Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #1

2003 NT 7395 in extreme cold weather

I am in the process of buying a home in Wisconsin and am scheduled to close between February 14th and 25th. I will need to take possession between those dates. Options of flying up are not possible as I can not leave my MH in the south.

The MH needs to be winterized to -22F. Hopefully it will be warmer then however 0F would still require the same precautions. What do I need to do to make a dash up and then park it? I’m wanting information on water and fuel and anything else I may need to know. It will be parked without shore power however I might be able to run a long 15 amp extension to it.

Road conditions will present their own problems but I’m experienced with winter driving conditions. Most likely I’ll face bare frozen pavement. I will delay driving in heavy snow. I will be driving north from Texas.

Thanks.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Completely winterize if before you hit freezing weather. Drain all water, water heater, remove all food, put RV antifreeze in the water lines, ice maker (if equipped), run antifreeze to shower and toilet valves, put antifreeze in sink and shower drains, drain freshwater tank, drain waste tanks, and on arrival at your destination fill fuel tank and add a fuel stabilizer and conditioner. On the way up, once it is winterized, stay at motels for your stops....do not use your own facilities since they are winterized. You do want relatively fresh oil in the RV and generator when you park it.

Once you have arrived and parked the RV, remove the batteries, and get them into a warmer place and put on a trickle charger. DO not bother to start and operate the RV until you are ready to take it for a minimum of a 30-minute road trip.

I pity folks that have to live in such a climate. We lived for almost two years a bit north of Toronto and we are back in south Texas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Completely winterize if before you hit freezing weather. Drain all water, water heater, remove all food, put RV antifreeze in the water lines, ice maker (if equipped), run antifreeze to shower and toilet valves, put antifreeze in sink and shower drains, drain freshwater tank, drain waste tanks, and on arrival at your destination fill fuel tank and add a fuel stabilizer and conditioner. On the way up, once it is winterized, stay at motels for your stops....do not use your own facilities since they are winterized. You do want relatively fresh oil in the RV and generator when you park it.

Once you have arrived and parked the RV, remove the batteries, and get them into a warmer place and put on a trickle charger. DO not bother to start and operate the RV until you are ready to take it for a minimum of a 30-minute road trip.

I pity folks that have to live in such a climate. We lived for almost two years a bit north of Toronto and we are back in south Texas.

Ken
Thanks Ken, how much antifreeze should I expect to need? I think I can clear all the lines by running antifreeze through them. Iíll have to remember the outside shower and drinking water lines.

Iíll most likely still sleep in it and not sleep in a motel. I just wonít be able to use anything water related. My guess is Iíll stay at RV parks most of the way until I reach the point where they are closed for the winter.

How important is it to remove the batteries? Once I get there Iíll need to switch to attending to the house plus I expect to be using the motor home after it warms up in two months.

What fuel additives will I need? Currently Iím using No 2 because that is all I can find in the south.

Living in such a cold environment is something I think I will enjoy. Iíve done lots of winter camping in tents and as a mountaineer in Seattle the top of Rainier has arctic conditions even in August.

I bought the property this time of year because the seller had a death in the family and her sister had a stroke. They need to move ASAP which gave me leverage to get a fantastic price.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:17 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
You can live in it just fine. The rear furnace should heat the wet bay and the Tradewinds is super insulated. if you shut down the furnace you will need to be winterized, just don't leave basement doors open and you should have no worries. when you fill your tank unhook the hose.
We have had ours for 5yrs and 35k miles. we live in Indiana and have used it in cold weather with no problems.
I am actually going to bring mine up to the house and load out today for a trip to Louisiana Tuesday morning. I will fill water tank tomorrow and turn the fridge and furnace on tomorrow. The night temps here are below 20 at night and around freezing in the day. It is actually snowing now. I will only run the rear furnace until we pull out to keep more heat in the wet bay. The insulation in ours is so good that the furnace doesn't run near as much as you would think. The floor under the basement is also 1" thick so that helps too.
Good luck, safe travels, and be glad you have a well built coach.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #5

I just winterized on the way back from Florida Jan13th,
Last night here in Pennsylvania we hit -22f
Gee Whiz, I gotta get back south.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
You can live in it just fine. The rear furnace should heat the wet bay and the Tradewinds is super insulated. if you shut down the furnace you will need to be winterized, just don't leave basement doors open and you should have no worries. when you fill your tank unhook the hose.
We have had ours for 5yrs and 35k miles. we live in Indiana and have used it in cold weather with no problems.
I am actually going to bring mine up to the house and load out today for a trip to Louisiana Tuesday morning. I will fill water tank tomorrow and turn the fridge and furnace on tomorrow. The night temps here are below 20 at night and around freezing in the day. It is actually snowing now. I will only run the rear furnace until we pull out to keep more heat in the wet bay. The insulation in ours is so good that the furnace doesn't run near as much as you would think. The floor under the basement is also 1" thick so that helps too.
Good luck, safe travels, and be glad you have a well built coach.
Thanks. I think Iíll winterize in the south and travel dry. I can still have gallons of water in jugs for drinking and making coffee. Iíll just not be able to use the toilet, sink and shower while traveling.

What should I do about the diesel? Iíll be driving it and then parking it in sun-zero weather for two months by which time lows should be above freezing.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I just winterized on the way back from Florida Jan13th,
Last night here in Pennsylvania we hit -22f
Gee Whiz, I gotta get back south.
I would prefer staying in the south till April but closing and having to take care of a house dictates I head north.

Next winter I might just winterize the S&B and head south. Or I might stay north and take advantage of the winter activities.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
For the diesel fuel, have it pretty full and add Power service or your choice of anti gel. The winterized fuel is pretty good but I have had it gell at-20 without having treatment in it. In those temps you will want to skirt the outside to keep the wind and some of the cold air out from under the coach. If it is going to sit for more than a month I add some Bio stugg from Power service. The Bio diesel can grow biological material and needs a different treatment [I learned this the hard way].
In those temps you will want something under your feet to insulate the floor while driving. The front floor gets cold with no engine up there providing heat.
I would also keep the block heater on in case you need to move for some reason. I have a North Dakota story on that one too.
You may want to put an incandescent trouble light in the basement and wet bays in those temps to add some heat to the bays and interior floor.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Winterize

if you have washer/dryer don't forget to winterize it. I didn't and paid the price. Broken water pipe.
Bummer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:05 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm in northern Wisconsin and will be heading for southern Texas the first of march! Looks like the same MH! Stations up here sell blended fuel in the winter. Be careful if buying in Ill or Iowa they will sell you start #2, either add some #1 or lots of additive if you are looking at sub zero temps. When I park mine in the fall 85 gal of #2 and 15 Gal #1 plus Howes additive. Never have a issue starting up in March and running South. Carry 5 quarts of 911 and filters just in case!

Water if it is above zero I will fill with water, if not I will run dry for a day and hopefully fill in Missouri. The duct for rear furnace goes through the water bay. I cut it and put a T's in the line with a butter fly valve so I can control how much heat goes down. Also have two 250 elect. heaters in bay also which I've never had to use. I've never ran below zero so far but so far above zero with nasty winds I haven't had any problems.

Batteries I leave in and charge for a day about twice a winter!

Welcome to Wisconsin
Old 01-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
I'm in northern Wisconsin and will be heading for southern Texas the first of march! Looks like the same MH! Stations up here sell blended fuel in the winter. Be careful if buying in Ill or Iowa they will sell you start #2, either add some #1 or lots of additive if you are looking at sub zero temps. When I park mine in the fall 85 gal of #2 and 15 Gal #1 plus Howes additive. Never have a issue starting up in March and running South. Carry 5 quarts of 911 and filters just in case!

Water if it is above zero I will fill with water, if not I will run dry for a day and hopefully fill in Missouri. The duct for rear furnace goes through the water bay. I cut it and put a T's in the line with a butter fly valve so I can control how much heat goes down. Also have two 250 elect. heaters in bay also which I've never had to use. I've never ran below zero so far but so far above zero with nasty winds I haven't had any problems.

Batteries I leave in and charge for a day about twice a winter!

Welcome to Wisconsin
Thanks. This is really helpful.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:13 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
Thanks. This is really helpful.

Just don't come up here with straight southern fuel in your tanks! I have breakfast with local tow truck operator mornings when he's not out towing some southern trucker with jelled fuel tanks!

Tags
cold weather