Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2022, 06:47 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Check the wires connected on the LP furnace I think the t-stat gets its power at a junction on that furnace. Also there may be a on off switch on the furnace if I remember correctly. Itís an Atwood you can open up that access door and look for it. Did you try your bedroom gas furnace if you have one?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 07:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Check the wires connected on the LP furnace I think the t-stat gets its power at a junction on that furnace. Also there may be a on off switch on the furnace if I remember correctly. Itís an Atwood you can open up that access door and look for it. Did you try your bedroom gas furnace if you have one?
I don't think it has a bedroom furnace. I will open it up tomorrow and see what the wires look like. I applied 12 volts to the wall thermostat and now its all working. I know I didn't fix the problem but its been running for 3 hours now. I have been cycling the unit back and forth and still works. Im sure I will find a loose or bad connection at the junction. Will keep you guys posted. Than ks.
TFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #31

This may help you in troubleshooting your problem.

https://rvcustomproducts.com/111979

Fred
fredbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbon View Post
This may help you in troubleshooting your problem.

https://rvcustomproducts.com/111979

Fred
Thank you,
Old 11-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar problem with a 2007 Dolphin we used to have and it turned out to be the thermostat controls. When you set the controls to electric, the basement heat pump runs supplying heat but if the room temperature is greater than 5 degrees below the thermostat setting, the gas furnace automatically kicks in and supplies heat until the 5 degree delta lessons to less than than 3 degrees I believe. It's my understanding that the circuitry in the thermostat controls this.
CM 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Assuming your talking about the rooftop mounted HVAC unit - you probably have 2 problems.
Rooftop cooling or heat pump units need 120VAC to operate - 12VDC is not needed..
The thermostat operates on 12v, so yes you will need AC power but it will also need 12v if the system operates on a thermostat.

Is there a 12v disconnect somewhere that has the house battery disconnected?
Old 11-27-2022, 06:53 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the Salesman’s switch is turned off. Mine is Red colored by the front door. It turns off all 12v in the coach. Check it.
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #36

Well It has worked for the last four days without a problem. When I put 12 volts to the thermostat it must have charged something. Maybe something it the electoral board.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Timmy , I have the service manual on your HVAC unit . I can email it to you if you P.M. me your email address .
Happy to hear you have it working .There may have been a loose connection on the T-stat that you solved while working on it .
Old 11-27-2022, 09:35 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
The thermostat gets 12cvolts from the furnace control board, accessed through the outside panel. There is a switch that also serves as a circuit breaker. Bypass it and you should get the display. There are also fuses on the board.
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
I have the same system in my 2006 Journey. Doo you have an "AUX Batt" switch on the dash? If so, that must be in the "ON" position as it is the connection for your house batteries. Everything 12 volts inside the coach needs that switch on to operate. The A/C, Heat, Refrig, Propane Detector all have 12 volt control systems powered by those batteries. If that switch is on and some things work and others don't, look for you 12 volt circuit breaker panel as you may have a blown fuse. My panel is in a compartment right below the refrig and there is another in the front of the coach accessed through a "hood" on the outside front of the vehicle.

Dan
As Dan says, you need 12 volts to run everything involved with ac, furnace, and such. Those systems all use 12 volt thermostats and control circuitry to function. Start with making sure you have all your 12 volt systems working and check all the fuses.
Brave Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
As a thought are you aware of the National RV website. Lots of information about national Dolphins. I have a 2005 and that site has been as helpful to as this site. Both provide useful information.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Assuming your talking about the rooftop mounted HVAC unit - you probably have 2 problems.
Rooftop cooling or heat pump units need 120VAC to operate - 12VDC is not needed..

If your talking about the LP fueled furnace - they do need 12 volts to operate - no 120VAC is needed.

If your talking about the dash air and heat - that is all 12 volt and is a mixture of chassis and coach builder supplied parts. You will need to confirm and get documentation for both your chassis and coach to figure out who provided what.

For a coach the age of yours - you need to replace the convertor anyway. Those old linear convertorís will cook your batteries. Progressive Dynamics (and a few others) makes drop in replacement 4 stage convertorís.
12vdc is absolutely needed for the heat pumps to operate! That is the control voltage for the thermostat(s).
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Quote:

If your talking about the LP fueled furnace - they do need 12 volts to operate - no 120VAC is needed.

If your talking about the dash air and heat - that is all 12 volt and is a mixture of chassis and coach builder supplied parts. You will need to confirm and get documentation for both your chassis and coach to figure out who provided what.

For a coach the age of yours - you need to replace the convertor anyway. Those old linear convertorís will cook your batteries. Progressive Dynamics (and a few others) makes drop in replacement 4 stage convertorís.
There should be no need to replace the converter/charger unless it is bad. 2006 is a pup compared to my original and perfectly functioning 1998 unit that has yet to cook my batteries. I leave it plugged in 24/7 unless boondocking.
m.elliott63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, national