Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

2004 Dolphin 5342 Bedroom slideout not level

When closed, the outside top right corner of the slideout is about 3/4" lower than the left. There is an inside leak on top of the slideout. What should I look for to repair under the bed, and how can I level the slide? Thanks!
mbroker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I had a similar problem about a year or so ago. The trim on the slideout was starting to contact the wall of the motorhome on the front lower corner when sliding. Yours maybe a totally different problem but this cured mine:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/bed...es-472300.html
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Adding a thin piece(s) of plywood to shim under the nylon blocks or rollers which can raise the side of the slide up that appears low. The cause may be rain water has leaked thru the slide's roof then down inside the wall into the slide's floor. Over time the wood sheeting inside the floor above the fiberglass sheet under the slide has gone "soft" as it starts to rot. The metal sheets will add strength to the slides floor. If rain water leaking caused the problem, find and fix this as soon as possible. Both my Dolphins, 2005 model 5342 and 2008 model 5335, had this exact problem with the bedroom slides which went on for years with out being noticed until the slide was noticed low on one side. Both had poor caulking on each inside corner of the slide's roof from the factory. This is difficult to inspect and access, it has to be checked with the slide in and using a mirror & light and viewing between the bedroom ceiling and slide's roof. All that was needed was a smear of Dicor in the right place to stop the leaking. Also, water normally doesn't get on the slide's roof under the topper awning, but in stormy windy weather it does.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
Adding a thin piece(s) of plywood to shim under the nylon blocks or rollers which can raise the side of the slide up that appears low. The cause may be rain water has leaked thru the slide's roof then down inside the wall into the slide's floor. Over time the wood sheeting inside the floor above the fiberglass sheet under the slide has gone "soft" as it starts to rot. The metal sheets will add strength to the slides floor. If rain water leaking caused the problem, find and fix this as soon as possible. Both my Dolphins, 2005 model 5342 and 2008 model 5335, had this exact problem with the bedroom slides which went on for years with out being noticed until the slide was noticed low on one side. Both had poor caulking on each inside corner of the slide's roof from the factory. This is difficult to inspect and access, it has to be checked with the slide in and using a mirror & light and viewing between the bedroom ceiling and slide's roof. All that was needed was a smear of Dicor in the right place to stop the leaking. Also, water normally doesn't get on the slide's roof under the topper awning, but in stormy windy weather it does.
This sounds like the problem I'm having. After rain (with slides closed) I've noticed a wet spot on the carpeting at the front corner of where the slide sits when retracted. Being in Arizona, it doesn't happen very often, but I obviously need to fix it before it does any damage. I'll check that inside corner caulking you mentioned. I was just in there looking around that tight space between the ceiling and slide roof two weeks ago and didn't notice anything unusual, but you've now given me some idea where to focus my attention.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:26 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Hi CamJam1. On our 5335, and maybe the 5342 as well, I was able to remove the fabric covered frame at the top to make it a bit easier to see the slide's top. Also a bright light and a small mirror helped. The problem on both RVs was the way the factory folded the rubber roofing material at the end corners of the roof facing inside the room. On the 2008 5335 model they did a terrible looking job with the folds with numerous winkles and poorly secured to the slides flange with staples. Once I could see the open spot in the rubber fold that was maybe only an inch or two long , I smeared Dicor roof caulking into and on the open spot with my finger. All of this was done by using a mirror and a good light and standing on the bed. I didn't put the slide fully out for a few days to allow the Dicor to set. I also found wet carpet below a corner of the slide which was the first thing the caught my attention. I never did open the slide floor up to replace the soft water damaged wood floor piece as the metal plates added so far has worked and strengthened the area. I think replacing the wood sheet will be a bigger job. The wood above the bottom fiberglass sheet of the slide's bottom got so soft that the nylon block's edge ripped the fiberglass sheet open. Inside, this wood panel was "mush". Eternabond RV roof tape may also be a solution but so far what I did has stopped the leak.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01163_resize.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	316948  
Old 02-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #6

Looked up there today. The inner seal at the top of the slide looks pretty good along its length, except at the corners where there's a pretty good gap between the horizontal and vertical pieces. Next time it rains I'll have a look and see if there's water getting in at that point. Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:03 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Those seals on mine where perfect. But if rain water blew in under the topper awning and caused pools of water on the slide's rubber roofing, it sometimes leaked inside the slide's roof thru the corner folds gaps of the rubber roofing material and down inside the wall(s) and/or inside the slides steel tubular frame and into the slide's floor and onto the bedroom floor. On my 2008, I also found rust and rust holes in portions of the slides bottom steel frame member visible under the bed. I sprayed "Rust Check" inside the square tubing the stop the rusting and of coarse it hasn't leaked water for a few years now after the slide roof was fixed and so hasn't got wet again. See photo of rusted frame member from inside the frame. Note, I replaced the nylon blocks with rollers. I'll try a take a photo of the spot that was leaking in a few days, It's -25 C. here now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00668a_resize.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	317083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4374_resize.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	317087  

Old 02-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #8

Great info, Greg, thank you! It raises a couple more questions for me:

Was yours leaking when the slide was in, or only when it was extended?

You were able to close the gap at the corners just with Dicor?

How did you access the wood screws for the facing from behind?
Old 02-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Hi Camjam, My leaking was when the slide was out. The smear of Dicor on the rubber roofing gap did stop my leaks on the 05 model 5342 and current 5335. This leak was occasional in that rain has to get in under the topper awning onto the slide's roof which was more often to happen in a bad storm. Then also the RV was perhaps not level in a way the slides roof leaned to the drivers side causing the pool of water on the slide roof to run to the flange and into the opening of roofing at the corner(s). Once inside the slide's walls it ran down inside. Some was trapped inside the slides floor and rotted the wood, being enclosed it could not dry easily. Some water leaked on the bedroom floor but this could also happen at the bottom corners where the main slides seals meet. On the current 2008 5335 I removed sides and top cosmetic trim to allow a little more access to the top of the slide and backside of the flange.(wood screws behind the flange. I hope this makes sense & the poor quality photo helps. I can's say if your RV has this problem but I found it interesting that both ours did. I forgot I put a couple of pieces of white duct tape over the area, as you can see they serve no purpose and appear to be starting to come off. The previous owner used the 2008 5335 in Florida for a number of winters where daily afternoon heavy showers can occur. The water damage had a head start before we purchased the RV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide roof ac_resize.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	693.4 KB
ID:	317259  
Old 02-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #10

Greg, so this latest photo is the INNER flange, behind the fabric/wood trim? I guess then that the photo was taken from the outside looking in through the gap with the outer seal removed? I stuck my hand up there today and could feel where the slide roof rubber attaches to the flange and I wondered if those corners could be the problem.

I think mine leaks when the slide is in, but either way I suppose if the water gets on the slide roof it could leak if that rubber on the roof is not properly sealed at the flange corners.

I'll probably have to wait until the next rain storm and stick my hand back up there to see if the roof of the slide is getting wet when the slide is in.

I lifted up the small compartment under the bed-- the one under the mattress with the piano hinge lid (against the outer wall). The floor of the slide in there is particle board and I didn't see any signs of water there. I couldn't see how to access the rusting metal frame you show in an earlier photo.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:49 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Hi Camjam, The photo was taken today holding my smart phone in selfie mode standing on the bed and reaching up from the side into the space above the slide roof and ceiling. Inspect with a flashlight and mirror if you can, though you may not have leak problem as I did.
The wood slide floor panel you can see is the inside panel, below that is an inch of foam insulation then another sheet of wood that can't be seen(that was wet & rotting on mine) and under that the white fiberglass sheet you see when you look up under the slide when it's out. My upper wood sheet also showed no sign of getting wet or damaged, but the 1" square steel frame is visible on my model 5335 & shows rust with rust holes in places from water getting trapped inside it. After looking at a couple of photos of our previous 5342 under the bed it appears 1" square steel frame is not as visible. The bedroom slides on the 5342 & 5335 are very different. Good luck finding your issue, I agree it maybe easier to wait for a time when it leaks. When we had our 5342. it only leaked once with the slide in and that was driving in a heavy rain storm with a strong crosswind on the passenger side. We later saw the carpet was wet on one side of the slide but couldn't see how it got there. The water damage on our previous 05 model was much less than our current 5335.

Tags
dolphin, slide, slideout