you get the issue resolved.

Ted.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the xantrex inverter, you will see a panel on the bottom between the input and output wires with two small screws in it. remove the panel and check inside. The wire connections are all done with wire nuts and on our 04 National the wire nuts had vibrated loose and I lost AC power to most of the coach. Caution do not do this while you are plugged into shore power. When I repaired mine I opted to solder all the connections.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin