Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

2005 Tropical Step Cover problem

Hi,

I've used the search tab but I have a few more questions; The step cover is retracted, the 15 amp fuse outside the driver seat is good. There is no noise or movement when the switch is used, and it can not be moved by pulling on it. I went below the chassis with a flashlight, and it seems like the motor and mechanism might be inside. There are some other items mounted on the side of the boxed out area, but I don't think that they are part of this system.

I assume there is a screw jack mechanism, but how do I get past the vertical carpeted face of the step cover?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Steve in WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #2

I had the same problem a couple years ago with mine. If I remember correctly the motor is also controlled from a door contact switch(when the door is opened the cover will retract). There was a problem with this circuit, it was not supplying a ground to the extend/retract switch. I ended up bypassing the contact switch by borrowed a ground from another circuit behind the extend/retract switch panel.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm also having the problem. I've changed the switch and still won't click or move. I need to know what the door switch looks like and where it might be.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1997 36' Dolphin M.H. As to the entrance step, as you are entering the M.H. just up to the left on the outside of the sink their are two placks one is for the Elec. to the inside of the M.H. the other is a row of switches.
First is for the step the second is for the outdoor porch light, third is a over head light between the counter and the dinnet set.
Then the other switch controals the Batterys for the lights and all the other things which is red when it's on.
When the door is close and you press the step button.the step will go out and stay out until you turn the key to start the engine or press the step switch then it will retrack.
Note: When you are park adjacent to a curb (not all curbs are 8" high) some are higher so you do not want to park to close to the curb because if your step hits the curb it will break the arm that moves it out and in.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm actually looking for the interlock that's on the entry door. At least that's what I'm trying to figger. I've still got to get underneath and recheck all the wiring I can find. I replaced the carpet in the stairwell with wood and had to pull the stairlight to do it. After a couple of times of running it in and out to trim the wood for clearance, it quit working.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Does anyone that may have an 06 Tropical confirm that the step cover is designed to retract when the door is opened? Ours doesn't, and until I read this thread didn't know that was a feature. Ours extends and retracts normally w/the rocker switch, but it doesn't retract when the door opens.
Thx, Don
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

nor does ours on our 2007
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
The step cover on my 06 Tradewinds does not retract when the door is opened. It seems to be entirely separate from the door circuitry. With the door either opened or closed the step cover will move by operating the switch.
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You are talking about the inside step cover and not the outside steps themselves; correct? Had an 04 T396 tropiCal and the inside step cover did not have a door interlock. Only worked with open/close from the rocker switch.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh durn,there goes any ideas of an easy fix. I really wanted to be able to fix it myself so I didn't have to spend the big bucks for a technician to do it.I will start at the fuse again,then see if there is a loose wire somewhere underneath,then check the switch again. If that doesn't do it,then back to my shop again. The reason I say "my shop" is that with all the money I've spent there,I should own it by now.
It is amazing the difference in noise and cold when that step cover isn't deployed when your on the road.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
JVJ

It has been awhile since I have been on the forum. However, I do recall that this problem also happed often on the Pacifica coach. That is why my retractable floor is sitting in my garage right now and not in the Pacifica. In the Pacifica the problem would more times than not be the acual motor, which in itself is tucked almost up against the driver side wall under the driver seat of that long tunnel that the steps with draw into.
I am sure that if you use the search function it will bring up a few well written How To Replace the motor. As well as a few ideas to make the job a little easier. If I recall the replacement motor was a little over $100, but that was almost 2 years ago.
If if would help I could take a few photos of what it looks like in this area since I don't have my slide out platform in at this time.
Just let me know.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote