Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

2004 Dolphin Workhorse chassis W-22

I just bought this RV and love it but I have 2 problems. I charge up my new batteries with the external power. After a week the batteries go dead. Is there a way to disconnect the batteries when there not being used? The other problem is fuel is very slow. Any advise would be appreciated.
Morris
rudi0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with finding a solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
1. The batteries may be worn out and need to be changed. Take them to most auto parts stores and they will load test them. I bought our at Costco.

The slow fueling is most likely caused by a kink in the vent hose. Look under the Mh where the fuel cap is. There are two hoses, one large hose for adding gas the other small hose is the vent. If the vent hose (small) is lower than the gas hose (large) or has a dip in it the gas won't flow properly. Mine had a slight dip in the vent hose and it took forever to add gas. I loosened one end of the hose and move it so it was completely level and also loosened the clamps and raised the vent hose above the fill hose and I can add gas at full speed.

Hope that helps.

We love our Dolphin
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Sorry Morris, i just noticed you said "new batteries".

When you're plugged in are the batteries being charged? Have you checked it with a volt meter? Is the inverter on? There is a 'disconnect' switch on the left as you enter the Mh., that should disconnect the battereies from the system.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I believe the "Disconnect" switch by the entry door only disconnects the "House" batteries. Recently installed a "Knife Blade" disconnect on the chassis battery which solved by battery drain problem. Unfortunately, you cannot "Disconnect" the various drains on the chassis battery without a separate switch.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
After following Belgian's advice with the vent hose, if it still takes on fuel slowly, use your jacks to lift the rear of the coach before fueling. Some gas station ramps are gently sloped away from the pumps, causing gravity to be your enemy.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 on a 04 chassis. The fueling is slow because of the many bends in the fueling tube. The disconnect switch does not disconnect the CO2 or the propane detectors. that being said these shouldn't run the house batteries down in a week.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the batteries, I installed two knife blade switches and corrected the problem, It sounds like you are draining faster than I was, but for the cost I would do that first.. Switches were about $30 each at Camping World, then a cable from O'Reilly Auto and I now go 6 or 8 weeks between charging up. I could get U a picture later if that would help.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do a Google search, ( parasitic drain rv ) you will find this is a common problem.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I had problems with slow fuel filling and always stopping. Also the fuel nozzle was was difficult to insert in the filler pipe because of the angle of the filler pipe. I found the factory had used too much length of rubber hoses that connect to the filler pipe assembly causing a kink into smaller air hose and the poor filler assembly angle. I removed about 3" from both hoses to correct both problems.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #11

My RV was awful when trying to fill...the pump would continually click off! I checked all the hoses and saw nothing that I could change so I make a point picking a station pump with the front of the RV lower that the rear and if the pump handle is twisted more to the top I have no problem filling.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My 2004 Seabreeze has both the same problems, if in storage more than a week, I use blade switches the I have installed to disconnect all batteries, house and chassis. Solution for gas fill, same as mentioned, pull in stations to use slopes to keep driver side rear at highest point.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

My gas vent return hose was full of gas, from overfill maybe. I loosened the clamps and pulled one end off the tube and drained about a cup out. Usually filled fine after that. (former Dolphin owner)

Tags
dolphin, workhorse, chassis