Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
If a person would change out a fridge to a household fridge how would he power it when not plugged in or with the genny on?
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77hmstd View Post
Went fishing around on u tube. After watching a few(google Norcold) I reset my circuit board checked for power and propane set her on propane and voila it kept running and is at 38 degrees this morning switched to a/c and it still works imagine that. I guess I will push it back in the hole and save up for when it dies all the way.
It sounds like the boys at the dealer repair shop need to know about "You Tube". It might make real repairmen out of them. They could charge for the amount of time they spent watching the video and the amount of time they spent resetting the circuit board, plus coffee break.
I hope this corrects your problems.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonational View Post
If a person would change out a fridge to a household fridge how would he power it when not plugged in or with the genny on?
Typically you add an Inverter & the appropriate amount of batteries for the Load of the all electric fridge.
dapperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #18

Jim. I have similar coach. Norecold is junk from the start. I installed on my boat and will install in my National when the time comes, a unit from Vitrifrigo. They all use the same compressor( no cold, dometic etc) but the box is the BEST on the Vitrifrigo, and the door closes and latches like a Mercedes. They have a unit that fits directly into the slot for your Nocold. David
Post43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
It sounds like the boys at the dealer repair shop need to know about "You Tube". It might make real repairmen out of them. They could charge for the amount of time they spent watching the video and the amount of time they spent resetting the circuit board, plus coffee break.
I hope this corrects your problems.
I have been mechanicing for a long time and I found out a long time ago that if you no not know how it works you cannot fix it. Exception being if you keep changing parts you eventually might hit on it but that way sure ain't cheap. I've been schooled on automotive refridgeration but these ammonia things are a different animal.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post43 View Post
Jim. I have similar coach. Norecold is junk from the start. I installed on my boat and will install in my National when the time comes, a unit from Vitrifrigo. They all use the same compressor( no cold, dometic etc) but the box is the BEST on the Vitrifrigo, and the door closes and latches like a Mercedes. They have a unit that fits directly into the slot for your Nocold. David
David, looked at the Vitrifrigo web site, didn't see any 12cu items?

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post43 View Post
RV refrigerators do not use compressors. They use an adsorption process for the cooling system. The chemicals in the system are heating by propane or electric to start the cooling cycle. You can read about absorption refrigeration here.
HowStuffWorks "Gas and Propane Refrigerators"

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
NorCold Is JUNK! My 2004 came with the 1200 series 4 door. I bought the coach in 2006. The refer never got below 42*. In 2008 it quit cooling as the cooling unit got blocked and would not circulate the ammonia. Since I had a full service warranty contract I got with the coach, I had an RV Repair Service refer techs replace the cooling unit with a NEW NorCold unit. Fast forward to July 2011 and the unit again quit cooling, the day before I was to leave on a trip out west on a 9,000 mile, 9 month trip. I had a small refer and freezer in my shop and put them in the coach were the lazyboy chair was. While I was in Reno. NV. I met someone who told me about an RV dealer in Houston, TX. who bought a large warehouse full of Dometic 13 cu side by side refer/freezer units, with water/ice dispensers, that would fit in the space were the Norcold was. He had a 2009 coach and his 4 door NorCold quit and he stopped in Houston and they installed the Dometic. The price was $2,300 (list was $6,100) plus $510 to install as the window at the dinette had to be remove to get it in the coach and they re-did the wood trim. This unit is far superior, reads both freezer and refer temps., I have it on the third setting of five and freezer is at 2* and refer is at 36-37* and it is summer time in Florida. The cooling unit has two, yes two separate cooling units and has large dual fans! Check out PPL Motor Homes in Houston, TX. @ 713-988-5555 or 800-755-4775 to see if they have any left.
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, norcold