Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Question 2004 Dolphin Shower Skylight leak

Like other 2004 Dolphin owners, I too have a leak at the shower skylight. I have owned this unit for 2 years and note previous attempts to stop the leak and think the skylight may have been changed out. My skylight has an inner and outer lens separated with a gasket. To date, I have not found any similiar units on the internet. The top lens flange is vertical and is attached with screws, 3 on the long side and 2 on the other. I also have some damaged wood, especially in the left front corner. I have started removing all caulk and sealant and top lens screws. I plan to remove the entire unit but would like more insight and help from others that have already faced this issue of repairing the wood framing and the reinstallation of this skylight or some other acceptable replacement. Thanks in advance for the help.

Frank Miller
fjmiller275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have owned a 2005 Dolphin for 9 years and have not heard of the problem you are experiencing. If you do not have a facility that you use for repairs, you might try giving the following individual a call. Another poster from the Nat'l Forum gave me the info, stating the gentleman used to work for National. I have not had to call him myself, but he may be able to give you some advice.

His name is Rick Baxter. He is the service advisor at Mike Thompson RV in Colton, Ca. Ph# 909-580-3048. Maybe he can help with some of your National specific questions since he used to work for National.

Good luck with your repairs, hope this helps.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several years ago my skylight was leaking. Yes, go on the roof and remove the flange that attaches to the roof. I think you'll find that National did not put any sealant between the flange and the roof as was the case on my motorhome. Also, the sealant over the screws on the flange showed signs of cracking. I put sealant under the flange and resealed everything after re-attaching everything. Never have had a leak since then. Use the Dicor self-leveling sealant.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #4

shower skylite

I just replaced mine in August----haven't had any more leaks.

I think what you're describing is what they call a Curb Mount Skylite.

you can order it directly from FOX LITE, INC. in Fairborn, Oh. they have other styles & sizes, clear and smoke colors. received mine 1 day after i e-mailed them. skylite & shipping less than $100.

talk to Mark Hopkins & he'll fix you up. they did supply National for a number of years.

mark@foxlite.com

I didn't have any wood damage so can't help you there
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

My RV is checked and caulked yearly but I have a small leak that enters through the ceiling light in front of the refrigerator. That light has a black wire that comes through the plywood to join with the other wires. The water pools in the light, then drips. This leak was with with no rain just a heavy condensation nights on our last trip to Florida. No ceiling damage yet, going to check out the Skylight....
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
My RV is checked and caulked yearly but I have a small leak that enters through the ceiling light in front of the refrigerator. That light has a black wire that comes through the plywood to join with the other wires. The water pools in the light, then drips. This leak was with with no rain just a heavy condensation nights on our last trip to Florida. No ceiling damage yet, going to check out the Skylight....
Do you have the A/C in the basement or on the roof?

Bruce
Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Do you have the A/C in the basement or on the roof?

Bruce
The HVAC is in the basement.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
The HVAC is in the basement.
Thanks, that is one less thing to worry about leaking then.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Lit

National RV Owners Club
A source for the skylight; J. Freeman, Inc. (617) 282-1150
www.jfreeman.com/skylights.html
They have a Curb-Mounted Double Dome (need curb mount not flat flange), model CD16X24. This fits a Curb OD of 17.5" X 25.5" and there is a tolerance of 1/2" it fit my measurement of 18" X 26". The cost is only $57.68 plus shipping. I had purchased in 2013.

Someone posted that the National skylight was MFG by www.foxlite.com so I called them to confirm. They still make the double pane rectangle skylight that everyone has on their National RV. Part number is CDE1624 the cost is $69.90
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Shower Skylite Leaking

Thank you so much for your post.
We evidently have a similar issue going on.
I am having an rv tech I know come over and look at it
I am hoping he can find and fix the problem WITHOUT getting into a lot of additional work. Hopefully we caught it in time.
Thanks to everyone for there informative post on IRV2
Sincerely,
Tim Oliver
carpetmantim@aol.com
timcoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #11

Thanks to all who have posted info and suggestions on my skylight leak. I have confirmed the Fox Lite provided the original skylight to National but not furnish the curb, curb flashing or the 2 piece garnish trim under the skylight.

I am in the process of taking my my investigation a little further and plan to remove the skylight and upper piece of garnish so I can take a look at the curb, flashing and trim around the curb on top of the RV and to inspect the top of the wood blocking below the roof. I will then be able to determine how the curb was installed, anchored and flashed and can inspect and investigate the damage to the wood rough opening frame under the roof.

Once I determine the condition of the curb and framed opening under the rood, I suspect that since the wood frame under the roof was only 3/4" wide (already verified by removing the garnish from inside the RV) that fasteners used from the top side may not have penetrated any wood for a sound and sturdy attachment and a lasting sealed assembly. If I find the wood frame should have been wider, I am thinking I need to remove a 3/4" high x 1.5" wide strip of styroform insulation just under the roof deck and cut off the top 3/4" of existing wood frame. This should provide a space 3/4" high x 2 1/4" wide that will flush with the existing rough opening and will be wide enough for all above roof fasteners to penetrate for a solid connection that should last long term.

That is the progress to date... any other thoughts and suggestions that you might have that will point me to my the best way to handle the investigation and reconstruction will be greatly appreciated. Please point out in errors in my thinking or proposed action. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #12

Forgot to say that I will install a 3/4" thick x 2 1/4" wide piece of plywood into the slot I make by cutting off the top of the wood frame and cutting a slot into the styrofoam. Hope this makes my post clearer. Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #13

Update... have removed the skylight and the fantastic fan units from the top of the roof. After removing years of built up dicor self leveling sealant from each was able to lift them both off. I expected to find a curb under the skylight and I did but was surprised it was a one piece plastic molded/formed piece. As expected, there was no sealant or buytl tape under the flange of the curb that was fastened with screws to fiberglass roof with only 8 screws. My leak occurred because water was able to come under the flange and run down the side of the wood framed opening. I started removing the rotten frame that ran about 8 inches from the left side of the RV and about 6 inches of the left side starting at the front corner. The plywood backing to the interior fabric was rotten at least 3 to 9 inches back and I also had rotten plywood at the top of the styrofoam insulation just under the fiberglass roof. I have cut the styrofoam back and chisled and raked the rotted plywood. I can cut plywood shapes to replace most of the rotten plywood and will glue them to the styrofoam. I will replace the wood frame but it only serves to attach the interior plastic garnish since I have found that the screws on skyligjht frame are 2 1/8" away from the rough opening and the 3/4" thick frame is not part of making a securely fastened assembly. This is the main reason the curb get loose, especially if water gets under the curb frame and rots the plywood/luan roof deck.
I also will add at least 8 more screws to the original 8 used to fasten the curb.

On the fantastic vent, I will go back with a 2x4" wood frame and cut back the styrofoam to maintain the interior rough opening size. This small vent was attached with at least 14 screws but like the shower skylight, they did not penetrate the 3/4" frame since these screws were placed 7/8" from the rough opening which made them miss the wood by 1/8".

Missing butyl tape and inadequate wood blocking/backing for the frame were the root cause of my problem.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
2004 Dolphin Shower Skylight leak

Unfortunately, our skylights must have been installed by the same idiot at National who was too lazy to put caulking, or putty, under the curb. No way to see it until you remove the skylight and curb assembly. I suggest that any owners of 2003-2004 models check for proper mounting of the skylights, or like Frank and I, you will have to repair the rotten wood and stained ceiling. These are well built motorhomes, but it only takes one person not doing his job properly to cause problems.

Tags
dolphin, leak, shower