Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
I have just found this forum and very glad to see the level of expertise I've seen so far. I hope I can get some guidance with my very frustrating problem.

I bought my 2005 Dolphin LX 6320 slightly used via a Bakersfield, CA dealership in Oct. '05. They had taken it back on consignment from the original buyer with about 4K miles on it but otherwise like brand new making it a pretty good buy. I was replacing an older Winnebago Brave that was pretty bullet proof and as such dealt well with an awkward transition I have into my residence driveway. Unfortunately, after several months and a few trips through that chassis twisting drive approach, the Dolphin with it's large, 2 piece wrap around winshield with nothing but rubber and glue holding it in, broke the glue seal and popped the windshield out on a subsequent mid winter trip to Tahoe. Lots of duct tape and kid gloves got us thru the trip so I took it back to the dealer right afterward to get the windshield repaired.

This particular dealer subbed windshield repair out to a local glass shop and I was kind of concerned when I found that they were doing the fix in the parking lot out of the back of a small chevy S-10. My concern turned out to be justified as after having only driven the coach the 100+ miles home and immediately back into storage (now stored to avoid the driveway problem) the very next trip we took about a month later found the windshield popping out again. Lot of discussions with the dealer to get the fix redone followed up with major step by step input from National RV as to how the fix should be done found us doing a second repair within two months of the first. Major, major emphasis on the process and the need for the correct Urethane glue during assembly.

Picked up the coach again, headed home and once again, within a very short timeframe, the windshield was popping again. The dealer was swearing up and down that the repair had been done right and I was simply swearing up and down out of frustration. Stopped the credit card payment, called National RV and scheduled the rig in to the Perris, CA facility (pre-bankruptcy of course) for them to do the repair and act as mediator on the dealer charges. Perris service facility did the windshield reset in 8/06 and found that "NO" glue at all had been used in prior repairs at dealer so that settled that issue and I was on my way home thinking my troubles were over.

Since then, I have also been very attentive to avoiding any chassis twisting road conditions but it's nearly impossible to avoid an occasional mild transition into a gas station or rv park. It is also difficult to avoid being subjected to the cabinet rattling distress of the undermaintained roads of our current budget stressed state of CA. For whatever cause, the windshield started showing small signs, mostly audible (it squeaks as the windshield starts to move within the rubber seal) several month ago and now we are in full pre-popping mode again.

First, I put in several calls to Workhorse to see why the w-22 chassis is causing so much longitudinal twist to eventually work the windshield glue loose and they take the 5th as they do not know what National RV did re mounting the coach but swear that the chassis should not be contributing to the problem. Their suspension, they claim, should be able to handle even difficult transitions although they don't recommend seeking them out for sport. Seems like a smoke screen to me as the coach seems to be mounted flat on the chassis rails and if the rails don't twist, I don't see how the coach can twist that much but I don't claim to be a design engineer. I only know that if I drive over a transition that goes from a flat surface to a slightly rising right turn, the windshield, when observed at the lower left windshield post, moves out of the seal approx 3/4" which is close to opening an air gap.

National RV, of course is history so they are of no help. I obviously need to find an RV service facility that has expertise in this area and am willing to travel a reasonable distance to find one. Has anyone had similar experiences or know of a facility you might recommend to look at the whole problem... chassis, coach mount and ultimately a long lasting windshield reset? Any input would be appreciated.
calflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I have just found this forum and very glad to see the level of expertise I've seen so far. I hope I can get some guidance with my very frustrating problem.

I bought my 2005 Dolphin LX 6320 slightly used via a Bakersfield, CA dealership in Oct. '05. They had taken it back on consignment from the original buyer with about 4K miles on it but otherwise like brand new making it a pretty good buy. I was replacing an older Winnebago Brave that was pretty bullet proof and as such dealt well with an awkward transition I have into my residence driveway. Unfortunately, after several months and a few trips through that chassis twisting drive approach, the Dolphin with it's large, 2 piece wrap around winshield with nothing but rubber and glue holding it in, broke the glue seal and popped the windshield out on a subsequent mid winter trip to Tahoe. Lots of duct tape and kid gloves got us thru the trip so I took it back to the dealer right afterward to get the windshield repaired.

This particular dealer subbed windshield repair out to a local glass shop and I was kind of concerned when I found that they were doing the fix in the parking lot out of the back of a small chevy S-10. My concern turned out to be justified as after having only driven the coach the 100+ miles home and immediately back into storage (now stored to avoid the driveway problem) the very next trip we took about a month later found the windshield popping out again. Lot of discussions with the dealer to get the fix redone followed up with major step by step input from National RV as to how the fix should be done found us doing a second repair within two months of the first. Major, major emphasis on the process and the need for the correct Urethane glue during assembly.

Picked up the coach again, headed home and once again, within a very short timeframe, the windshield was popping again. The dealer was swearing up and down that the repair had been done right and I was simply swearing up and down out of frustration. Stopped the credit card payment, called National RV and scheduled the rig in to the Perris, CA facility (pre-bankruptcy of course) for them to do the repair and act as mediator on the dealer charges. Perris service facility did the windshield reset in 8/06 and found that "NO" glue at all had been used in prior repairs at dealer so that settled that issue and I was on my way home thinking my troubles were over.

Since then, I have also been very attentive to avoiding any chassis twisting road conditions but it's nearly impossible to avoid an occasional mild transition into a gas station or rv park. It is also difficult to avoid being subjected to the cabinet rattling distress of the undermaintained roads of our current budget stressed state of CA. For whatever cause, the windshield started showing small signs, mostly audible (it squeaks as the windshield starts to move within the rubber seal) several month ago and now we are in full pre-popping mode again.

First, I put in several calls to Workhorse to see why the w-22 chassis is causing so much longitudinal twist to eventually work the windshield glue loose and they take the 5th as they do not know what National RV did re mounting the coach but swear that the chassis should not be contributing to the problem. Their suspension, they claim, should be able to handle even difficult transitions although they don't recommend seeking them out for sport. Seems like a smoke screen to me as the coach seems to be mounted flat on the chassis rails and if the rails don't twist, I don't see how the coach can twist that much but I don't claim to be a design engineer. I only know that if I drive over a transition that goes from a flat surface to a slightly rising right turn, the windshield, when observed at the lower left windshield post, moves out of the seal approx 3/4" which is close to opening an air gap.

National RV, of course is history so they are of no help. I obviously need to find an RV service facility that has expertise in this area and am willing to travel a reasonable distance to find one. Has anyone had similar experiences or know of a facility you might recommend to look at the whole problem... chassis, coach mount and ultimately a long lasting windshield reset? Any input would be appreciated.
calflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Rather than post my former windshield problems in several areas, I would suggest that you do a search on this forum. Just put "windshield" in the search box. You will find hours of reading! Joe
Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
JVJ

I hate telling people to use the search function, it seems like a cold blow off kind of an answer when someone new is seeking advice. However, in this case I have to reccommend the Search function...not to be cold and crass, but because I have read about the front window popping problems and some good information as to a cure to the problem on line. I just don't recall it well enough to pass the information along. And sure would hate to give bad information due to poor memory. I do remember the subject of different glues being used and or trimming of the opening of the windshield, but not in detail.
If you still have problems finding a solution, you may also want to try visiting the NationalRV site over on Yahoo.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

Let me know what you find out..

Dear CalFlyer,

Just finished a trip to Disneyland on the California wonderful roads.. I too have now a whistling coming through my drivers side window and was thinking of caulking it when I ran across your post. I would hate to have that thing pop out on a trip.. I did push on it pretty hard and found no play in it but maybe I am missing something.

Any Advise you discover would be greatly appreciated....

webmrkt
webmrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just discovered that the left w/s on my Tradewinds has started to pop and the right side has slipped down. The gasket on both sides has broken and will have to be replaced and they are $350... The guy that does all the work around here ordered mine a week ago and has sent three of them back as they sent the wrong ones.. Ain't that cute..
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #7

I have a 2000 Tradwinds with the same problem.After replacing both sides a couple times and resetting numerous times I have decided to close the gaps with black tape and make a flexible cover where the windshield protrudes on the upper left corner to allow movement and keep the water out.I'm leary to glue since the cabin flexes so much it might shatter the glass.I even bought the tool to install the spline.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote